Apple launches Self Service Repair program

Apple has launched their Self Service Repair program that they announced five months ago. You can check it out at this link.

The program only has manuals and parts for the iPhones 12 through SE 3rd Generation, but it’s something. The parts and manuals are available below.
https://selfservicerepair.com
In my opinion, everything except for the displays seems reasonably priced for OEM parts, which was a pleasant surprise. They do offer partial refunds on some parts if you send the old part back, which is another detail I appreciated.

They also put out a document called “Expanding Access to Service and Repairs for Apple Devices”, available below.

My favorite part of this document was in the FAQ section with the question about adhesives.

Why does Apple use adhesives in products?
Adhesives are essential for modern electronic devices. They’re strong and lightweight, and help make devices water-resistant by sealing internal components against liquids and spills. Devices that use adhesives are also more material efficient and enable technologies such as Super Retina XDR displays. In addition, some adhesives are reversible, allowing devices to be serviced and repaired. For example, iPhone batteries are adhered in place using stretchrelease adhesives, which can be removed by pulling a tab.

Lol okay. On the plus side, they did clarify that opening and repairing your device does not void your warranty unless you break something, and I found that to be a huge win.

In any case, I’m curious to see what the Framework community, including the Framework staff, thinks about this program, so please leave your thoughts below.

I think it’s a good start - but I don’t think their motivation is coming from the right places.

They are doing this because they either already have to or soon will.

If Apple and other manufacturers with similar attitudes to repair cared about this issue, it would factor in their product designs from the very beginning - not be a program to generate some positive PR stories just before the momentum of the right-to-repair movement gets some laws passed.

Rossmann’s summary video on the program raises some very valid criticisms of it.

1 Like

Steps in the right direction, but some stuff here is hilarious. Having to rent multiple wheeled cases totaling 80 lbs to replace a phone screen is comical to me.

via Self Service Repair Store

One case weighs 43 pounds and the other weighs 36 pounds (a detailed list of included items is included below). The cases each have roller wheels to aid in transport.

When lifting the cases, practice these strategies:

• Think before you lift. Size up the object, if it is too bulky get help!
  • Plan the lift. Know where you are going and have a clear path.
  • Stack the smaller case on the larger, extend the handle and roll versus carrying the two cases.
  • Balance the load you are carrying between both hands.
  • Have a good base of support – spread your feet apart shoulder width or more.
  • Bend with your knees and hips, and keep your head up.
  • Feet first. Turn with your feet not your torso.
  • Take your time.

:joy:

Again, a good start, but it’s hilariously obvious that this is just bare-minimum regulatory compliance and not a practical way for your mom to DIY her iPhone repair.

4 Likes

I believe I heard that it is NOT even run by APPLE at all and is being run by a 3RD party that I assume got access to the independent repair program for APPLE certified shops and that is the tools used in that program
I remember hearing they have “activist investors” pushing for right to repair from the “boardroom”
I see it is one part “forced on them” and NOT high priority except to “check the boxes”
I hope we see REAL R2R DESIGNS in the next gen devices even small changes and also “consumer friendly” tools to rent IF wanted
Louis states this is designed to FAIL but I disagree and think it is an after thought by people NOT REPAIRING stuff and looks good on paper
the rental tools are all but a STEAL at the price and what you do get and even the purchase price of the tools is VERY CHEAP for “professional tools” like that