Blank Keyboard - how to adapt for its use?

I am thinking about buying a blank keyboard to use it as a Bepo. But I have no idea how I could get the symbols on the keys?
Does exist any DIY solution with stickers or something equivalent?

1 Like

The neat thing is, you don’t. Time to learn touch typing!

Touch typing is fine for the letter keys, but many people will have trouble with other keys.

1 Like

I have clear blanks on my 13 11th Gen. I was going to very lightly frost the keyset on with laser etching but never got around to it. Numbers and passwords are tricky but muscle memory has a pretty good hit rate at this point.

Though I wouldn’t mind if an official layout with the correct size and spacing were available to still do this some time…

1 Like

List of company or individually driven projects

Custom shaped keyboard letter decals supporting Framework keyboards Custom Keyboard Stickers Builder | Keyshorts

Though, since you might only need stickers for the less used non-letter keys, cheaper options would propably be good enough.

2 Likes

Thank you @MJ1 . It is definitely what I was looking for. Given, that I live in a multilingual family and with children, I can not, not have the symbols printed on the keys. I am also too old to try being a world record owner of blind typing! :wink:

1 Like

You can get sticker sets for generic keyboards in many languages. Check Amazon or some other large online retailer.

Keyshorts definately is overpriced, so I searched for another solution and found this site:

3 Likes

Keyshort is certainly not cheap, but I haven’t yet seen anyone else who has stickers for the extra keys. The whole Esc Media/Fn row, plus Home, End, PgUp, PgDn, Insert/Del. Some don’t even offer Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Tab, Caps, Fn or arrows.

You mean these: https://keyoverlay.com/modifier-and-function-signs ?

3 Likes

Ok, that does make keyoverlay a complete solution! Nice. Presuming you don’t mind feeling the edges of the stickers, or maybe a higher chance of dirt and dust sticking to the edges. But given the big price difference compared to some keyshorts custom stickers, seems like a worthy trade off.

Wish they had a white color option for these https://keyoverlay.com/modifier-and-function-signs/small-transparent-modifier-and-function-keys-stickers-for-keyboard Wouldn’t really want blue for shift, alt, enter, arrow keys, etc, since blue is usually for Fn functions.

Couple interesting stickers in this set! Special Keys – Function and Navigations Stickers for Keyboard Vol 2.
My laptop did not come with a “handgun” or “AK-47” option!

I guess those are just for fun. :grin:

If you have any requests, you should try to contact them via mail: info@keyoverlay.com
I’d also be interested in those white function key stickers, if I change my order to a blank keyboard.

Wanted to quote your post @ATi (about keyoverlay.com) , but I don’t understand how it works and could not find a manual about the forum. But it is not really important…

Thank you for your hint. I will save it. I suggest you to add your link to the forum page listing all solutions given earlier by @MJ1

If you highlight the text that you wish to quote, you’ll see a “quote” button appear.

The forum software uses Discourse, you can find more information on how things work here Discourse New User Guide - users - Discourse Meta

There is also a bot that will take you through an interactive tutorial if you send it a private message. Profile - discobot - Framework Community

Consider it done. :wink:

Such a nice community!

1 Like

Same here, don’t understand how they decided blue would be the best color option. I would like black.