Battery slowly drains when completely shut down

This is true of the Framework, but one would think that battery drain would not be present if nothing’s connected to the USB ports…?

As I understand it, this is not true. USB ports have to have some “pilot” voltage at all times for the device to recognize that it was plugged into something / power. If voltage is being provided to the USB port, that voltage has to come from somewhere. It will dissipate to 0 fairly rapidly if it’s not kept up at 5V. So power comes out of the battery, goes through a not perfectly efficient DC / DC converter, and ultimately leaks away to air, imperfect insulators on PCBs, etc. Granted, all of this occurs at very low wattages and rates if nothing is actually using the power, but it’s more than zero power getting consumed even with nothing plugged in.

My guess is F.w figured out that something is staying on that doesn’t need to be just to provide the pilot voltage with no load, and that’s what will be fixed in 3.08. I don’t have any evidence to back that up, just my partially educated guess.

That’s only for ports that actually need to be powered all the time - this is not essential when the computer is turned off, except for the case where the laptop needs to charge another device while powered off (some laptops - I’ve seen ones from Dell at least - have this as an option in the BIOS to allow/disallow a marked USB port to provide power to an external device when the laptop itself is off).

There is otherwise no requirement to keep the USB ports powered on when the laptop is shut down, and battery drain would indeed not be present, except for any negligible drain for powering an RTC.

1 Like

Awesome. Any update on what the cause of the issue was?

1 Like

No, all ports need a small amount of voltage for CC channels.

This is needed only if the port is expected to provide power (from the laptop) to anything that gets connected. This isn’t necessary if the port will be provided power (to the laptop) by an external charger.

See for example the connection in Figure 4 of this article - Guide to USB-C Pinout and Features - Technical Articles (allaboutcircuits.com)

A powered off laptop can have the CC pin grounded as in the UFP part of the figure and a charger would have the pin pulled up to 5V as in the DFP part. In this case, the laptop can still be charged over the USB C port, but when no charger is connected there is no power drain. (Obviously, we lose the ability to charge any other device plugged in to the port while the laptop is off - but that can be a configurable option).

Excellent! Any idea about a release date for that BiOS version? I just did a test this week as I was wondering how my laptop had no battery as I was sure I left it charged the other day, decided to do a test and found out the same problem. Furthermore, it’s an ABISMAL drop in battery I’m experiencing in just hours of the laptop unplugged from the socket.
I’m verifying > 65% drop in battery over 6h! Laptop completely off of course.

Thanks for letting us know when this is coming out :slight_smile: I don’t mind being a Beta tester if needed be.

That doesn’t seem normal. I can’t comment on longer term battery drain, as my Framework laptop gets used daily. Every evening, I shut it down and unplug it. In the morning, I plug it in and start it. It loses no more than 1% overnight. Battery charging is limited to 80% in my BIOS settings. It’s running BIOS 3.07 and Ubuntu 21.10. It has four USB–C modules plugged in with nothing attached overnight.

2 Likes

Yeah I have 2 USB-C, 1 USB-A and 1 microSD card ports on the laptop but… Would that suck power out of it? I’ll remove them just in case and check again.

Hi without going over the whole thread again, which OS are you using.

Just tested mine 1% after 6 hours using Win 11

So what’s that 4% a day 28% a week ~ and that’s not good ??

I don’t know how the battery’s level of charge is measured and definitely don’t trust it.

CMOS battery is rechargeable and recharges off of the main battery. that could be contributing. Can we maybe get a modification that stops this happening unless the mains is plugged in and/or the laptop is powered on?

1 Like

28 percent a week is fine.

1 Like

I seem to be getting the same 4% per day in hibernation on Manjaro linux. No installed ports except USB-C. (Granted, I’ve taken maybe 2 data points)

1 Like

OS doesn’t play a part when the laptop is off, so that’s irrelevant.

Meanwhile I went on the BIOS and there’s an option to “disconnect” the battery when the laptop is off… That seems to work. Now when I charge the laptop completely, turn it off and come back a day after, the battery level remains the same.

All good!

1 Like

But you have to plug in to power on again: Is that right?

According to the instructions I should… But un reality I don’t.
Even with the laptop unplugged, it powers up without hesitation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

Has any permanent solution been found? I’ve had my laptop die overnight a few times this past week, and today it was at 1% before I could plug it in.

No peripherals attached. Windows 11.

Didn’t have this issue for at least 5 weeks after getting the laptop, so this has just started with no changes to my system.

Hi

You say no periferals.

I have a 256GB memory installed
The laptop was set at 69% and then unplugged and turned off around 11pm last night.

It seemed to up a bit after 1am and then again before 7am

The recorded max as of now is 70% and I note there is always a 1% extra to the setting, which as I said is 69%

So I have no idea why my reading have gone up twice in non-equivalent steps.

I’ve an idea that the monitoring is very questionbale.

How long did it take to get the battery up to a decent charge? It may indcate the battery wasn’t as low as the recording showed ??

I plugged in and started using around 7:30

???

3h of charging, and it’s still not at 85% (the charge cut-off I set in the BIOS), so the battery was as low as it stated.