Batch 3 - Intel 12th Gen - Guild

Ah, a fellow person of culture, I too intend to spin up a dozen virtual machines with my laptop.

Best Regards,
Varg

Iā€™m in! Ordered a 12th Gen i5 Framework yesterday. I will put in my own SSD and RAM and will bei installing Debian 11 on that machine. Going to be on Vacation in September and guess I will be getting it on my return.

Would have loved to take the new laptop with me on the tripā€¦

Iā€™m very excited :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ordered a i7-1260P DIY last week. Excited for it to come in.

32GB ram (2x16)
1TB SN850

Planning to dual (or triple) boot Win11 with Arch Linux and Ubuntu if I can get the triple boot working. Currently using a gaming laptop as my daily driver at home and a samsung go book when I head out, but the go book is slow. Only benefit to the go book is the 5g connection, but I have a mobile hotspot so no worry on that part haha.

I fly a camera drone so the eventual plan is to have the Framework be the mobile download and edit machine instead of needing to come back home if I find a cool shot/video when Iā€™m nowhere near home.

Thatā€™s a dangerous game. Though, fortune favours the bold.

Best Regards,
Varg

1 Like

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m seeing, but wonā€™t know until I try haha. Worse case I just Win11 and run Linux on VMs. Going to try though, and will definitely report my findings.

Ordered an i5-1240P and 2 USB C, 1 USB A, 1 HDMI
Canā€™t wait

1 Like

Hey there! Iā€™m deeply wondering if I should buy a framework laptop with an intel i5 ou i7 from this 3rth batch.

My concerns:

1. battery life, maybe I should wait for a version with amd processor or an intel consuming less. oh and Iā€™ve seen a video telling that the i7 consumes a little bit lessā€¦ strange no?

2. Is the cpu underclockable or can we improve the battery performance by any means with this 12 gen? (i think its not underclockable?)

3. I would like to wait a bit buuut Im worried that regarding the tensions with china and the computers departing from TaĆÆwan, maybe I should buy quickly one to avoĆÆd further interruptions on the supply chain rather than wait for a new chip.
    My computer (9550 xps) has many problems but is still usableā€¦ but for how long? :slight_smile:

1 Like

When is the last day to buy a Framework laptop for Batch 3?

1 Like

@Daniel-L usually itā€™s when they sell they number of units that they are expecting.

Howdy! Battery life has been a bit of a sore spot as far as most reviews go, however there are definitely ways to ā€œunderclockā€ your CPU in an operating system by decreasing the boost and nominal frequency, however I havenā€™t seen any information on firmware voltage profiles or power limits (other than maybe turbo settings.)

Iā€™d ordinarily be the optimist when it comes to RiSC, AMD, and maybe x86 variants of the framework, howeverā€¦

Your concerns are valid! And unfortunately due to these factors and others, itā€™s impossible to know if that much silicon can be sourced efficiently, sustainably, and fairly, in addition to knowing if the tight-lipped team at Framework have even started work on these!

Iā€™d say bite the bullet if youā€™re able. If youā€™re buying into an ecosystem that promotes growth and upgradeability, you can feel secure knowing that your choice doesnā€™t have to be permanent! Good luck on picking a CPU, I splurged on the 6+8 core with the rationale that I can always turn down the power if I NEED more than 5-10 hours of battery life.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve ordered just the bare bones and looking to get an energy efficient HD, working RAM and probably an Anker USBC charger to save a few quid.

Iā€™m suprised the DIY kits arenā€™t much cheaper than an assembled one though.

1 Like

Just ordered a 12th Gen i5 barebones DIY kit to replace my 5th Gen XPS 13 (been using since Sept 2017). Hopefully Batch 3 will ship in time for me to put it to use during this fall semester of college!

I suppose Iā€™ll pile on here and say that Iā€™m also in the queue for a Batch 3 Intel 12th Gen DIY kit. I am also hobbling along, on a 10 year old laptop (due to a few mishaps with my more modern Surface Pro 4 - itā€™s dead). Iā€™m pretty excited to be part of the community and really do like what this company is doing. I am a little concerned that this batch may be delayed, since batch 2 is at least partially delayed, but I will continue to be patient and wait my turn.

3 Likes

Hi all,
anybody got progress with an order? Payment proceeded?
Iā€™ve ordered on 17th of June,

• CPU: IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5-1240P
  • Storage: 1TB - WD_BLACKā„¢ SN850 NVMeā„¢
  • Memory: 32GB (1 x 32GB) DDR4-3200

Nope! All quiet on the framework front thought to be fair they did say they would contact us prior to dispatch to finalise the connectors and other options.

Iā€™ve gone for barebones, no hd, memory or power supply as I can get cheaper and longer warranty online.

Batch 3 might have delays like Batch 2 has (still on preparing batch for me)

I think thatā€™s probably true. We will be waiting a few weeks still.

I ordered the mid i7 and got one stick 16gb ram thinking that Iā€™d just upgrade when I need toā€¦ do you think maybe I should have gone i5 and ordered more ram instead? ^^" I was just thinking upgrading ram is cheaper than the cpu, but now with all your comments Iā€™m not so sure!

Ordered mine last night! Batch 3, looking forward to it!

@dosssman made this spreadsheet: FWOrdersCrowdsourceTrack - Google Sheets
Consider contributing to it

11 Likes