Colorful Decal Kits

In an attempt to actually answer the question, check out this video: Framework Modular Laptop Assembly and Teardown Review! - YouTube

Check out the closeup at exactly 0:30. On the bottom cover, there does appear to be at least one plastic piece that isn’t removable.

This one also has some good shots of both sides of the input cover: Hands-On with Framework's Fully Modular Laptop! - YouTube (around 12:30)

This might sound silly, but the best path to getting a commitment from a vendor like dbrand might be to get one of their most public faces involved… someone who just happens to love the Framework laptop. (hint: Linus Sebastian)

6 Likes

Just Throwing this in here since it is related to the topic of Decal design.

Hello Framework

My name is Mattias and I am very positively surprised after hearing about Framework and your right-to-repair path to making consumers feel more in control.

I am currently doing art for a hobby and would look forward to doing some skin/ material mockups for the Framework Laptop. Would it be possible to get access to your Cad files or a more comprehensive specs sheet/blueprint, I am mostly interested in the external specs and I also understand if you do not want to share internal cad files.

Best Regards,
Marty_Senpai

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

@obfuscurity That’s not silly at all, getting Linus to poke dbrand or others to incentivize third-party Framework accessories is a great idea! (hint hint @nrp)

2 Likes

I’ve also written to decalgirl and shown them the thread here. Hoping that they start to offer a custom skin soon.

4 Likes

I ordered a custom sized skin from DecalGirl and just got it in and put it on. Drat. I didn’t get the measurements right. There’s a gap height-wise of around 2 mm. Oh well, doesn’t look too bad. FYI, here’s the measurements you probably should use if you order one yourself:

Width (inches): 11.687
Depth (inches): 9.0551 (I ordered 9 inches – mistake)

8 Likes

That’s a great idea, after all, he stated he wants to support as much as possible the company, and knowing he has a very close relationship with Dbrand that may be not too far out for him to do

Can you share a photo, even with a little “Opps” it would be great to see.

Okay, here’s my rather inexpert skin application result. Please pardon the extra sticker. :wink:

4 Likes

Looks great, including the extra sticker.
Ignoring the measurements issue, how easy was their product to put on and get smooth.

Do you expect it to be able to removed in time when it gets all scratched up?

It wasn’t super hard to install or smooth. The most difficult part by far is to align it. I have no idea how difficult it would be to remove it though. I’ve never tried with any of these skins.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info on sizing, and for being our canary in the coalmine. :grin:

2 Likes

Considering Linus’ love for the laptop, buying one during the review / unboxing stream, and then going on to talk about how he wants to invest in the company, I would think that getting him to at least approach dbrand would not be difficult, provided they had a way of reaching him.

I have used dbrand skins on several phones and on several Surface tablets. I have always liked the quality and finish of their products. It would be great if they could make skins for us.

1 Like

@Moronpalindromenorom Echoing the thanks for giving this a try! For the corners, did you cut the rounded corners out freehand?

1 Like

No, the custom size form has an option for square or rounded corners. I chose rounded. The rounded corners are not quite rounded enough if you want perfect coverage, though you could hand cut them for optimum coverage. Or you could just fold the excess over the edge if you don’t mind the aesthetics. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve used DecalGirl in the past for a few different laptops, and I like their skins. They’re nice sturdy vinyl, they have some reall cool graphics, and you can even upload a custom graphic and use that (I’ve purchased both regular and my own custom graphics).
I just looked at them today as my partner asked about getting a skin for her new Framework. If you choose an existing design, you can choose to get a custom size and enter the dimensions and they will pre-cut it to fit.
If you go with a custom graphic, you have to choose one of their pre-established sizes. I believe the Medium laptop is the best fit for the Framework laptop. It would need a little trimming but the vinyl is pretty easy to trim.
I’ll update as soon as we get ours for our new laptop (maybe even with pictures).

2 Likes

“This is rumor control…”

IIUC, Linus Sebastian is (most likely) not going to invest, at least monetarily. Not, mind, due to anything framework is “doing wrong”, but because of the likely conflict-of-interest issues it would create. He seemed pretty eager to support framework in other ways, however, but the COI issue is definitely a legitimate concern. (Again, nothing against either party, it’s just the way business and the law work. I have similar issues with my own employment, so I can relate.)

Disclaimer: above is based on 2021-08-08 WAN show; I haven’t watched the one from 2021-08-13 one yet.

2 Likes

How do you order a custom size at DecalGirl? I just see options for small medium and large laptops if it’s not one of the pre-configured sizes.

Click the ‘Choose your model’, then scroll all the way to the bottom and pick ‘Universal Fit’. From there you can choose the size that best fits.

1 Like