Can anyone confirm if this RAM kit would work on the FW16? (7840HS)

I think that fallback to JEDEC and it should work.
At least they mentioned JEDEC in their Spec Sheet PDF and it seems that the timings 40-40-40 are in the JEDEC specification for DDR5.

3 Likes

40-40-40 is for very slow DDR5 speeds.

40-40-40 is the fastest standard speed for 5600 MT/s in the DDR5 specification, anything faster is overclocking, probably using EXPO (which isn’t supported by the 7840hs, the 7940hs does support EXPO but it’s unclear if Framework will).

The other standard speeds for 5600 MT/s DDR5 are 46-45-45, 46-46-46, and 50-49-49.

4 Likes

In general, EXPO/XMP modules should fall back to JEDEC timings, however, we have seen instances on Framework Laptop 13 where DDR4 XMP modules did not function properly. Given that we won’t be able to test all of the memory modules available on the market, we recommend sticking with modules that use standard JEDEC timings, since that is what the system will use anyway.

6 Likes

Timings without frequency are meaningless.

4 Likes

Googled the Kingston kit for the datasheet:

It shows the JEDEC speed/timings are DDR5-5600 CL40-40-40 @ 1.1V

That represents the fastest clock and tightest timings for JEDEC. Good choice.

sooo… I am still confused on whether or not that Kingston kit would work :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If someone could answer, I’d appreciate it. Does the 7840hs not support expo? This is my first AMD CPU so I’m used to XMP on Intel where it works on all cpus. As an overclocker, I was hoping to be able to make my memory faster with the base model fw 16😅.

XMP definitely does not work on pretty much all intel mobile cpus (and all desktop cpus on the lower end chipsets for that matter).

AMD dektop chips all support expo too, not sure that’s a sensible comparison.

It seems that AMD Ryzen™ 7 7840HS does not support EXPO as we can see in the general specifications here.

1 Like

Oh well. You can’t have everything.

Eh, see what’s on offer by the time they’re packing orders. Might be faster clock SODIMMs around even in my sundried land-of-upside-down by then.

Which memory is compatible with Framework 16?

The configuration page says:
DDR5 SO-DIMMs up to 32GB each at up to to DDR5-5600 speeds are compatible with the Framework Laptop 16. While memory that meets that standard should work, the memory we sell in the Framework Marketplace is tested for compatibility. We recommend avoiding XMP DDR5.

But which manufacturer currently offers this?
I have only found modules that run with XMP and none without.

1 Like

Have you seen this topic?

There they talk about a cruical kit and a Kingston fury kit. However I couldn’t find a confirmation if they work in that topic.

1 Like

Thanks.

Then this module should work …?

The other option that I’m considering is the 96GB (48GB x 2) kit. This goes beyond the max mentioned by Framework, but was shown as working in a screenshot from someone at Framework.

Can someone at Framework please confirm that the 96GB configuration does work on the Framework 16? And will the specs be updated to reflect that?

Thanks.

4 Likes

The specs won’t be updated because IIRC non-binary kits aren’t officially supported by the Ryzen platform.

It sounded like AMD was updating their BIOS at least on desktops to support non-binary DDR5 RAM. Was a similar update made on the Framework 16?

Unless Nirav or someone else from Framework pops in here, we won’t know.

Same! Going G.Skill though, I love their stuff in general and its a good company to work with. Hopefully, they have an RGB laptop RAM module by the time they release it!

It’s a really nice savings tbh to pick up third party. But makes me curious what their custom RAM kit achieves.

You won’t be seeing the RAM module. I don’t think there is a point in making an RGB one.

4 Likes