Arch Linux on the Framework Laptop 13

For general “pop-up” prompts, gnome uses polkit. So you’d have to add the appropriate line to etc/pam.d/polkit-1 if you haven’t. But yes, you can’t use this to unlock the keyring, unless support has been added without me knowing.

1 Like

@Agus, no errors just no bluetooth:
journalctl -u bluetooth  :heavy_check_mark:
– Journal begins at Tue 2021-09-07 20:26:15 PDT, ends at Tue 2021-09-07 22:11:25
Sep 07 22:10:39 framebook systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service…
Sep 07 22:10:39 framebook bluetoothd[137885]: Bluetooth daemon 5.61
Sep 07 22:10:39 framebook bluetoothd[137885]: Starting SDP server
Sep 07 22:10:39 framebook systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.
Sep 07 22:10:39 framebook bluetoothd[137885]: Bluetooth management interface 1.21 initialized

@Anil_Kulkarni Not sure what you mean by “no bluetooth”. Do you get any errors when you try to pair devices or you cannot even get to that point?

This article has some good tips on how to setup BT in Arch Bluetooth - ArchWiki. And this one is the one that I used to setup my BT headset Bluetooth headset - ArchWiki

Best,

Agus.

@Agus bluetooth is broken on arch kernel 5.13.13 and up, seemingly. My understanding is it worked out of the box on prior versions

@ant I can ensure you that BT works on 5.13.3 on Arch Linux with the AX210 non vPro. Please see screenshot attached. I just had to follow the instructions on the official Arch docs.

@Agus oooh very interesting! This is reason enough for me to try again. Thank you! Just fyi your comments mention 5.13.3, not 5.13.13, but i see your screenshot with working BT on 5.13.13! I have the vPro version, wonder if that slight variation makes a difference.

Oops, my bad, I meant 5.13.13. Awesome, report back, it would be interesting to see if vPro vs non vPro version makes a difference.

Best,

Agus

1 Like

Hello all, I’m having some really odd bluetooth issues on Arch (just got my Framework today). Wi-fi works fine. (Also my hostname is Ceres, if you see that below).

I’m using kernel 5.13.13 right now, with the non-vPro adapter. I’ve also tried 5.13.7, and that didn’t work either.

Agent registered
[bluetooth]# power on
No default controller available
[bluetooth]# 

When I run “sudo rfkill list”, I get this:

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: hci0: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

So, it shows up there fine. However, I tried running btmgmt power on, and I get this:

Set Powered for hci0 failed with status 0x11 (Invalid Index)

Even weirder, when I run ‘btmgmt info’, I get:

Index list with 0 items

I’m kinda pulling my hair out at this point. It shows up in gnome as “Bluetooth Off”, but the only button is still “Bluetooth Off”. Nothing happens if I try and toggle it.

When I ran ‘journalctl --grep “hci0”’, it output this:

Sep 08 19:03:24 Ceres kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Firmware timestamp 2021.28 buildtype 1 build 28502
Sep 08 19:03:25 Ceres kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: No device address configured
Sep 08 19:03:25 Ceres kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-0041-0041.sfi
Sep 08 19:03:25 Ceres kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Boot Address: 0x100800
Sep 08 19:03:25 Ceres kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Firmware Version: 86-28.21

It seems like the card isn’t being initialized right, for some reason. Any help or insight would be really appreciated.

EDIT: Just confirmed that it isn’t a hardware issue. Booted an ubuntu live USB running kernel 5.11, and bluetooth works fine. I’ll try downgrading even further.

EDIT2: Solved by downgrading Arch to 5.12.15.

1 Like

@Agus no luck here! You’ve got a lucky device. Any chance you installed any nonstandard kernel modules and/or the bluez-utils-compat package? Bluetooth isn’t critical for me and as it seems like a recent regression, I’m good waiting for an upstream fix, just curious what might be the difference.

@ant @darthdomo Bluetooth is working for me on the linux-zen kernel, its in the standard repos

I can confirm that Bluetooth doesn’t work out of the box on 5.13.13-arch1-1 (e.g. the current stock Arch kernel) with the non-vPro AX210. I get the same behavior that @darthdomo describes above.

EDIT: just found https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=213829 linked in another thread on this forum. I’ll have to try a cold boot and see if that fixes my issue.

2 Likes

@DominicBauers While I use Zen on my desktop, I might be wary of using Zen in this case, due to Zen Interactive Tuning. It attempts to make the system more responsive, but it’s likely to hurt your battery life (although I don’t know how significant).

From the official site: “Zen Interactive Tuning : Tunes the kernel for responsiveness at the cost of throughput and power usage.”

@ant and everyone, this is what I did to get BT working on the default 5.13.13 kernel. With this I have my BT headset and Logitech MX Anywhere 2 working flawlessly:

sudo pacman -S bluez bluez-utils pulseaudio-alsa pulseaudio-bluetooth
sudo systemctl enable bluetooh; sudo systemctl start bluetooth
pulseaudio -k
pulseaudio --start

4 Likes

I saw this issue when using powertop --auto-tune, ie, enabling power saving/suspend for btusb. Here, doing:
rmmod btusb
modprobe btusb enable_autosuspend=n
got it working again. (Or a cold boot most likely).

I got Arch installed onto one of the 250gb modules yesterday. It showed up in UEFI until I rebooted into a different (Ubuntu) 250gb module. Make sure to include --removable in the grub-install line.

3 Likes

Just wanted to note that the AX210 bluetooth issue is still present on 5.14.3, although a cold boot will make it work as noted above… Annoying if you reboot after an upgrade, but otherwise not too bad.

EDIT: Also, while I’m talking about 5.14.3, as mentioned by @Michael_Wu in the linux battery tuning thread and other places, PSR appears to work properly now, and I’m hitting C10 consistently.

EDIT2: Same behavior on 5.14.6.

3 Likes

Hey all, struggling to enable fingerprint reader on Manjaro. installed fprintd libfprint, enrolled fingerprint through cli, followed arch wiki and edited configs according to ssdm and kde instructions, but I still get zero prompt for my fingerprint. I tried re-enrolling the print and was told it was a duplicate, but fprintd-verify says that no fingerprints were found enrolled. Very lost on where to go from here.

@Trevor_Thompson On Manjaro GNOME there’s a button to enable fingerprint login in the Settings app. Did you try that?

oh sorry I should’ve been more specific, I’m running Manjaro KDE Plasma.

EDIT: Also after some checking I realized my fingerprint was enrolled as root, not my user, so i fprintd-delete that enroll, then re-enrolled under my user. Unfortunately that somehow broke logging in as a whole, whether trying to use my fingerprint or password. I used the boot cli to remove the edits suggested by the arch wiki and was able to get back in. Still researching how to enable though…

KDE Plasma doesn’t support fingerprints

1 Like