AMD Framework USB-C charger compatibility issues

As I specified in detail in my summary post, the issue is with chargers that do more than 5V but less than 3A. With the usual <65W PSUs (which do 5V3A and 20V <3A) the Framework negotiates 5V 3A first, then keeps pulling 3A while the PSU switches to the 20V profile with less current.

Additionally, the Switch charger has unusual profiles of only 5V 1.5A and 15V 2.6A, so likely the Framework just pulls 5V 1.5A in the first place, so staying at 1.5A is not an issue while the PSU switches to 15V (or alternatively, the 3A current pull doesn’t trigger the 2.6A overcurrent protection).

5 Likes

Just adding my somewhat edited but mostly copy pasted 2c from my post that seems relevant to this thread.

I’ve got a Satechi 165W USB-C 4 Port PD GAN charger.

When I first booted my framework, I noticed it wasn’t charging. Every few seconds the LED would flash orange, and windows would show it’s charging, then it would go back to not charging.

I eventually have worked out that if I plug the cable in to the laptop and the charger, but have the charger not yet plugged in or powered from the wall power, then when I do plug it in to wall power it will work perfectly and I’ve been able to charge- but there seems to be some sort of issue where my laptop won’t charge if the charger was already receiving power.

Has anyone tried and had any luck with this same workaround on those other chargers? The solution of plugging in 2 chargers seems more janky than mine, so hopefully that coukd work for peoole until we get a proper fix.

If there are only one or two devices plugged in, the main problem of overloading the charger should not be the issue, as the charger should still offer at least 60W to the laptop.
Maybe that charger has trouble with devices that pull full current during the voltage ramp-up phase (which is probably allowed by spec), though without testing/measuring at least a voltage/current graph, nobody knows.
Possibly, that’s the issue with the “outliers” other people had issues with as well (mentioned on the bottom of my Summary Post).
The workaround of plugging in the charger after the laptop will also not work (reliably) for the <60W charger issues.

Yeah, that’s not been an issue at all. Charger can deliver 165W and the laptop charged at a speed I was actually quite surprised by (my old laptop was old and took ages- my Framework charges as quickly as it actually should). So I don’t think it’s delivering any less power than it should or behaving at all incorrectly when I plug the charger into power after the laptop.

Would this be being avoided by having it plugged in? I’d have assumed this happens regardless once power is provided.

Unfortunate. Not sure if it’s even the same issue but thought I’d drop the suggestion as it’s working every time for me (so far).

The laptop’s behavior shouldn’t change, though I could imagine the charger behaving somewhat differently on startup (maybe offering the PD profiles faster/differently, maybe the overcurrent protection is still cold, etc.).
Even if this isn’t directly related to the other PD issues, it should still be investigated (though it may very well be that the charger is not entirely PD compliant in some way).

1 Like

Since the main issue seems to be the laptop drawing too much power during negotiation/negotiated voltage switching it is likely just a very sensitive overcurrent protection here.

In the case of plugging in the psu into power after connecting it to the laptop it may just be that it has finished negotiation before the psu got up to enough power to trigger overcurrent protection.

I would not be surprised if the fix for the low wattage psus also fixes this one.

2 Likes

Windows 11, Ryzen 5 7740 Framework 13. Latest windows update, latest framework drivers, latest bios.

I’ve got a Satechi 165W USB-C 4 Port PD GAN charger.

When I first booted my framework, I noticed it wasn’t charging. Every few seconds the LED would flash orange, and windows would show it’s charging, then it would go back to not charging. I eventually have worked out that if I plug the cable in to the laptop and the charger, but have the charger not yet plugged in to wall power, then when I do plug it in to wall power it will work perfectly and I’ve been able to charge- but there seems to be some sort of issue where my laptop won’t charge if the charger was already going.

Any one got any clue what this could be? Or what side the issue is on- the charger or the laptop?

I don’t get how this behaviour is even possible- but it’s been consistent. Extremely frustrating if this doesn’t work after I just spent $130 on the Satechi charger and there’s no obvious reason it shouldn’t work properly.

Could be related.

1 Like

Very likely- thanks for that. I’ve posted there too.

The pd-controllers on the amd 13 are currently a bit bugged in that regard.

