Calling all Steam Deck users

I am super interested and I know at least 5 more people with steam decks who would be.

1. 64GB
  2. Yes
  3. Yes. Performance from the SD card has been great and loading times have not been an issue, however the internal emmc drive still gets filled up easily with shader caches which have caused me to want to upgrade the storage. Many programs and game mods i have tried also only work with internal storage.
  4. No. I don’t feel comfortable buying one from ebay. I would absolutely buy one from framework and swap it myself though, as its buying it that is my only problem right now.
  1. 512 GB
  2. Not yet
  3. No, planning to use 1TB from sandisk
  4. Not yet, but considering

Side note: my deck is from batch that is using x2 pci-e for m.2 drive, I have not experienced any uncomfortable performance issues with it

1. 64GB with the intention of replacing it myself.
  2. Yes. Even with the upgraded storage, it’s hard to fit more then a handful of big games on the SSD and I have to shuffle things around a lot.
  3. Yes. Honestly love it the SD card seems to be just as fast as the internal SSD. They can be easily swapped out and the OS does a pretty good job of mounting everything properly. I’m using a 512GB and a 256GB for various games.
  4. Yes. I actually swapped mine out before I ever even turned it on! I got a 512GB as it as the easiest to find and had the cost value at the time but, again, I would love to upgrade to something bigger if they were available and priced right.

I would love one

Uhhh… did someone post this thread on a Steam Deck community? Getting a lot of responses today!

1 Like

The outcome is that many people like to have the SSD upgraded. Is the possibility of getting (and selling) SSDs in 2230 factor still a thing?

I purchased the lowest model of deck. Storage was not enough right away so I purchased an SD card.

SD performance is fine most of the time but in games that actively load and unload during gameplay it makes them unplayable. An example is final fantasy 7 remake, which runs smoothly in small arenas like summon fights, but anywhere else in the game constantly freezes as it accesses the SD to load and unload assets.

I have not replaced the HDD yet. That’s planned for after I get my framework laptop, a new desktop GPU, and a new monitor. The steam deck is great as is so it’s a low priority purchase

1. 64GB
  2. Yes
  3. Good, got a 512GB samsung evo
  4. Not yet

I will get an ssd at some point. I would love to buy a 1TB ssd from framework as opposed to eBay or amazon. This would be amazing for the community! You may also want to gauge interest from users of surface laptops. Maybe could convert some of them on their next laptop purchase :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fun fact, the M.2 2230 SSDs I’ve been eyeing for a potential Steam Deck upgrade are typically either OEM replacements for Surface notebooks, or drives harvested FROM Surface notebooks. There’s also an option from Dell at the moment but they want like $180 for 512 GB which is more than SK Hynix’ll sell it to you directly off Amazon (and more than some eBay sellers list 1TB for, although eBay comes with it’s own risks)

1 Like

The storage upgrade prices are insane! My surface only has 128gb and the SD card slot broke! Will be buying an external storage card from FW when they are available in my country.

1. 64GB
  2. Yes
  3. Yes, works well until you run into issues with the shader cache…
  4. No, but I want too and the main reason for not having done this already is the difficulty/cost of sourcing a drive.

Any news about the M.2s? @nrp

2 Likes

This is now live Framework | Western Digital SN740 NVMe - M.2 2230

7 Likes

Thanks, @nrp !

Sadly it is not available in Germany. Is that by accident or by purpose? @nrp

@ElKrasso as announced its US and canada only for now:

2 Likes
  1. 64
  2. Yes, I would be happy with 128
  3. Yes, 128GB. Everything is fine with loading times. I don, t complain
  4. No

I’m not a Steam Deck user, but I think users of handheld gaming devices and thin and light laptops will be interested. (e.g. ROG Ally/Flow Z13,Microsoft Surface)

I pre-ordered a 512GB Deck and then later purchased a 1TB microSD as insurance(but never used it) 512GB has been more than enough for me