AMD RAM issue

Sounds like it’s ‘easier’ just to go with prebuilt and call it a day. The hassle of RAM compatibility and troubleshooting…not worth the dollars saved.

Errors happen, and any hardware can have issues. As a counterpoint, I got just the AMD mainboard to swap into an early batch 11th gen DIY laptop, and plugged in 2x16GB of the same CT2K16G56C46S5 and I have been running fine with no issues at all. That said, using the memory Framework sells on the marketplace or other sets they have tested on the board is the best way to make sure that compatibility is not an issue, and contacting support if you start seeing issues will help if your hardware is the problem.

I understand. Just saying that functional assurance has a price, and sometimes it’s worth paying.

However, if I face a RAM issue with a pre-built straight out of the gate, I would just return it. Pre-builts are supposed to be friction-less and hit the ground running. With DIY, sure, tinker with it till the end of time should one chooses to do so.

This ‘batch’ thing, into the 3rd year now, is IMO, at attempt to minimize returns…people don’t like to re-order in general (due to the wait time).

The “batch” thing helps a small company manage cash flow and inventory. They get some cash up front from deposits to reduce the cost of getting production started, and they have less guess work as to how many units to produce to meet initial demand. They don’t get stuck with a bunch of inventory, and then they can scale back on how much contracted assembly capacity they need to meet ongoing sales after launch.

6 Likes

Yes…that’s been explained a few times here on the forum and on LTT (IIRC), and my opinion is just that, my opinion.

Did you happen to snap a picture of the QR code sticker issue before you fixed it? Just wondering how askew they need to be to cause a problem…

Glad you got it working!

Got my unit today and I can sadly confirm that the CT2K32G52C42S5 kit does not seem to be compatible. Device turn on but the screens stays black. Even get the identical diag LED sequence:

• White
  • Green (x12)
  • Red
  • Blue
  • Green
  • Blue
  • Green (x5)

Will need to get a compatible kit now…

So far, it seems like RAM kits below 5600 mhz are having issues with the AMD Framework.

I can definitely confirm that 5200mhz is also not working here. I bought this kit Amazon.co.uk(kingston 5200 2x16GB kit) Have the same no boot with LED error code issue. tried absolutely everything so I just ordered a crucial 5600 kit which is on the way. sucks a lot as the 5200 kit was a good chunk cheaper on sale and should have worked as it has a jedec timing for 5200 no xpm etc. I get this sequence 12 green blinks(so looks good on that part) then orange followed by bbggbggg so there is an issue

@Todd_Freeman Were you able to get your system to boot with a 5600 mhz kit?

I’m in batch 3 (so I don’t have my laptop yet), but I ordered a single stick of Crucial 16GB 5600, P/N CT16G56C46S5. Just arrived today. As far as I can tell this is just the single-stick variant of the CT2K16G56C46S5 that @Justin_Stackhouse ordered.

I will update this thread when I actually get my laptop with whether or not it works. Just wanted to document in case other people are looking.

Won’t arrive until tomorrow, sadly. Amazon messed up and lost my order, so I ordered another the same kit through NewEgg. Now, it looks like both kits will be here by tomorrow.

I’m gonna be swimming in DDR5 modules!

Yep, the 5200s have been priced competitively. I bet we did the same math calculating the cost / benefit of the additional 400 MT/s :wink: I figured that if I really wanted to max out the speed later on, I could upgrade for far less money in a year or so.

I hope FW makes RAM recommendations available further in advance next time. If not, I will plan to wait for a later batch.

1 Like

My 5600 kit will arrive today (EU here). Will update once I got it into the FW. Fingers crossed.

Yes, I also cheaped out on Prime Day with my 5200 kit :smile:

Edit: Just got the new kit in and after about 1 minute of RAM training I was relieved to see the Framework logo and it booting into the Windows installer.

I bought this kit: CT2K32G56C46S5 (2x32 GB 5600MT/s)

3 Likes

Sweet! I have another 4-6 hours before my kits arrive. If neither works, I am going to laugh so hard… And then curse? Weep a little?

1 Like

I miss the days where you could watch the bios tick through the RAM as it checked it.

PCem and its fork 86Box actually emulate the slowness of old processors (required for many many timing loops in contemporary software) accurately enough that you get that experience on them :slight_smile:

Prices are beginning to rise:
Trendforce (english)
Computerbase (german)

You’ll have to order another laptop to use them… :sob:

1 Like

I saw those articles recently, too. But back in July, I don’t recall there being similar signals. If I recall correctly, the sentiment at the time was that DDR5 pricing would fall.

Great idea… I will surround myself with a circle of FW laptops and make myself dizzy trying to use them all at once!

Thanks for the compatibility note. We’ll update our KB article to call out that there seem to be issues with this module, and do some further investigation on our side on why. Note that the issue doesn’t seem to be specifically <5600 speed modules, since we have seen other community member reports of successfully using DDR5-4800 or DDR5-5200 modules.

13 Likes