Unable to wake from sleep

Anything new on this problem?
It happens to me once or twice a week. I Put the machine to sleep with keyboard command and it won’t wake up. Have to use power button to shut down. Reboot usually works okay. Usually only happens after an extended sleep period.

For the record, my situation is Ubuntu 5.11.0-38-generic. Firmware and sleep settings are default as I haven’t tinkered with them.
Last message in log:
Nov 07 20:56:39 oak systemd-sleep[135126]: Suspending system…

1 Like

I haven’t heard any updates. :frowning:

1 Like

So I tried on my Ubuntu 21.10 running the linux kernel, 5.15.0-051500-generic and nothing changed. Once my laptop goes to sleep via closing lid, I still cannot wake it up besides a hard reboot by pressing down the power button.

Hopefully someone out there has some better insight :frowning:

@Ivan_Diaz does the same issue occur if you use a Live USB instead of installing onto the internal SSD? Could you share what SSD you are using?

Certainly, this is what I bought and installed with, Amazon.com

I have not tried with a Live USB, I can try to give it a go. At the moment its just running off my internal SSD.

I feel like most of my issues with the Framework since I have received it have been about suspending and waking. Really makes it frustrating. Here are some of threads I’m on about it:

Honestly it’s been very frustrating replacing my old laptop with this one so far because most of the time it is my desktop replacement. And having to constantly undock it, open it, try to wake it, hold down the button to kill it, restart it, plug it back in, close it, redock it, has been a pain in the ___.

1 Like

I am having a similar issue. In my case, my laptop REFUSES to wake up from sleep and instead just shows a blue screen that the boot sector cannot be found. When I manually use the power button to switch off and on it works again.

My config

DiY i5 Batch 4
SSD: Crucial P5 1TB
RAM: 16GBx1 Crucial Kit supplied by Framework

I have noticed this issue both plugged and plugged out. My laptop never reliably switches on after standby. This is an issue both on Fedora and Windows.

With Windows I directly get the boot sector blue screen. With Fedora the behaviour is very strange. I am able to log into the desktop again with my password, but everything is non-responsive. I can move my mouse cursor, the button clicking animations work, but there is literally no output aside from that. I am not able to shut down without pressing the power button and when I do I see a bunch of errors pop up on screen with ‘FAILED’ in red showing. I have to manually force shut down my laptop to be able to use it again after those errors.

I will try to take a picture of the errors that pop up and post on this thread.

1 Like

I am also having this issue in Windows 10. The laptop screen goes blank like its sleeping but then nothing can wake it. The power button light is solid which I think indicates sleep and not hibernation. In order to get the system back I need to hold down the power button to shut it completely off and then back on again. To me this is a really annoying and I’m about to return the system. I am coming from a apple Macbook which has worked pretty flawlessly for about 5 years and I has high hopes for the framework. I’ll keep an eye on this thread but if It can’ be solved soon it’s going back.

2 Likes

No. If the system is in sleep mode, the power light pulses. If the system is in hibernate, the power light is completely off (since the system has powered off).

1 Like

Then the system is on and the screen won’t turn on? Seems like a more serious problem then.

1 Like

It sounds like Windows is getting stuck trying to go into sleep mode and freezes. I haven’t used Windows as my daily-driver in over a decade, so I can’t really help beyond that, but other people more knowledgeable on the Windows side of things should be able to help you figure out where to look (in terms of logs) to figure out what’s going on.

1 Like

I mean, that’s the problem I described when I opened this thread. I’ve posted all the screenshots of the sleep behavior at the top but we still haven’t gotten any resolution on this issue.

1 Like

Debian sid is also pretty solid :wink:

1 Like

This works flawless on my windows system from day one. On battery or USB-C power.

Check if other programs might be getting in the way… Often I have found this to be the case.

My windows install is also working fine with default power settings. My issues are all in Linux.

Been experiencing this issue for a little bit now as well. I just updated my BiOS to v3.06 and the Driver Bundle to 10/29/2021. Currently on Windows 11 right now, thought it was possibly an issue with the OS, but reading through the thread I am wondering if it is maybe the driver bundle still causing the issue. I had previously reinstalled the OS on my laptop to correct the issue and had installed the 07/08/2021. No freezing on sleep issues after I had did that, but have returned on the 10/29/2021 bundle. I’m going to try restoring my power settings to default as well, just to see if this may help me.
EDIT: Power settings being reset to Default did not correct my issue. Still freezing up on lock up. Any further ideas would be appreciated!

I am also having sleep/wake problems with Windows 11. Today it was as described previously: system is asleep (pulsing power light) but would not wake up. Had to power it off and back on. It had been on the dock overnight, but I had taken it off before trying to wake it up because I needed to use it away from my desk.

I’ve also had many times when it wouldn’t sleep correctly. The screen (attached via the dock) will go dark, and then immediately come back on to the login screen. I believe this is also happening away from the dock; there have been multiple times when I thought I had put it in sleep mode and came back to find it awake. (This especially worries me because I often have to travel with my laptop and leave it in the trunk for many hours. If it is waking up/running while in the bag, I’m concerned about heat damage.)

I installed the latest BIOS (3.07) and driver package earlier this week. I will try to gather more detailed info going forward.

1 Like

Similar situation currently. Everything was working great until I opened the lid last night. And now I get the same issue as the posted video earlier in this thread…October 12, 2021 - YouTube

2 Likes

After spending the morning testing with my new framework I believe this is a kernel issue (at least on linux). Testing with Kubuntu 21.10 I see sleep functioning normally on kernel 5.13, but if I switch to 5.15 I just get the black screen with constantly-lit power button. I can reliably recreate both scenarios flipping back and forth.

I don’t know enough about linux kernels to suggest a possible root cause, but hopefully this will save some people some headache.

I tried switching to Linux kernel 5.13.0-37-generic (using Pop_OS! 21.10) and this did not fix it for me. I have a DIY edition (see also: Framework and PopOS - #101 by aos)