Clear Color Shells for the Framework Laptop!

The ethernet card is clear!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I remember those transparent phones. also the gameboys and vaguely n64, and iā€™ve got a red translucent ps2 controller, I dont think ive ever seen the console though, or the dreamcast. Theyā€™re cool. I remember the imacs as well.

1 Like

Also asked for this one which they actually made, but apparently itā€™s like really hard to fabricate!

Hopefully when some R&D budget opens up later weā€™ll get one~

+1 for a transparent bezel :orange_heart:

4 Likes

this pinebook prototype looks fire!

10 Likes

Coming back to say I love how much the clear aesthetic has risen so far recently. dBrandā€˜S PS5 plates and Beatsā€™ new transparent buds come to mind. Those are pretty mainstream, how about that!

Iā€™m so dainty with my electronics, I think Iā€™d go for the clear shell even if I had to sign away my warranty lol

I think clear metal isnā€™t really an option. And they already tried to make the bezel and keyboard transparent. And all other parts are metallic from the outside.

Itā€™s a dream, for sure. Sad to hear it ran into problems significant enough to stop it, even for a team who obviously like the idea.

If a clear case is produced itā€™s likely to be a hit. You (FW) are aiming at a market demographic who love tech, and probably love seeing the fiddly bits. It would sell. Choosing between premium-feeling magnesium body and a less fancy plastic (or very expensive transparent metal) alternative body may seem like a killer for the dev time, but I dunnoā€¦ youā€™ll probably be surprised.

So, open questionā€¦ oh look thereā€™s a voting system here.

How much extra would you (the reader) pay for a clear case Framework body?

• <$100usd
  • $100-200usd
  • $200-300usd
  • $300usd or more

0 voters

Prices pulled out of thin air. I have no idea what this would cost. But hey look, a poll!

Thereā€™s a clear solution to the strength/thickness issue

1 Like

@nrp Iā€™d be totally okay with a thicker, blockier laptop if I can have it in purple or green clear plastic. Please consider looking into this, or setting up partnerships with other companies that have a track record of excellence at doing this right, such as for example Extremerate!