AMD CPUs please

Alder Lake (Intel 12th gen) supports DDR4 as well as seen with DDR4-equipped LGA1700 motherboards.

But yes, Zen3+ (Ryzen 6000) seems to not support DDR4 at all.

Yes I know it does support DDR4.
ASUS even make adapters to use DDR4 on their DDR5 motherboards.

The point being, that it was designed around DDR5 and the is a performance increase over DDR4 SODIMMā€™s.

Marginal for CPU performance, much greater most likely for iGPU

I expect with AMD requiring DDR5, 12th gen upgrades will also be DDR5 so as to retain economies of scale in part costs

Fair enough then. I stand corrected

2 Likes

Another vote for AMD.

2 Likes

It may or may not be relevant than the Ryzen 5000C series has been announced for Chromebooks, notable in that Chomebooks use CoreBoot.:

Basically they seem to be rebrands of the existing 5000U series processors (albeit with a few clockspeed tweaks) with the exception of the 5125C which looks to be what the Zen-based Athlons used to be (2core/4thread with no turbo and only 3 iGPU compute units).

That being said, the lack of USB4/Thunderbolt is probably still the elephant in the room and, as I previously stated, we may have to wait for Ryzen 7000 mobile chips which is already known to be undergoing CoreBoot development (Ryzen 6000 seems to have been skipped; I canā€™t help but wonder if Google also doesnā€™t want to touch Microsoft Pluton for basically being a competing solution - ā€œGoogle TPMā€ is even mentioned in the slidedeck which obviously just utilizes the processorā€™s TPM functionality. Itā€™ll be very interesting to see if mobile Ryzen 7000 has Pluton or not and if the 7000C variants differ in that regard).

1 Like

To be honest, Intel CPU is the only thing holding me back from purchasing this wonderful laptop.

5 Likes

I know the 12th gen parts have just came out, but Iā€™m putting a bump on this as 12th gen has the same (bad) iGPU which I have found does slow me down a lot when using my FW. AMDā€™s iGPUs are considerably better, so would be an instant buy from me.

1 Like

Now I have no idea what your software configuration is but I do want to at least mention that Linux is basically a requirement in order to get anywhere near the full potential out of Intelā€™s graphics hardware due to extremely sub-par Windows graphics drivers vs their extremely well-regarded Linux graphics drivers.

ā€¦and I say this as someone typing from a Ryzen 4800U!

(fun fact, Intelā€™s Windows drivers have consistently been heavily rumored to be the reason why Intelā€™s discrete GPUs keep being delayed and that the hardware has actually been ready for months now)

Also it goes without saying that dual-channel RAM of not-slow speeds is always going to be needed to get the most out of any integrated graphics, AMD or Intel (though, if the iGPU is really weak then, theoretically, youā€™ll hit bottlenecks in the GPU cores before the memory bandwidth becomes an issue - Iā€™m thinking more like Intel 945GMA-class stuff from the mid 2000s)

Iā€™ve got a fistful of dollars here just waiting for the ryzen options.

3 Likes

I will instantly buy, when an AMD option gets released. I need the better iGPU performance.

5 Likes

Posting here again. Happy user of a 4700U and 4900H, as well as a 5900HX that Iā€™ve tested at work. Would love to see a 6800U board or newer become available, but I guess we will have to wait and see after the shortages.

I am also waiting for AMD models. While I understand the supply constraints make it difficult for Framework to have a clear road map, it would be appreciable if they were at least forthcoming and transparent about their plans and rough timeline about it.

3 Likes

I would love AMD as well. Next generation mobile ryzen really needs thunderbolt. That would make my setup complete.

1 Like

The 6800U graphics performance is genuinely impressive for integrated graphics. Iā€™m eagerly awaiting the Zen4/RDNA3 APUs - I would definitely upgrade for that.

4 Likes

YES! This :slight_smile: I want to vote with my wallet on a few topics. Iā€™m super pumped about Frame.Work and right to repair.

Lately, Iā€™ve not been too jazzed with Intelā€™s adding code for Software-Defined Silicon to the Linux kernel (and probably Windows too). It feels like rent seeking behavior from a company who really doesnā€™t need to get into subscriptions or other tiering like that. Having the opportunity to buy a right-to-repair-focused AMD-based laptop would be a great alternative!

(yes, I know that SDS is probably going to be aimed at enterprise markets at the start, but it feels like BMW building cars with seat heaters but making users pay a monthly subscription to use them, ya know?)

5 Likes

A 6800U Framework is an instant buy for me

6 Likes

Fair enough considering the ARM Macs have Thunderbolt. Iā€™m excited to see how and where Framework heads in the future!

They have said before that itā€™s cost, they havenā€™t gone through the certification process.
IMO that makes sense, better off spending that money shipping more products.

1 Like

If they release and AMD mainboard, then it would be absolutely stupid to not support ECC! The AMD mobile CPUs support it defaultly and theyā€™d get free promoted from Linus Torvalds! He would 100% shout out frame.work because heā€™s been vocal about missing ECC, especially in laptops. It wouldnā€™t have to come with the laptop, but it would still be relatively tribal for the motherboard to support it.

1 Like