Blank Keyboard - how to adapt for its use?

I am thinking about buying a blank keyboard to use it as a Bepo. But I have no idea how I could get the symbols on the keys?
Does exist any DIY solution with stickers or something equivalent?

1 Like

The neat thing is, you don’t. Time to learn touch typing!

Touch typing is fine for the letter keys, but many people will have trouble with other keys.

1 Like

I have clear blanks on my 13 11th Gen. I was going to very lightly frost the keyset on with laser etching but never got around to it. Numbers and passwords are tricky but muscle memory has a pretty good hit rate at this point.

Though I wouldn’t mind if an official layout with the correct size and spacing were available to still do this some time…

List of company or individually driven projects

Custom shaped keyboard letter decals supporting Framework keyboards Custom Keyboard Stickers Builder | Keyshorts

Though, since you might only need stickers for the less used non-letter keys, cheaper options would propably be good enough.

2 Likes

Thank you @MJ1 . It is definitely what I was looking for. Given, that I live in a multilingual family and with children, I can not, not have the symbols printed on the keys. I am also too old to try being a world record owner of blind typing! :wink:

1 Like

You can get sticker sets for generic keyboards in many languages. Check Amazon or some other large online retailer.

Keyshorts definately is overpriced, so I searched for another solution and found this site:

3 Likes

Keyshort is certainly not cheap, but I haven’t yet seen anyone else who has stickers for the extra keys. The whole Esc Media/Fn row, plus Home, End, PgUp, PgDn, Insert/Del. Some don’t even offer Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Tab, Caps, Fn or arrows.

You mean these: https://keyoverlay.com/modifier-and-function-signs ?

3 Likes

Ok, that does make keyoverlay a complete solution! Nice. Presuming you don’t mind feeling the edges of the stickers, or maybe a higher chance of dirt and dust sticking to the edges. But given the big price difference compared to some keyshorts custom stickers, seems like a worthy trade off.

Wish they had a white color option for these https://keyoverlay.com/modifier-and-function-signs/small-transparent-modifier-and-function-keys-stickers-for-keyboard Wouldn’t really want blue for shift, alt, enter, arrow keys, etc, since blue is usually for Fn functions.

Couple interesting stickers in this set! Special Keys – Function and Navigations Stickers for Keyboard Vol 2.
My laptop did not come with a “handgun” or “AK-47” option!

I guess those are just for fun. :grin:

If you have any requests, you should try to contact them via mail: info@keyoverlay.com
I’d also be interested in those white function key stickers, if I change my order to a blank keyboard.

Wanted to quote your post @ATi (about keyoverlay.com) , but I don’t understand how it works and could not find a manual about the forum. But it is not really important…

Thank you for your hint. I will save it. I suggest you to add your link to the forum page listing all solutions given earlier by @MJ1

If you highlight the text that you wish to quote, you’ll see a “quote” button appear.

The forum software uses Discourse, you can find more information on how things work here Discourse New User Guide - users - Discourse Meta

There is also a bot that will take you through an interactive tutorial if you send it a private message. Profile - discobot - Framework Community

Consider it done. :wink:

Such a nice community!

1 Like

Same here, don’t understand how they decided blue would be the best color option. I would like black.