[SOLVED] "Boot Device Missing" when 2TB WD Black SN850X SSD is installed on 11th gen i5

When I install my WD Black SN850X SSD and boot up my laptop it only shows the “Boot Device Missing” screen with no options.

I can’t find a way to update the firmware like this guide because WD dashboard can’t detect the SSD unless it’s installed and if I install the SN850X I can’t get pass the “Boot Device Missing” screen to reach the dashboard to update the firmware.

Is the SN850X just not compatible with my 11th Gen Framework? Did I miss some warning somewhere? Please help!

Can you boot a linux Live ISO and check if that would recognize your SSD?

1 Like

How would I go about doing that?

You would download distribution like ubuntu and create an usb stick (or any type of bootable medium really) with this image and select it as your boot medium on boot.

I’ll try that now but what do I do if I can recognize my SSD? how would I update my firmware from that Linux Live ISO? WD Dashboard only works on windows.

Right, you probably need to either find a Windows computer where you can do this from or create a Windows live image where you install the WD Dashboard onto.

I was just suggesting Linux because I have not a lot of experience with Windows + WD and can help debugging in Linux.

You can create a Windows live media if you have experience in it,- was just suggesting Linux because it’s easy to do any free.

Good luck,- let us know what path you chose and what results you have.

On linux, you can run something like “lspci” and “lsusb” to check which devices are connected and recognized from the kernel.

WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™ SSD

500GB
1TB
2TB

I bought the SN850X from the framework marketplace.

I can’t figure out how to make a bootable WinPE USB so I’m gonna try Linux even if I don’t think that will fix the problem.

Using a Bootable ZorinOS USB I happened to have on hand. I was able to verify that the computer could detect the SSD. I don’t know what to do with this info but there it is.

If you purchased your SSD from Framework, I would recommend sending a message to support if you haven’t already. It could take them a little time to get back to you, since they are going to be catching up from the break that they just took, but they will be able to support this issue best. Keep an eye out here too, because hopefully someone who has experienced this same issue finds this post they may be able to offer their help as well.

1 Like

It may not be related to your issue but my SN850 - which I’ve been using for months now - just started experiencing the same issue. Can’t boot at all, and when I use a Linux live CD it can’t detect the NVMe drive. I see the following log message as well:

nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status: -19

Anyone else having the same issue with these SN850 drives?

It looks like the drive SN850 is known to have issues.

You can use this thread to update from Linux.

You can also contact support, maybe they have another idea.

@Ethical_Skeleton, have you installed an operating system on the new SSD, that isn’t detected now? If so, can you navigate through the boot file system after pressing F3 when booting? Can you find the boot loader and start it?

“have you installed an operating system on the new SSD, that isn’t detected now?”
I took the SSD directly from the book and installed it.
“If so, can you navigate through the boot file system after pressing F3 when booting? Can you find the boot loader and start it?”
I’m sorry I don’t really understand what you are suggesting

I’m currently in contact with support but not much progress yet.

@Ethical_Skeleton - from your reply to @Viandant, I am guessing that you have not yet installed an operating system on the nvme drive. If that is the case, it explains why you are getting the message regarding boot device missing. The drives sold with the DIY edition do not come with an OS installed, that is up to the user.

If the above is correct, you will need to create an installation USB for Windows or Linux, then install onto the NVME. Good luck!

1 Like

Welp there it is folks. I didn’t realize that you needed to reinstall your operating system when upgrading your SSD. My bad.

1 Like

Hello everyone. The new WD SN850X does not have the firmware issue that the older/earlier production WD SN850s had where you were required to use the Windows Western Digital installer to update. As mentioned by @Ethical_Skeleton above, this was a case of not reinstalling the OS after upgrading.

2 Likes