Can I expect the AMD Framework 13 to be reliable?

So I love what Framework is doing, so much so that I bought the 13 when the 11th gen first came out. However, eventually I became plagued with the infamous CMOS issues and could no longer reliably use the laptop without having to charge it within 24 hours of use, even with new CMOS batteries. I stopped using it as a result. Given that the entirety of the laptop is still just fine and that it’s only the mainboard that has a flaw, I decided to preorder the AMD motherboard to replace the 11th gen intel one with. But, I NEED A RELIABLE LAPTOP. I can live with expansion card issues and such that they noted they were having in the email from a few days ago, but I sincerely need the laptop to at least turn on when I need it to turn on without assistance. Is that a reasonable expectation to have now that Framework has a couple years of experience under their belt?

CMOS batteries are no longer used in 13th Gen and AMD systems. You should not have an issue with the system not powering on now.

1 Like

seeing as there is already a fix for the 11th gen that is pretty advanced, a fix in the works for the 11th gen that is much simpler, and the 12th gen and 13th gen have had no issues, I would guess that Framework are being extra careful to make sure something like this doesn’t happen again. Obviously unexpected things can happen with any product (like you mentioned about the AMD board issues), but Framework has proven time and again that their goal is to take care of users and do their best to provide fixes if they can.

The 12th gen Intel one likes to shutdown during Modern Standby. BUT, it will

So I guess it satisfies the OP’s requirements of reliability XD

2 Likes

Is that not a windows issue?
Windows “Modern” Standby seems to be a buggy mess that no one asked for.

2 Likes

It doesn’t happen on other laptops as far as I’m aware. It’s likely an issue only for Windows modern standby and Framework 12th gen Intel mainboards. I’m not going to place blame on anyone yet. Also, S3 sleep is even buggier than modern standby for me so I’ll rather suffer with modern standby than with S3 sleep. There’s a thread on this issue.

1 Like

as the owner of just the 11th gen I wasn’t tracking this issue closely, thanks for the reminder! But yeah, my point is more that with each generation Framework is improving, and their reliability is slowly getting better. Thankfully unlike the 11th gen issues, disabling WMS is possible to circumvent the shutdowns, and I haven’t heard of either of these being an issue on the 13th gen.

I hope and expect so, especially because they acquired a lot of experience from the previous motherboard generations, plus the experience the team members already had.

The rest of the hardware is almost the same.

I see the electrical issues they found a good example that they are serious about creating something that’s reliable.
I personally think that the decision to postpone mass production and fix the issue shows that quality beats deadlines and that’s a huge plus in my opinion.

The team seems qualified and smart to learn from previous version mistakes.

I think we will be fine! Let’s trust the process. :crossed_fingers: :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Not true. 12th gen is also impacted by the thunderbolt disconnects when the charge limit is set below 100%. This is not an OS issue, it happens on Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD.

3 Likes

There are also some issues the beta BIOS tried to fix, but introduced some new issues. No update in 9 months: 12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.06 Beta

3 Likes

To clarify, I do not own a 12th gen laptop and have not been following any threads about issues with it. The statement that everyone is quoting is me saying that the 12th and 13th gen laptops have not had any CMOS battery issues. I am not trying to state that the 12th or 13th gen laptops have no issues whatsoever, just not with the CMOS battery.