Applied 3.10 bios, still lost 27% battery in 8 days (fully shutdown)

@Second_Coming

The issue is presented as a relationship.

• 8 days later not being able to start seems more like an ML 1220 discharge, which ‘shouldn’t’ happen in 8 days if it was fully charged
  • I consider the 27% drop in the main battery an undefined user issue and not related to the laptop no starting

Further I don’t see that either have anything to do with the BIOS other than co-incidental.

Still some laptops are set up differently than mine, so it will remain am mystery to me maybe.

I didn’t know this issue wasn’t fixable. I’m probably going to have to get rid of mine too. I often leave my laptop powered down for 3-4 days at a time and when I try and turn it back on, it won’t boot up unless I plug it into the wall. Never had that issue with any other laptop.

Oh well. It was a nice experiment.

There are two possibilities

• a) You are using ‘sleep’ mode when you close which will drain the battery is not set up to go to hibernate after a 5% drop in battery charge. However the battery is already low then even that won’t help

• b) You have not run the laptop on charge for long enough to charge the ML 1220 RTC|CMOS battery. This battery has a maximum charge viability for at most three weeks. It requires charging for ideally a couple of hours a day, i.e. the laptop needs to used connected to the mains for 2 hours a day or some 9 hours a week to be sure it is charged.

If this isn’t your use case then you may well have such problems and deem the laptop not to your ‘taste’.

If you want to keep it for a while please apply power for 24 hours to ensure the ML 1220 is fully charged to see if that helps.

All the best

I’m quite shocked to read this. I was expecting a laptop, not a desktop. Coming from Mac Hardware this is a thing I didn’t expect at all from the framework.

In fact I have my old MacBook Air 2015 also runnin on Fedora 36 which outperforms the framework in both sleeping and off power consumption.

Getting the feeling my choice of buying the framework was wrong. :unamused:

Simon

You are not clear about your use case so no idea what your problem is.

When powered off I loose 1% a day,
but beware the battery is only 55W and even at a low browsing use watching video I only get about 5 hours.

Like I should be using the laptop for that long in one go, but I do, but I have power nearby so not an issue.

Hello, is there any advantage to updating to Bios 3.10?

When I try on my Windows 10 Home install it says “The BIOS image to be updated is invalid for Secure Flash or onboard BIOS does not support Secure Flash.” I’ve tried changing Secure Boot settings a few time with no luck.

Tim