AMD Batch 5 Guild

waves to batch 5 chums

DIY 7840U

Board only
R5 7640U
No updates yet
What SoDIMMS are y’all getting?

I got this one from Kingston: SO-DIMM 32 GB DDR5-5600 (2x 16 GB) KF556S40IBK2-32

Almost the same price as the slightly slower Crucial Kit, so I went for that.

1 Like

I got this set as well.

1 Like

Hello, AMD Batch 5! To help you pass the time :upside_down_face:

What choices did you select for your order?

Base
  • DIY
  • Pre-built
  • Mainboard and parts separately

0 voters

CPU
  • AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U
  • AMD Ryzen™ 7 7840U

0 voters

Memory
  • DDR5-5600 - 8GB (1 x 8GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 16GB (1 x 16GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 16GB (2 x 8GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 32GB (1 x 32GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 64GB (2 x 32GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 32GB (2 x 16GB)
  • None (bring your own)

0 voters

Storage
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 500GB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 1TB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 1TB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 2TB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 2TB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 4TB
  • None (bring your own)

0 voters

Operating System
  • Windows 11 Home (Download)
  • Windows 11 Pro (Download)
  • None (bring your own)

0 voters

Bezel
  • Black
  • Gray
  • Orange
  • Green
  • Lavender
  • Red
  • Clear

0 voters

Keyboard
  • US English
  • British English
  • English International
  • Belgian
  • French
  • French Canadian
  • German
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Spanish (Latin American)
  • Spanish (Spain)
  • Traditional Chinese (Cangjie & Zhuyin)
  • Blank ANSI
  • Blank ISO
  • Clear ANSI
  • Clear ISO

0 voters

Power Adapter
  • Power Adapter - 60W - US/Canada
  • Power Adapter - 60W - EU
  • Power Adapter - 60W - UK
  • Power Adapter - 60W - AU
  • None (bring your own)

0 voters

Expansion Cards
  • USB-C
  • USB-A
  • HDMI (3rd Gen)
  • Ethernet
  • DisplayPort (2nd Gen)
  • MicroSD
  • Audio
  • Storage - 250 GB
  • Storage - 1 TB
  • None

0 voters

1 Like

Batch 3 is on the way, it seems! Folks over there are on fire.

The interval between batches are way less than I expected, so I feel pretty good about the ETA now!

6 Likes

Small reminder for anyone who ordered board only this time around, you need to buy a button battery for the cmos. They haven’t posted too much about it but it was mentioned in their release blog.

1 Like

Me too! It seems like it may no longer be a Christmas gift but actually a thanksgiving present to myself now.

4 Likes

Fingers crossed they’ll send our invoices on black Friday :wink:

1 Like

Hi there guys.

While we wait, I have a subject to discuss on.

For some time now, I am wandering to what OS I will install on my machine. It is either Windows or Linux. I have used Windows all my life but since I am a junior Web Developer, I am thinking of Linux…

What is the OS you will have and why?

since I am a junior Web Developer, I am thinking of Linux…

As a web developer, you’ll have to be familiar with Linux since that’s what your backend code will probably run on. Unless you need some Windows-specific software, there’s no harm switching to something like Fedora 39 (for basic usage there isn’t even much of a learning curve).

I use Fedora because of various “philosophical” reasons, but the reason I switched to Linux in the first place was for practical reasons - it’s just easier to develop on. Especially after you learn shell scripting, you’ll want to automate a bunch of stuff (PowerShell is so much less intuitive imo). Using Linux just reduces the friction to learning new things (self hosting services, networking, etc.) and makes it more likely you’ll do so.

2 Likes

im not a developer but i love learning new skills, ill probably do a dual boot linux/windows 11. ill probably do mint, since ive used it before, or ill do fedora 39. i do still need windows for work/ school since autodesk doesnt do linux for some bizarre reason.

windows 11/debian 12 dualboot using grub on a ssd I already have

I am thinking of getting Void Linux with Windows 11 installed on the expansion card. I am a long time Arch user as well, but I don’t think I am getting Arch on my Framework this time. Here are some reasons:

Q. Why not Ubuntu or Fedora?
They are too big and comes with unnecessary toolchains that I rarely use. I also have an entire dotfile repo set up, and pre-installed stuffs get in my way, instead of helping me.

Q. Why not Arch?
systemd is amazing—don’t get me wrong—but they do come with unnecessary daemons that not very useful for laptops. I’m not going to be spinning up multiple VMs and containers with internal local network among them, at least on my laptop, so…
I may still go back to Arch if I’m not super happy with Void, though.

Q. Why dual-boot Windows?
Games.

Well, with that said, if you are new to Linux space, just have a try with Ubuntu or Fedora. These two distributions are tailored for general desktop usage, and provide easy installers that are comparable (or even better!) experience to Windows installers.

Not sure yet.
Intention is to run at least linux.
Windows either as dual boot, or as virtual machine within linux.
I might start with that second option, just to incentivise myself to use linux as much as possible.

Which linux version is still a big question mark.
I am contemplating installing 64GB RAM, which will apparently not work with older kernels. Also Wayland would be nice to have…

Reading your replies and doing some research, I believe the best is to start with Fedora 38 (not 39 Beta), since it is tested and recommended by Framework’s community. If things get hard, I will go for dual boot with W10. I just hope the newly released AMD systems will coop with it.

@rangho I see you are a veteran in using Linux, this is not my case :smile: . It would be too much of a difference for me between Windows and one of these naked Linux distributions.

@Mark1 wouldn’t virtual machine make the Windows run poorly?

Nope.

3 Likes

To some degree, yes. It really depends on what you’re going to do.
CPU-wise, KVM provides more than enough performance for running Windows, and QXL/Spice display is pretty snappy for some light works.

Graphic-intensive tasks such as gaming or video editing—that might require a full GPU passthrough to be usable. (I do this on my desktop, so basically having two PCs in one box.)

If you need Windows for very specific Windows-only applications, it is definitely a viable option.

@Mark1 if you are going to dual boot windows with linux, install windows first.

otherwise windows can corrupt your linux install if installed afterwards.

i found that out the hard way

It would run less optimal, yes.
But for my usecase it would be fine on this beast of a system.
I would use if for some ms office work, some tools that don’t have a linux alternative, and basically as a psychological thing; knowing I have it available on my laptop removes some anxiety. Maybe I should call it Wine-XL :laughing:
Also it doesn’t need a fixed separate partition. So it won’t use up any dedicated space.

Downside is that it’s obviously less powerful.
And it means I will have to rely on the linux power saving/sleep/hibernation stuff, which still makes me a bit uncomfortable.
I have been using a macbook air for 12 years now. And still every time I open the lid, it is instant on, and did not lose much power. I’m afraid my 12 year newer laptop won’t compete properly here :S