11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.10 Release

Great to see such a fast response to the charging bug, thanks!

1 Like

Successfully updated to 3.10 using LVFS. Unfortunately that doesn’t solve my LUKS+Yubikey issue. Aside from that seems to work fine.

1 Like

Updated via Windows. No issue there.

Thank you for the quick turnaround.

So for anyone having troubles these are the steps I had to take to get an update working (using Ubuntu 22.04):

1. You do have to re-enable lvfs-testing even if you already did for a previous update. It will ask you if you are sure, and then if you it should update the repo. Yes to both. Then close the terminal window.
  2. if you make the DisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk change it will persist, and you don’t need to do this again.
  3. open another terminal window. Now with your battery under 100% and charging, type fwupdmgr update, and you should be prompted to proceed with the update. Say yes here, and then yes again in a moment to restart.

You should be good to go then.

6 Likes

That was the key for me, although I arrived at it inadvertently. fwupdmgr was indicating no updates were available and when I tried to update (fwupdmgr update) I was just bounced back to the prompt. I had closed the lid (putting the laptop to sleep) and the next time I tried the process hung. I had to restart (force power off first because it was still hung).

On restart it worked fine but this was because I had opened a new terminal window.

Everything’s good now although I’ve lost my fingerprint reader and can’t seem to get it back.

I seem to run into some kind of silent failure when updating from 3.9 to 3.10 on Fedora 36 via lvfs. The previous update (3.8 to 3.9) went just fine when I did it a week or so ago, but this time I see the system booting into fwupd-efi 1.3, then the screen turns black and a reboot into Fedora starts.

I’m pretty sure I followed all the steps correctly and avoided any gotchas, still won’t work no matter how many times I try it. Any ideas?

Downloaded and installed, no issues thus far.

Had no issues with fedora 36

1 Like

Alright, I’m trying it. The update through LVFS went fine. I just had to do a “fwupdmgr refresh” before I could see 3.10 as being available.

2 Likes

I’m having a similar issue, but I also had the same issue when I tried updating from 3.07. I’m also on Fedora 36, and I’m truly at a loss here.

I’ve made sure of the following

1. DisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk=true in /etc/fwupd/uefi_capsule.conf persisted (no hashtag) after reopening and closing the file
  2. fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing completed without error.
  3. The battery was not fully changed, AND it was plugged in with a USB-PD adapter, and the Laptop was charging.
  4. I closed the terminal, reopened, and fwupdmgr update was executed without any error (so far as I can tell)

When the laptop restarted, it just sent to the Fedora log in screen.

I tried manually selecting the update manager from the F12 BIOS menu upon boot. The screen turned black and read “fwupd-efi version 1.3 WARNING: No updates to process, exiting in 10 seconds.” After waiting it out, the screen briefly flashed blue before booted back into Fedora.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Doesn’t the update image get stored in a EFI partition? …and if that partition is nearly full…it can’t store the image for update? (I could be really wrong here).

Maybe check how much diskspace you have left on your EFI partition?

Just to clarify, the latest beta BIOS is 3.10, but the latest stable release is 3.07. Is this correct?

Correct.

UEFI upgrade from 3.07 to 3.10 went without a hitch.

• Intel i7-1165G7
  • 32GB RAM
  • 1TB WD BLACK SN850 NVMe
  • Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro
  • Linux Mint 20.3

I did have to reset

• Maximum battery charge limit (it had reset to 100%)
  • Power button brightness (it had reset to max brightness)
1 Like

Went from 3.09 to 3.10 smoothly

The only issue, is when I press f12 it freezes. Have been like this with 3.03, 3.09 too

@Denes_Adam_Dolhay black screen freezes? Do you have quiet boot disabled?

@Kieran_Levin

Depends on when I push it. If I push before anything appears on the screen, then it remains black. If I press it when the POST is already visible, then it freezes on that screen

Yes, quiet boot is disabled

The only thing that is not stock is a 2TB Toshiba SSD KXG50PNV2T04 NVMe TOSHIBA 2048GB I carried over from my last machine

I was very happy to see the 3.10 BIOS release to fix the charging bug in 3.09. I have a dual boot system but this time I chose to run the .exe rather than the EFI version.

All went quite smoothly including recovery of the grub menus. When the install completed and the laptop rebooted it went (again) to Windows. But this time I had a suspicion so I shut it down entirely and then rebooted. The grub menus were right where I expected. Yay.

Now I cannot say whether the EFI path would have had the same effect because I didn’t reboot manually after it first came back from an EFI install.

On the (unsupported) assumption that it does not matter which path I take, I now prefer the .exe path because no USB boot and generally easier. Obviously, if I had a no Windows system installed that would not be an option.

Thanks for pushing out this fix! I was just troubleshooting this last night and confirmed the behavior with a charging meter. Great job, team!

1 Like

All, I cannot prove that my current problem is BIOS 3.10 caused but I’m having trouble figuring out what else it might me.

No WiFi! My system appears to have rebooted at some point after the update. I am confident wifi was working after the update. However, now it is not. I reapplied the update, just to be sure, but that changed nothing.

Is there possibly driver update for wifi that is involved?

I know I’m not using actual data to say why I no longer have wifi, other than the fact of it. This is damned annoying and not a little inconvenient.

Thoughts (not prayers) or suggestions appreciated. Thanks