Converting Framework 13 to a FrankenPad

3d printing company?

1 Like

This unfortunately looks like it’s just the externals so far but I’ll keep an eye on it.

What do you mean by original?

1 Like

The Framework 13 itself with its precise measurements.

1 Like

Yes, 3d printing services. Industrial production, not home printers.

2 Likes

It appears that the cart may be getting ahead of the horse.

2 Likes

Keeping the dream alive :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With enough duck-tape, a 3d printer and some hillbilly engeneering everything can work XD

2 Likes

With chil

With childish behavior too. Feel free to leave if you are not interested.

1 Like

I am interested which is why I am here.

1 Like

@Frankie_Wild I don’t think @Adrian_Joachim Meant any offense although the use of autism could be seen as a pejorative even if it wasn’t intended that way. May I suggest that you edit your comment @Adrian_Joachim ?

1 Like

Definitely wasn’t, I see it as a positive to neutral term, edited, though I don’t really know any term that means quite the same.

2 Likes

No worries guys. It wasn’t about a word used but rather the general idea that we are not aiming for Thinkpad quality and not taking it seriously.

On a separate note I think the keyboard mod will not be allowed on the marketplace so everyone has to do it at his own will. It’s quite easy anyway. So the focus will be on the cases which can be sold on the marketplace with FW branding. The important part is that the chassis will be designed so that it can accommodate the desired keyboard mod. Mostly just increasing slightly x and z axis and using different materials.

I started this thread precisely because these brainstorming sessions make the idea clearer with each comment.

2 Likes

Hi,
there is already this topis with similar target:

I aim for old ThinkPad with AMD mainboard and custom keyboard, ideally with Kailh Choc switches. Trackpoint works fine with QMK firmware, I tried it. A suitable target is T410s or T410, last old ThinkPads with 16:10 displays. HiDPI 16:10 14" screen is available (B140QAN04). It can be connected using https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33046726903.html for now. Direct connection to mainboard may come later.

There is also solution for the power button: Input connector shim - for power switch, USB 2.0 and LEDs

Anybody interested to cooperate?

3 Likes

It’s the opposite way actually since you are stuck with custom old chassis. Each time probably a different one. In my case I want to stick to Framework direction and simply focus on different cases while being part of the ecosystem, relying on a steady flow of parts and a marketplace. It’s a guarantee for the future and a standard to stick to.

2 Likes

@Frankie_Wild have you set up a github repo or similar yet?

1 Like

Nope, basing it on @Captain_Pumpkinhead repository for the time being since I am not a CAD designer.

2 Likes

The similarity is in intention to use Framework mainboard outside of its original case. It will be great if there’s a thicker case available, I will definitelly follow the progress here.

3 Likes

I really hope they release the full case cad at some point to make custom printed cases a lot easier.

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool, but please keep in mind this model is far from finished. The basic dimensions for the bezel should be right, but it lacks any of the details on the backside (like slots for the magnets, the little tabs and such, etc). Everything else is in an even more primitive state.

5 Likes

Thanks, I had a consultation with a 3d printing company and it seems the only way to go for the time being is by simply buying the DIY version and 3d scanning it all. Do you think that would lead to same as original models?

1 Like