Black square artifacts on Core Ultra 5

Which Linux distro are you using? Up-to-date EndeavorOS

Which kernel are you using? Linux 6.10.6-arch1-1

Which BIOS version are you using? 3.01

Which Framework Laptop 13 model are you using? Core Ultra 5 125H

I am getting sporadic artifacts on the screen, which look like black squares in random patches. Happens only occasionally but it is annoying.

Anyone else with the same experience has found a solution?

I can confirm that this happens for me, too. But I have no solution.

Which Linux distro are you using? Up-to-date Ubuntu 24.04
Which kernel are you using? 6.8.0-41-generic
Which BIOS version are you using? KFM30.03.01
Which Framework Laptop 13 model are you using? Core Ultra 5 155H

Just like OP, I am seeing sporadic black squares appearing for a split second and then disappearing. Happens both on the built-in and an externally connected display. It seems to happen only when I’m running something GPU-heavy.

To investigate, I ran some benchmarks and noticed that my GPU seems to perform significantly worse than what is reported in published reviews. For example, with Geekbench 6 I’m getting:

CPU single-core: 2452 (in the review: 2201)
CPU multi-core: 10942 (in the review: 11270)
GPU (Compute/Vulkan): 22632 (in the review: 35489)

Any help is appreciated.

After some searching, I suspect the black squares issue is specific to Chromium-based browsers. Do you see them in any other application?

About the performance: which power manager are you using (ppd, tlp)? I’m not sure which is the recommended way to go straight to the best config, so I’ve been experimenting.

It even shows up in screenshots. This one is transparent squares.

I have the same issue on a Core Ultra 125H on Fedora 40. It seems exclusively in Chromium based apps (under Wayland, didn’t try X11).

1 Like

Likely an issue with the graphics driver (i915). When I first got my 12th gen Framework 13, I had tons of issues with graphical glitches that all came from the graphics driver. They have been fixed for some time now but since core ultra is still very new there’s probably some newer bugs.

I indeed think this is a driver issue, seems too reproducible to be a hardware issue. I think time will solve this, but it is quite annoying for now, especially considering that this CPU has been out for almost a year now. I will test a few different distros, including clearlinux to see if there is any where this issue doesn’t occur.

I believe disabling hardware acceleration solves the issue @Gregor_Schram
Also, this forum post I found could be related → https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/chromium-based-browsers-display-garbled-web-pages-after-mesa-is-updated/83438

1 Like

The problem also happens in other heavily hardware-accelerated applications. I have similar artifacts in PCSX2.