2 Likes

They are working on the PD firmware for the release of FW16, hopefully some of that will trickle down to FW13 as well.

4 Likes

This isn’t really another “I have the same issue” but it may be related, and a bit of a warning, so I thought I’d share.

I have a 5 year old Apple 87W USB-C charger (IIRC the only Apple product I’ve bought as I forgot to bring my charger in a foreign country, pls forgive me).

Anywho, I had been using that charger successfully with the previous 11th gen mainboard and other laptops/phones. In the first week with the AMD 7840U mainboard (early November), it worked but would stop charging occasionally, and I would have to unplug it from the wall and wait a while, maybe a day. And then it would work again. Then the next time it got worse, and worse, and worse until finally now it’s been like a month off the wall. I just tried it now after coming into awareness of this thread. It’s still dead (even just trying to charge my phone).

So I don’t know if the AMD board killed it or if it was already on its deathbed and helped quicken the process or whatever. 87W is in the >65W outlier bucket, but it does say Output: 20.2V⎓4.3A (USB PD) or 9V⎓3A (USB PD) or 5.2V⎓2.4A.

I’m not sure if I’m reading that correctly, but I’m guessing the 5.2V⎓2.4A part qualifies?

But maybe be careful if anyone does use that combo (unless you were like me and waiting to replace that dang thing :wink:). I have a replacement Anker 747 (150W, 100W on a single port) that works, and everything’s still dandy with my Dell U3421WE monitor’s 90W PD port.

I’m not sure, but if it makes you feel better, I’ve used said Apple 87W charger and said 90W monitor PD without issue the entire time (those were my primary chargers). I’ve repurposed my 11th gen board as a remote computer and it’s been running off a 18W Google Pixel USB-C charger which says Output: 5V⎓3.0A / 9V⎓2.0A which, if I’m understanding correctly, qualifies as “would have an issue with” currently (ha, pun!) on the AMD.

Apologies for any noise if so!

not really, “5.2V” and “20.2V” are just the Apple way of saying 5V and 20V.
The Framework should start charging with 5V 2.4A, then request 20V 4.3A and keep pulling 2.4A while the PSU voltage is rising (and then switch to 4.3A), which should be fine.

Maybe you just got unlucky and the charger failed independently of using the Framework with it. Possibly it sped up the process due to putting near full load on the charger, compared to just charging phones.

Correct, that is one of the cases where the AMD Framework would likely have issues (due to pulling 9V 3A for a short time).
I don’t think the Intel Framework has the same issue, though I don’t have one to do thorough testing with.

2 Likes

Just came to say that my AMD framework is not charging via my 30W Mac book charger as I expected it to.
bummer. Can this be fixed in a BIOS update?

My 11gen framework even charges with a cheap 5v phone charger…

Thanks.

1 Like

I found this out this week, I have the same issue with Fedora 39 and an Apple 30W USB C “charger”

What I did also find out is it charges fine through a USB C “dock”/“Dongle” which has PD passthrough, not sure why maybe its smoothing out the handshake somehow.

I can’t remember the exact brand, a fairly generic Amazon job, will report back next week when I next get to the office.

This is mentioned in the Summary Post above: AMD Framework USB-C charger compatibility issues - #36 by patagona

Yes, it’s expected not to work right now.
Yes, it can (and probably will) be fixed in a firmware update.

I figured that out a while ago as well and mentioned it in the summary post as a workaround. My hypothesis is, that the power negotiation works correctly when a Direction change is involved (Laptop powers Dock first, then direction is reversed)

(maybe @matt_hartley or someone else from the forum admins can allow me to edit the top post or something so I can link/insert the summary post so these duplicate questions don’t happen as often as they’re not very helpful)

Massive off topic here, but the way the forum software is working, it drags you to the first post you haven’t read, with no indication of of any changes further up the chain… unless that resets on an edit this is probably always going to happen I’m afraid.

Since there isn’t an ETA on this, does anyone have known working portable power banks that work with the Framework 13 AMD 7840U?

I am able to charge mine with an HP USB-C universal dock - model hsa-b005ds

Currently unable to charge it with any other charger, I have tried

Framework USB-C charger
Samsung Travel Adapter - Model EP-TA200
Apple 30W USB-C Power Atapter - Model A2164

1 Like