AMD Framework USB-C charger compatibility issues

I like the Sirius Eggtronic. It only has one USB C port but it’s 60W in a tiny package. I plug my phone into the Framework to charge.

hm, seems to be on sale right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Eggtronic-Sirius-Universal-Charger-Adapter/dp/B07XYW7YJC

My bad, then replace “suddenly” with “near the load step rate” (which is pretty fast to me, with 150mA/µs) and “gradually” with “over hundreds of milliseconds / some seconds” (like at least some devices seem to do). I didn’t know there was this requirement (honestly, I don’t work with the USB-C spec a lot, I’m a software dev and electronics hobbyist, not an electrical engineer specialized on USB-C), but that’s what I meant with “suddenly” and “gradually”.

The point still stands, a charger charging some devices does not mean it is spec-compliant, one might for example not work when current is increased anywhere near the load step rate, as lots of devices don’t do that as far as I know.
And even if that is not the case, there will be other factors on the charger side that could cause some devices to charge and some to not charge (the sudden vs. gradual current draw example was just an example for the general point).

I’ve been using Innergie C6 for many years with different devices, including my Framework, and I truly believe that this is absolutely the best charger there is (compact and has US/EU/UK plugs). Never had any issues with it.

Any Anker that can do 60W (or more) on a single port. Anker isn’t always the best, but it should be a safe pick if you’re not sure. I have the Anker 747 which offers up to 150W across multiple ports, up to 100W on a single port.

I’ve also used the Apple 67W usb-c adapter, and the Apple 87W usb-c adapter, they also work fine (even before the recent EC firmware update).

I forgot to mention … Framework sells power adapters! If they don’t work, then you can really complain to support :wink:

2 Likes

My " UGREEN USB C Charger 65W Plug 2-Port GaN Type C " ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CDDSVN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) works great (AMD 13") and has two USB-C ports, one slightly higher wattage.

You’ve seen the semioffical dedicated thread too, right - Which third-party chargers are you using with your Framework Laptop? ?

1 Like

Something really weird is happening since applying the EC firmware update. Charging rate seems to be unstable. Looks like the laptop is reducing the charging rate periodically and then slowly ramping up to the maximum allowed (based on battery % full). This is slowing down the overall charging time considerably:

Any ideas?

1 Like

What charger are you using?
Looks like the charger is not able to deliver the energy for the system and the battery at the same time, what would explain the unstable charging rate.
I would assume it is a 60W charger.

Are you sure it’s not just the laptop using the rest to run itself?

Please do a side by side comparison of the “Charge Rate” the “Total System Power” and the “Charge Level”.
It could be like the others mentioned that your FW draws more power when the charging rate is dropping.

Also if you run a CPU Benchmark like Cinebench then you should see a constant charging speed.

Thanks all. It is a 100W charger, which prior to the update would be super stable, ramp up to 60W charge rate of battery (regardless of CPU draw, as the charger can provide more), and then progressively ramp down as the battery charges (which is normal).

Well that makes it look a lot weirder. At some states of charge it should easily do 50-60ish into the battery and have a bunch to spare for the machine. Are you using the same cable as before?

Yes - nothing else changed…

That is indeed weird.

Can you share some more details? Like charger make andmodel, which port is used and all that. Does windows show what the charger negotiated somewhere?

I have a USB-PD analyzer at home (and I am not there). When I get back, I will take a look with the analyzer and post back with my findings here.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. I picked up the Anker 737 and it charges the laptop, thankfully!
Thanks to the others for the recommendations as well :slight_smile:

With the 3.03b update my steamdeck charger is now working again for the framework, thanks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I retested my chargers with 3.03b, changes are in bold:

• No name 45W powerbank → 20V 2A
  • Baseus 65W powerbank → 20V 3A
  • Baseus 100W multiport charger → 20V 4.5A
  • Baseus 30W wallwart → 20V 1.4A
  • Baseus 20W wallwart → 12V 1.5A doesn’t need kickstart anymore
  • No name 65W charger → 20V 3A
  • Wotobeus 100W power brick → 20V 4.5A
  • Wekome 40W wallwart → Died since the last test, guess there’s a reason it was 6$
  • Random 100W powerbank board → 20V 4.5A Works now but the board is still flaky af
  • IP2368 powerbank board → 20V 4.5A
  • Random 22W powerbank board type 1 → 12V 1.4A
  • Random 22W powerbank board type 2 → 12V 1.5A doesn’t need kickstart anymore
  • Random 22W powerbank board type 3 → 12V 1.4A doesn’t need kickstart anymore but needed multiple replugs to get the right charge direction
  • random qc3 powerbank → 12V 1.4A works now(guess it does also support PD) but needed multiple replugs to get the right charge direction
  • Ultra compact 18W power bank board → 12V 1.4A
  • 5v only powerbank c to c → 5V 1.1A (needed kickstart)
  • 5v only powerbank a to c → 5V 0.8A (needed kickstart)
  • 5v phone power supply → 5V 0.8A (needed kickstart)

Cute little 18W power bank module:
cute little 18W power bank module

5 Likes

Any idea when this update might be availble for the Framework Laptop 16? I have a no-name 4s lithium battery 140W PD board that I’d like to be able to use but it cuts out constantly trying to start charging because of the sudden load step which it sees as over current. Once the laptop does manage to start charging it’s mostly stable although still prone to seeing load steps as overcurrent events and dropping into over current protect again.

Thanks for these tests! These three were the ones I was most curious about. Sadly it seems the AMD framework laptop is still worse at charging than my deceased 11th gen Intel framework laptop.