AMD Batch 7 Guild

Yes, I think there is at least some amount of heat dissipation from the hinge area. I remember that on the Framework subreddit, there were some people voicing concern when the laptops are run with the lid closed, the temperatures used to run high. Granted, this was with the the intel chipset which is known to run warmer than the AMD.

I think the fix is easy enough - given that the laptop has a 180 degree hinge, one can just keep the laptop open and set the display settings to “display on external display”.

Delivered today in Australia…already had the 3.03 bios on it so saves a step…ram and SSD worked 1st go…used the popular 32GB Crucial kit that I got on a good deal on Amazon.

Loading the drivers now.

Mine arrived on Friday on Spain, and it’s now running EndeavourOS without any flaw I can find.

Anny one else notices that if you have the lid open and charge the laptop gets cpu temp of 50°c and when you close it goes up to a temp of 85°c ? Strange behaviour.

Mine arrived today in Canada.

I got it together quickly. I had to reinsert one memory module to get it detect, but that only took a minute.

Unfortunately, I got a bad screen with a dead row and a few stuck green pixels. Hopefully support will respond quickly.

Framework Support is super busy these days given the high number of shipments, so it is best to be patient. I raised a request ticket due a faulty input cover and it took them 5 days to respond. That said, once they did respond - the process moved quickly.

Your temperatures go up by charging alone? Thats rather concerning isnt it? Or while under load? For that its easy to explain, when you open the laptop, do you see the vents between screen and main body? those are air intakes (or outtakes?) when closed those dont work that well anymore.

bad picture is bad, but it kinda shows what i am talking about

@BrunoDeVries yes it is only while charging. The only difference is lid open or closed witch gives me that high delta in temp. Very strange.

Is it normal for the battery to drain when the lid is closed. The pc was still on but in sleep. Opened it in the morning to a dead battery. Now I just turn the machine off but there was no updating or tasks running in the background that I could think of to cause it to die overnight.

Apart from that it’s a fantastic laptop

If the lid is closed, it usually just goes into standby, which still uses some power, just less. Some systems go into suspend when in standby for a longer time or when the battery runs low, but that depends on the OS and configuration.

I’d turn the laptop off or put it into suspend if I don’t use it for a longer time while not plugged in.

There are also some issues with the Framework where it does wake up from standby e.g. when unplugging power or receiving Wifi signals. These issues will likely be fixed in the future.

1 Like

If you’re using Windows, press the windows key then ‘lid’ to get to the settings which control what you want to happen when you close or open the lid.

Hibernate is a complete power down. Sleep shuts a lot of things down but there’s still a small battery drain (but it’s quicker to restart again).

I’ll definitely switch it to Hibernate, thanks for the suggestion