Consistent Wake from Sleep Issues on Linux Edit:(5x Distros Tested)

OK. I’ve tried:

• ElementaryOS 6
  • Fedora 35 beta

in addition to the distros listed above, and both also have consistent issues with wake from sleep. At this point, I have to assume it’s the drive. I have a WD SN750 in my home desktop that currently has a borked windows install on it. I’m going to pull that and see if it fixes the issue.

1 Like

Ubuntu 21.10 with the stock 5.13.20 kernel has no issues with waking from sleep. Anything 5.14 and above seems to have issues.

@Nixingit I’m pretty sure most of my testing was done with 5.13. I started my Manjaro KDE install on 5.13, and bumped it to 5.14 to see if the suspend issue persisted, and it did.

I swapped the WD SN750 I had in, and am running Pop! now. A lot of the weirdness immediately went away (there’s still some, but a lot less).

Adding "mem_sleep_default=deep" using kernel stub seems to have addressed the remaining issues? Still need to use it a little more to verify that the drive was the problem.

1 Like

Oh yeah, that’s also the first thing I edited. With that, seems okay. But yeah 5.14 and above is a crap shoot.

thanks for posting this - just want to +1 that I’m also having to force reboot everytime I want to wake my framework. I’m on Manjaro Gnome.

$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=21.1.6
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Pahvo
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"

journalctl --boot -1 --pager-end --catalog (with Storage=persistent set in /etc/systemd/journald.conf) shows not log entries since going to the last entry when the machine went to sleep.

Here's a sample of the tail on my last boot's entry
Nov 01 19:46:54 mymachine systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit sleep.target has finished successfully
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support
░░ 
░░ A start job for unit sleep.target has finished successfully.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 2912.
Nov 01 19:46:54 mymachine systemd[1]: Starting System Suspend...
░░ Subject: A start job for unit systemd-suspend.service has begun execution
░░ 
░░ A start job for unit systemd-suspend.service has begun execution.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 2911.
Nov 01 19:46:54 mymachine systemd-sleep[32144]: Entering sleep state 'suspend'...
░░ Subject: System sleep state suspend entered
░░ 
░░ The system has now entered the suspend sleep state.
Nov 01 19:46:54 mymachine kernel: PM: suspend entry (s2idle)

@jon What drive are you running? My sleep issues have almost completely gone away after swapping out my Crucial P5.

Oh interesting note about the drive. I ordered this laptop with the WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe (and then I also got an “storage” expansion slot, but that’s not the drive my OS and/or boot is on, so seems unrelated).

I don’t currently have another SSD I can use to experiment and prove/disprove a hypothesis about the SN850 being problematic, but if this issue/thread isn’t resolved in another month, then I might have an SSD by then.

@jon I’m running with a SN850 and have no problem waking my machine from sleep apart from it taking longer than it seems like it should.

Thanks Ron. Good to know - I also can confirm a couple tests today (since I posted earlier here) show I can wake from sleep due to inactivity. (and +1 that it takes a strangely long time… O(10)sec… maybe 30 seconds on last success?)

I’ll report back if lid-close’s sleep suddenly start waking without issues.

I’ll report back if lid-close’s sleep suddenly start waking without issues.

Okay this actually just happened. New hypothesis: it might have to do with being plugged into a usbc doc (external display → usbc hub → laptop) at time of sleep. This is the first time I’ve closed the lid away from my desk/hub, so hadn’t made the distinction. I’ll report back how testing with the dock goes.

1 Like

The long sleep resumes seem to be with enabling mem_sleep_default=deep. Usually it’s around 10 seconds for me.

Running Manjaro KDE + the 850 ssd. I’m using the thunderbolt port of my external monitor to drive power + display + USB devices without an issue.

My only issue is SDDM/KDE related where if I yank the monitor out while the device is asleep the login manager crashes and the virtual terminals don’t always connect. So now I’m paranoid about unplugging before locking.

1 Like

On my Manjaro also with the 850 I have constant wake from sleep issues. Some times it works somtimes it doesn’t. Sometimes it wakes with the touchpad way more sensitive. Sometimes it wakes to a black screen with a blinking cursor. Sometimes when it wakes it tries to shutdown and then says “cannot find shutdown binary”.

I’ve had nothing but issues with sleep and waking and using it in clamshell with a tb4 dock.

2 Likes

Just as an example I’ve been using the laptop all day today and it has awoken just fine all day. But now however, I go to use the computer and it’s not waking up. Just has a black screen and doesn’t respond at all. All I can do is hold the power button down until it turns off and force a reboot.

2 Likes

@nomb85 I’ve had issues with the touchpad not initializing if I try to provide input before the wake cycle is complete and I get a splash screen. I also had issues with shutdown previously, but they went away when I switched drives and enabled deep sleep.

I’ve always had deep sleep enabled even though it makes it so much longer to wake and i’m using the 850 that came with it so not a cheap drive or anything I’m sure they tested this.

I left Linux on laptop 10 years ago exactly because I was fed up with sleep/awake issues. Just placed an order on Framework DIY two days ago, but reading this thread gives me PTSD :scream:

1 Like

Hmm. I have the same wakeup issues on (non-Linux) OpenBSD, which has a completely different driver codebase for all types of “hard drives” - and my FW also boots off a WD Black SN850 (bought locally). Several previous laptops over the last decade or so have done sleep/awake nicely on this OS. At least one other person with the same OS release does not have such issues, so it’s looking like either one batch of the 850’s have a defect, or, the @Framework BIOS has an issue with these drives. Team: any thoughts?

FWIW, mine identifies as model WDS100T1X0E-00AF. Others with SN850 including @jon @Anil_Kulkarni @nomb85 or anyone else with an 850 and non-Windows OS , please reply with your full exact model number and whether suspend/resume works perfectly (i.e. every time) or not? This may help narrow the problem down. Thanks!

1 Like

@BesselFunct The touchpad not initializing has been a commonly reported issue, and disabling PS/2 emulation in the BIOS seems to be the workaround.

My worse issues have been on Manjaro. I should note that I do not have any wake issues on Windows. This issue actually made me install Windows again on my main drive and move Linux over to the 1TB USB.

I seem to only have the issues on Linux. If it is drive related that it has to be an issue in the Linux kernel.

I have worse issues plugged into a dock. The worse is when it decides to just crash on wake.

Yep while this might be better for battery drainage during sleep, it does create a longer wake time.

1 Like

I’ll have to wait until I reboot again out of Windows but on Windows it identifies as: WDS200T1X0E-00AF

Full one: WDS200T1X0E-00AFY0613200WD