Apparently wobbly hinges

Agree. It’s pointless. (i.e. We don’t hold the cards anymore.)

I think it’s the torque. 3.8Kg/cm.
or 38g/m. or about 0.4N/m.
That sounds about right. It’s similar to the torque needed to tighten in a medium/large screw. (usually around 0.2N/m to 0.6N/m)
They said they are going to add a more “stiff” version with perhaps a nigher number. This can be either the “stiff” or the “regular” one. Unless you measure the torque yourself.

One of my classmates has a laptop with the exact same display as my framework and also has a similar issue, I think the issue may instead be the weight of the display is too much.

And the 12C as well, which, even though it’s been redesigned multiple times was still in HP’s catalog until recently,

Now it seems to be an official licensee:

I do wish they were still making the 15C as well.
The originals were so well made.

Currently, the company Swissmicros.com is making full size and credit card size versions of the HP Voyager series. lower volume so relatively more pricy.

1 Like

Bought it for work at a physics lab in the mid 1980s, and have used it constantly since. It’s only on its fourth or so set of batteries. There’s “well designed” and then there’s the stuff HP was making “in the day.” :- )

My originals were lost due to life events.
Ebay provided substitutes.

An update on my end, the hinges on my batch 4 Framework were finally starting to really annoy me, so I decided to contact support.

These new hinges are soo much better.

My previous hinges wouldn’t be able to support the lid even in situations where I just simply picked up the laptop. These new hinges actually have some resistance built into them.

I’d say its now more like other ultrabooks now. And similar in resistance to the T480 I own. We shall see how long it lasts.

4 Likes

I’ve been having trouble figuring out the current state of affairs. Can someone from Framework please clarify:

• Is the hinge kit in the marketplace identical to the hinges shipped in the earlier batches?
  • Are there still plans to introduce a different, high force hinge in the marketplace?

I’m confused because the current marketplace hinge mentions 3.8 kg, but this reddit comment mentions the nominal hinge being 3.3 kg and the high force hinge being 4.0 kg.

1 Like

This post explains the hinges a bit. Apparently there was a defective run of hinges; if you have one, you can send Framework a video showing the bad hinge performance and get a free replacement.

The 3.3kg hinge is the same, although there is a more robust QC process in place to ensure no more defective hinges. The 4.0kg hinge is new and obviously stiffer (one-handed opening appears to be less practical with the new hinge).

4 Likes

As a follow-up to my own questions, Framework seems to have updated the store page since my previous post. They now list two different hinge kits, one 3.3 kg (FRANFB0001) and one 4.0 kg (FRANFB0002). The product page now has selector buttons for both options.

Thanks, Framework team!

2 Likes

Just got and installed the new 4.0kg hinges. Beautiful. Now I can actually move around with my laptop without worrying about the screen flopping either way. Now, the stiffness is comparable with my 2019 Macbook Pro from work – which, personally, I feel is perfect. :slight_smile:

Honestly, I feel like Framework should offer this option on the order page – I definitely would’ve opted for stability over single-handed opening if I could have from the purchase page.

5 Likes

@reanimus How is the wobble on the 4kg hinges?

I haven’t had any issues so far during regular use. I can walk around with it open without worrying about the screen falling as long as I don’t jostle it super quickly. It’s still openable one handed, but it does take more effort as the hinge is springier. It’s hard to explain, but I made a video demonstrating the springiness of the hinges. That kind of movement would have likely closed the lid before — or at least started to.

…looks like a bobblehead.

1 Like

I purchased a batch 6 laptop around Oct/2021.
The laptop was inappropriately loose, flattening down to 180 degrees at unexpected and inappropriate times and I thought that was design intent until I read in this forum that some hinges apparently were off-spec.
I asked for a replacement and I’m loving the new hinges!

Thanks, all.

2 Likes

@reanimus Thanks for the video. Seriously appreciated. That wobble is insane.

I don’t know that it is. I was deliberately flicking the screen around to demonstrate that the screen maintains position. Previously, it would have closed/fallen open.

When walking around with it or the like, it remains stable, and I’m able to type pretty nicely both on my bed and on my lap.

On the new video posted by LTT (time-stamped link) you can visibly see the screen “wobble”
Granted it is on top of a desk mat, and so I guess screen “wobble” is likely just going to be a thing.
That’s so 2014 tho… But the reality of a taller display means a longer force arm, which means easier oscillations.

This is NOT to be confused with weak/loose hinges where the display will just flop down.

Actually the wobble is so massive at 11:04 the camera shot is going up and down. Desk mat certainly don’t help on this regard.

I just finished replacing my original hinges (the laptop was bought in June 2021) with the 4 kg hinges.

The replacement was very easy. The only difficulty I encountered during replacement was that, as I was attempting to install the right hinge, one of the small screws kept being drawn to one of the magnets that hold the bezel in place. I ended up having to hold the screw in place with a pair of tweezers (so that it would not be drawn to the magnet) while I screwed it into place with the tool provided with the laptop.

Once installed, the 4.0 kg hinges are great. Firm but not too firm… very much like the feel of an Apple MacBook. I’m really happy that I replaced the original hinges.

1 Like

It’s been a long time since I added my own “Saga of the Hinge” to this post. I just replaced my replacement hinged with 4kg version and have two comments.

1. The 4kg hinges are so much better. My display stays where I put it and doesn’t wobble at all.

2. FW support has come a long way since May '22. I’ve been working through a failed webcam and they were responsive and helpful in debugging to pin down the source of the problem.

Framework’s come a long way.

4 Likes