Applied 3.10 bios, still lost 27% battery in 8 days (fully shutdown)

The title says it all. I applied the 3.10 bios to my Framework laptop, fully charged the battery to 100%, fully shut the device down, put it in its bag, and let it sit (again, fully powered down, not suspended/hibernated). 8 days later I can’t boot from battery, am forced to plug in the AC adapter just to boot, and the battery is at 73%.

Anyone want a deal on a barely used Framework laptop?

1 Like

What’s the deal? If you’re intent on selling it I don’t mind buying it.

I don’t see how this is that bad personally-

1 Like

Its bad for quite a few users that don’t keep their laptop plugged in, use it only infrequently, and typically keep it stored in its bag for travel. So if I let the laptop sit for one month in its bag, fully powered down, and pull it out to use it, the battery will be dead. This can also force you to have to crack open the laptop, unplug the main battery and the CMOS battery, wait a minute, plug them back in, put the laptop back together, and charge it overnight (this is a known, published issue by Framework).

Remind me again why you “don’t see how this is bad”?

1 Like

Because this doesn’t affect many users- and plugging it in doesn’t seem very hard if you do leave it in your bag for long periods of time often.

Of course I understand why you’d want to sell it if you don’t use it often- and when you do it is frustratingly not on immediately.

1 Like

Well in your first post you only say 8 days, and as pointed out if you are happy to charge it for 6 to 9 hours a week, the problem you have shouldn’t occur.

By the way, the BIOS update was not designed to extend the ‘life’ of the RTC|CMOS battery ~ the 73% charge on the main battery is irrelevant.

As amoun said the BIOS update doesn’t fix the CMOS problem because that is a sillicon defect in 11th gen chips. :slight_smile:
BIOS update 3.08 was supposed to fix power down state drainage but I’m not sure if that carried over to 3.10, I think it did though, so it’s strange that you experience drain while shutdown.

Also amoun just shoutout to you for being so active on the forum- kudos to you for remaining informative.

1 Like

I’ve owned/used many, many laptops over the years and Framework has the distinction of having the absolute worst battery drain I’ve ever seen in a laptop that sits fully powered off.

I have my old mid-2015 Macbook pro sitting in my closet. I stored it away over a year ago with a 50% charge on the battery. I just powered it on and battery is at 48%…

1 Like

Sadly that does come with a new laptop :frowning: Hopefully it’ll be fixed over time.

A fully powered down device should not be taking any power so that is why your other laptops all performed so well- Framework just needs to fix some bugs and it’ll be fine.

1 Like

Apparently, you haven’t read through the forums about this issue. It’s not fixable. It’s part an 11th gen Intel CPU issue and the Framework USB-4 module design. Framework released an official statement saying that the problem is not ultimately fixable, where the 3.10 bios was supposed to help minimize battery drain, not cure it.

So if you’re aware that the problem is “not fixable”, what is this post even about?

Battery issue / behaviour with the Framework Laptop (Intel 11th gen, at least) comes in so many shapes and forms…left, right and centre:

• [Low] Main battery runtime per charge (low capacity / high TDP)
  • Main battery drain during suspend (expanion card related)
  • Main battery drain when powered down (Supposedly fixed in 3.10)
  • RTC battery drain (drain or low RTC battery capacity: OP’s issue)
  • Intel silicon bug inducing the need for a battery pull

We’re in the desktop replacement laptop market…we just didn’t know about it. :rofl:

@ParticleCannon This post is to let users know that the 3.10 bios doesn’t improve battery drain in a shutdown state. This post also serves as a cautionary tale for anyone considering purchasing a Framework laptop, that only uses the product occasionally.

2 Likes

@Stephen_Manis, I think your particular scenario is that the RTC battery is drained…and not able to initiate power up. (Not so much about the main battery, as it still has charge)

i.e. Your RTC battery wasn’t fully charged / plugged in for 24 hours to begin with.

@Second_Coming I’m on the 3.10 bios, which is supposed to prevent CMOS battery drain (unless the main battery is totally drained, and then you’re screwed anyway and have to disassemble the damn laptop again).

I charged the laptop overnight to 100% prior to storing it away.

In short, we’ve all paid Framework to beta test some questionable hardware design. For my use case, a Framework laptop sucks and still has the worst battery drain I’ve every experienced in a laptop that is fully powered down.

No.

3.09 fixed this (which got carried into 3.10):
“Reduce main battery drain in off state by turning off analog reference in charger IC.”

@Second_Coming I’m on 3.10 and the problem is clearly not “fixed”. The offcial statement from Framework is that the problem really isn’t fixable as it’s partly based on an Intel 11th gen CPU bug and on their USB-4 module design.

Their recommendation is to always leave your laptop plugged in. Otherwise, the batteries will drain, and you’ll have to crack open the laptop, unplug both batteries, wait a minute, plug then back in, reassemble, and charge overnight. That… sucks…

2 Likes

Exactly. RTC battery drain is not fixable on the 11th gen. Nor was there mention of “reduce” RTC battery drain in the BIOS release note.

i.e. You STILL need to charge the laptop for an initial 24 hours…specifically for the RTC battery.

The crack it open scenario is only needed when you have a drained / low RTC battery, in combination with running into the silicon bug.

Regardless, I’m done wasting my time here. I’ll sell off the Framework, steer anyone who will listen away from Framework laptops, and consider paying the Apple tax again. (or a cheap, commodity laptop and slap Linux on it).

I get your frustration…totally. I’ve been there. Been there for months.

But people convinced me to hold onto the ‘platform’…until future hardware fixes / improvements come along. Meanwhile…for me, back to ThinkPads.

On the brighter side of things: The 12th gen mainboard seems to have better suspend drain, and additional circuitry to deal with / avoid the battery pull situation.