BIOS guide

See how to enter bios and one time boot here.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. Just setting up my computer now and after a few hours of having my pinky stretch to the ctrl key was looking for a way to swap the fn and ctrl keys…and here it is!

3 Likes

Indeed it does, though what it lacks in style it makes up for with speed :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Personally I prefer this old-school BIOS interface since I find it much faster to navigate. It can be intimidating for new users though so I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets a new coat of paint at some point.

Good point, I’ll add a note about the boot key.

Glad to be of help!

1 Like

@Kieran_Levin How exactly is the Battery Disconnect setting supposed to work?

I have it turned on but the battery seems to charge the same as it does at default.

2 Likes

@jeshikat i saw a framework tweet that mentioned it is a safety feature for when you’re working on the laptop internals.

It isn’t for disabling the battery connection indefinitely while using power, the battery will reconnect automatically as soon as you reconnect to power

7 Likes

@jeshikat the battery disconnect will be activated when the system powers off/exits the bios, It is designed to be used as a safety feature when you open up the system. It is not a latched setting and the battery will be connected again the next time a charger is attached.

12 Likes

Could it be made as a latched setting? Would be helpful for people that know their laptop would desk bound for a while

6 Likes

Ok, that’s what I wasn’t sure of. I’ve updated the guide.

I would really like to see it be latched, or a way to toggle it on / off via the keyboard. Linus was very excited to see the feature, but like us didn’t know it did not stay set.

There are a lot of us that only use the laptop on the desk and powered on. This constant charging of the battery has killed many of my laptop batteries.

I ONLY need the battery when I have to be mobile.

8 Likes

I would also like to see a latched disconnect, the reason I’m even in the market for a laptop is the old one’s battery died from being left plugged in.

1 Like

I added more info about entering and navigating the BIOS, table of contents, and default/available values for almost every item.

@nrp is the BIOS version considered GFW30.03.02 or rev 5.0? And can this be made a wiki?

1 Like

I think so too. I’ve noticed Windows reports the BIOS version as 3.02 and Linux as 03.02.

1 Like

Yes, that is correct. 3.02 is our versioning. GFW30 is actually what our manufacturing partner calls the product. We’re not sure what happened to GFWs 1 through 29.

6 Likes

@nrp , thoughts on making the battery disconnect a latched setting? Seems to have some interest from the above replies.

3 Likes

It should be technically possible, but we have a long list of stability/diagnostic updates we need to make on firmware before we can get into feature additions.

14 Likes

Great! better to be on the backlog than nowhere

4 Likes

Is there runit equivalent command for that systemd command to get into bios?

PS: I hate to have to reboot and repeatedly press, sometimes if missed you have wasted like 1-2 mins xd (don’t take PS seriously btw, funky language use though, but its quite annoying).

I did a fair bit of searching and didn’t come up with a good alternative.

What kills laptop batteries fast is having it sit at 100% SoC (~4.2v per cell) for long periods of time, and is exacerbated by higher temperatures (typical inside a laptop). “Disconnecting” a battery will do nothing unless it’s at a lower SoC. I vote for a selectable charge threshold. If you set your SoC to 70-80% you can massively extend the life of the battery. I’ve run 80% on my current Lenovo X1 (6th) and the battery has only experienced a few percent degradation.

11 Likes