CPU Performance Governor

I am running kernel 5.14.9 and had the issue happen again with a different port.

Previously this only occurred on the left front expansion port, but this time it was the right front.

The sticker did not seem to be touching anything, but I removed it anyways as I did with the other sticker. So far so good with the 2 stickers removed.

1 Like

I wonder if these issues are connected?

I’ve installed powertop and have applied all of the basic tunables. My machine died in deep sleep while in my bad after 48 hours. This seems like the battery is really bad in the current config. I was getting 2 hours of runtime using Microsoft teams and chrome.

There has to be some settings here to tweak this. It’s also getting very hot on my lap, my macbook air last for 8-10 hours on the same workload. I want to get this to at least 6. I’m open for suggestions.

Sorry for resurecting an old thread… but seems to still be an issue on hardware shipped in 2022.

Dealing with some instability and issues with thunderbolt enclosures. I just cracked open my new Framework laptop, sure enough that shielding is way too close to that IC’s pins for the top left module port.

Ideally I think the shielding sticker is supposed to rest “on top of” the ic vs pressed up to the pins.

Before:

After:

Don’t trim away as much as I did… just a little cut (with scissors, not near the mainboard!) would be enough to help the (potential) issue. That shielding is definitely there for a reason.

I can confirm similar results.

sudo pacman -Syu throttled s-tui
# Downgrade psutil, see https://github.com/amanusk/s-tui/issues/180
sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/python-psutil-5.8.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
sudo systemctl enable --now lenovo_fix.service

Prior to enabling the lenovo_fix service, s-tui indicated I was getting about 1.6GHz at full utilization of all cores. After enabling, I see close to 3.7GHz.

[~]
∴ pacman -Q throttled python-psutil s-tui
throttled 0.9.2-2
python-psutil 5.8.0-4
s-tui 1.1.3-2
[~]
∴ uname -r
5.16.10-arch1-1

Thanks @Anthony_Powell for the tip!

For Arch, as usual, there is a great wiki page on the CPU Frequency Scaling. This also allowed be to control my CPU frequency. I think probably setting the governor this way is better than using throttled, which is essentially a python script that tries to stomp over specific settings every 5 seconds or so.

[~]
∴ powerprofilesctl
  performance:
    Driver:     intel_pstate
    Degraded:   no

balanced:

* power-saver:
[~]
∴ powerprofilesctl set balanced

Probably you want some automation to help select the profile depending on the situation. Again, the Arch wiki on Laptop Power Management is a great resource.