Batch 1 - Intel 12th - Guild

Mine went through Anchorage a couple of days before yours. Don’t stress it, it’ll clear!

2 Likes

Mine is also in Winnipeg since a few days now. It’s stuck since two days in customs unfortunately… Hopefully the situation will resolve quickly.

TheTwistgibber has posted on a Reddit thread that:

We’re aware of the clearance delays that some customers are running into and our logistics team is in daily contact with Customs and FedEx to work to clear these and get shipments back on track. There’s no action required on your end and you should see movement on those orders shortly. Thanks so much for your patience.

And, as reply to a question:

Customs declarations for products produced overseas is complicated as is the paperwork. As this is our first time shipping products directly from our 3PL (3rd Party Logistics) partner in Taiwan directly to customers in the US and Canada (have already been doing this for the previous generation for Europe), there seems to have been some confusion by Customs on the import documentation and classifications. This will all get sorted shortly, and once it is, things will be flowing smoothly. We had a similar issue when we started international shipments for Europe and now things are flowing without issue. These unfortunate speed bumps are common in international logistics, especially in the very beginning.

4 Likes

We can Hope … I got asked to work on some things… And could really use the flexability of A laptop to get that done.

So hoping this gets fixed quickly.

FedEx had delivered my laptop to a neighbour and didn’t bother to specify which one… After some asking around I found out which one and I’ll be able to pick it up next monday. Very excited!

I think your machine and mine must be in the exact same shipment, my shipment tracker history is identical to yours (I’m also located in the Bay Area). Bummer :frowning: Hopefully things clear up and we get them next week!

Looks like my laptop will be stuck in the frozen tundra of Winnipeg for a week at minimum, poor thing.

I hope it’s not there A week… I really want to get it to…

My Framework just reached the FedEx Hub in Cologne. I think there’s a good chance that it will be delivered on Monday already, two days ahead of the predicted delivery date :grin:

2 Likes

Mine has been in Clearance Delay for a little while now.

Label created 7/30, received by Fedex on 8/1 in Taiwan and jumped to a different place in Taiwan that same day, left Taiwan and arrived in Anchorage Alaska both on 8/3, and it’s been stuck there ever since under Clearance Delay.

Originally said it would arrive 8/8, but it’s also said Pending for a while. It’s definitely not getting to me, on the East Coast, by tomorrow.

Definitely annoying how long this has been taking considering how fast I preordered, and presumably under the least ordered one, too (1280p) – but then again, none of the Fedex stuff has been Framework’s fault.

Well, unless perhaps the paperwork wasn’t done correctly for Clearance.

Since it arrived Wednesday evening and thus quickly went under Clearance delay, my guess is it couldn’t be handled automatically and would’ve needed to be handled on business day – but I’m sure you all know how shipping is. Underpaid and understaffed with oddly short hours for some necessary things and long hours for other things – so I’m sure it wasn’t handled Thursday and Friday and has been waiting for Monday.

It’s been agonizing waiting for this with how my need for a laptop has ramped up. Here’s hoping it magically comes by the end of this week or something instead of all the way to the 15th.

3 Likes

And it’s out for delivery now :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I think i will have to hunt a FedEx driver today…

1 Like

And it has finally arrived. Was shipped on 3rd of August.

5 Likes

Mine has been stuck in Clearance Delay in Alaska since 8/1. I keep checking every morning, but I don’t have a lot of hope it’s going to get out of there this week.

Yeah mine said Winnipeg now is saying Fargo north Dakota… I have no idea what is happening been on hold for an hour…

I’m feeling like there are paperwork issues

Couldn’t be happier with this machine. I first had doubts about the screen and how it would compare to the XPS 13 9370s UHD Cinema Display, but those doubts were unjustified and it looks absolutely stunning. The 3:2 aspect ratio is also quite a nice upgrade. I’m also happy that I don’t need a dongle anymore, just to plug in a USB-A Thumbdrive.

What impressed me the most was the performance, everything just feels incredibly smooth, even smoother than on my 12900K Workstation (Nvidia Drivers and Wayland don’t get along too well and flickering is common). I could imagine getting rid of my workstation in the long run, as the Framework Laptop would most likely be more than sufficient for my needs. Just gotta find a Thunderbolt 4 Dock, which can support 3x 4K Displays at 60 Hz.

The touchpad is also quite nice, it’s twice as big as the touchpad on the XPS 13 9370. I’m missing the touchscreen thought, sometimes I accidentally touch the screen and realize that this functionality is not existant on this laptop.

On the other hand having a fingerprint sensor to unlock the system is amazing. Especially when integrating it with PAM, so you can use your fingerprint to confirm app updates or sudo prompts. Saves a lot of time compared to typing in your root password.

On the software side I’m running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS with the 5.17-oem Kernel. Installed the System on a 2TB SN850 with ZFS and Encryption. Got 64 Gigs of SK Hynix Memory in the system, so ZFS got plently of RAM to use as ARC.

The only problem with using the laptop on Linux is the weird screen resolution. 100% Scaling is too small and 200% Scaling is too big, so I’m going with 150% fractional scaling. But because many applications do not support wayland yet, just xwayland, they will look blurry (Spotify or 1Password for example). But that’s not really frameworks fault and let’s hope more Electron Applications support Wayland natively in the future without having to revert to workarounds or having blurry apps.

6 Likes

It looks like the batch 2 people are getting their laptops now. Will be sad if ordering the laptop earlier results in me receiving it significantly later. I tried calling FedEx, but they weren’t able to provide any assistance.

1 Like

My laptop is here! It made the trip from Winnipeg to Alberta in record time. Everything seems to be working so far, I’m currently sitting on the couch unplugged to test the battery life (though anything has got to be better than my 5 year old Dell).

I’m noticing a slight whir of fan noise that is a bit louder than my old computer. Normal?

Regarding screen resolution: I tried fractional scaling and noticed some ugliness as well, so I installed gnome-tweaks, set the scaling to 100%, and bumped up the font scaling instead. It’s not perfect, but it looks better to my eyes.

4 Likes

Could be your windows performance profile or linux alternative.
Throttlestop may be useful if this proves to be too much of an annoyance!

When did yours ship and when was the initial delivery date ?

Mine still stuck in Winnipeg since last Thursday.

1 Like

If your applications don’t support Wayland natively yet, you can also switch to X.Org in the gnome login screen. X.Orgs fractional scaling works without blurryness.

1 Like