BIOS 3.09 to replace Incomplete BIOS 3.08

So far I still only have hit or miss trackpad issues. 3.08 has fixed almost everything for me outside of that. in fact I can now idle for about 13 hours under Arch. normal usage 6 to 10 hours depending on what I am doing. So its pretty close to what I expect. I am starting to think my main board or track-pad are defective though. shrugs at least I can easily fix a mechanical issue. Hope the firmware and stuff goes open too so the community can help and spot check that side too.

1 Like

Finally a big step forward! Congrats! Releasing the firmware as 3.09 is the right choice rather than overriding the 3.08, as some people already use the 3.08.

6 Likes

Apologies for the slowness on this. The 3.09 BIOS itself is prepped, and we’re staging the download and release notes.

24 Likes

Awesome! Can’t wait to give it a spin!

1 Like

(Hitting refresh frantically on the BIOS upgrade page)

4 Likes

Available here now: BIOS 3.09 Beta release

13 Likes

@nrp do you have any estimation of how long 3.09 will remain classed as Beta?

1 Like

Likely quite awhile…because technically, even 3.07 from last December was a beta…all this time.

1 Like

You can watch the Knowledge Base - BIOS releases page below. Technically the 3.07 Windows version is not labeled as beta anymore. The Linux version is still beta. There is no 3.09 on the page yet.

1 Like

That’s good to know…

But, on track? What track? Is there a 3.10 coming in a couple of weeks? Why is there this foreseeable couple of weeks? Something to do with the release of the 12th gen mainboard? Some kind of a unified BIOS (is that even possible)?

The 3.09 Beta BIOS is on track to lose its “Beta” status in a couple of weeks.

Yes, I understood the meaning…but I don’t understand what it implies.

What makes it not a beta in a couple of weeks. Why a couple of weeks, specifically. What is that track / plan?

To say something is on track for a future event to occur means there’s a set of sequence / expectations between now and then to occur / not occur in order to get from here to there. And that sequence is planned for, anticipated with some degree of projection.

Alternatively, I could also ask: What could set it off-track…and stay on beta?

i.e. If it’s still not obvious: I’m saying, there’s a roadmap…and we don’t know about it.

@Second_Coming Beta and final release software versions can be identical, the difference is just the degree of confidence that it doesn’t contain significant issues or bugs. I would assume that they are waiting for enough people to have installed it without issue that the confidence increases to the point where the Beta label can be dropped.

I understand that. Question is why a couple of weeks. Some kind of download counter…estimating the install base of the new BIOS? Why not four weeks? Why not Aug 1st?

The other thing about road map: Let’s say Framework is still around 15 years from now… How long will 1st gen mainboard be having BIOS updates for?

Now that is a question worth asking.

LoL…Yeah, I guess I do generally tend to ask a lot of questions…off on a tangent.

Regarding BIOS updates support (you already know…but I’m just saying the following for clarity to others): It has some degree to do with EOL, planned refresh cycle…especially for those who use it for work and / or purchased via the business / corporate program (if any). For the general population, some may not care so much as their consumer laptop background / experience / expectation with BIOS update support is usually just around 2-3 years, if that. In the corporate world, we tend to see anything from 7-10 years.

There are at least two ways to look at this:

1. We’re not sure if Framework will be around for how long…so, we’ll cross the bridge when we get there.
  2. It’s already planned for x years, built into the pricing model, and best guesstimate on operating cost…etc.

Either way, there’s no transparency as to which it is…or neither.

I genuinely think it is a good question worth asking. *I was also poking fun :smiley:

We don’t know and FW possibly do not have a plan that far ahead.

I would expect them to support BIOS updates as long as there is a reasonable install base and a need. In other words significant security issue.

I know. It’s all good.

Sometimes, I just wish they give us that hard-to-swallow pill. If they don’t know, say so. If it’s hard to plan for, say so. That’s transparency.

I get where you are coming from. I feel they have been comparatively (to other manufactures) transparent overall. The RTC issue was something they probably needed time to investigate further before making a statement. A statement that would be view by many analysed and cross-examined for details.

Being transparent immediately may have been the better choice-“We don’t know why this is happening but will get back to you” I can see both sides but they are probably cautious as a start-up how to proceed. Not saying they were right or wrong in how they are/have handled it.