DAVE2D's video on a Framework 16 Engineering Sample

It’s also an engineering sample, so it’s missing a bunch of fit and finish that the final product has.

The most critical word here in @nrp’s reply is “has”, not “will have”: indicating final product is finished thing and shipping is soon

1 Like

Of the people who were lucky enough to get one to show in their YouTube channel, none were able to test the dGPU. One person (sorry, I forgot who - I’m bad with remembering people/names) said they had the dGPU but it had a fan issue and was only able to test for a few minutes before it got heat soaked. That was the closest we came with someone being able to experience and report on the 7700S experience.

Makes sense and I was wondering while writing before above. I think framework 16 notebooks are actually already shipping in Taiwan if I am not mistaken. So if the notebook is finished, then I assume remaining deep dives come after shipping which is totally fine and in line with the initial announcement of deep dives I think.

It was the Verge I think.

They are not shipping yet. And Taiwan opened up for orders a lot later so they would be in later batches.

They also glue the screen in…

1 Like

There’s more to that. The display has an entire glass layer going across it while on the Framework, it’s just the bezel.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarification! This video says “Framework is shipping in Taiwan” and I wasn’t sure if it is maybe actual shipping, and not just availability for ordering, given that they produce there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Byy15Tbm2Q

That’s the only reason why I got the Windows RGB keyboard instead of the Linux one (even though I get a windows key instead of a super key) even though I plan on using the laptop on Linux.

And if I wanted a 16 : 10 screen (or anything apart from 16 : 9) in a Linux laptop with an ANSI keyboard layout, then Framework was basically my only option. It became my only option if I wanted a dGPU with a 2560x1600 screen and an ANSI keyboard layout…

I hope the 16 inch laptops in batch 1 ship out soon! (I’m in batch 1 btw.)

1 Like

I just got the blank keyboard with rgb tbh

1 Like

I don’t really understand the blank keyboards. Do you intend to write put markings onto it yourself?

1 Like

If you learned proper ten-finger-typing you don’t need legends for letters and numbers. The only keys I would be worried about finding are special keys like page up/down, that I don’t use that often
And some people just don’t like the aesthetic of the lettering

5 Likes

I’m a software engineer, so I don’t look at the keyboard for typing. However, I have no idea how I’d make sure I’m hitting the correct function key, or whether an fn-toggle was needed, or which special key is bound to brightness, etc. Hitting alt-f4 and alt-f5 would have drastically different outcomes heh.

I was just curious is all.

2 Likes

That’s exactly why it isn’t for me either. Even if I am a perfect touch typist, I wouldn’t know where misc. Keys are😅

Oh, you’re not Niko xD. I missed that detail. Fair enough.

You can get decals. Either for every key or just the non-letter keys.
List of company or individually driven projects

Custom keyboard decals supporting Framework Custom Keyboard Stickers Builder | Keyshorts

2 Likes

At first I was going to laser etch very faint lettering, but mainly for the novelty now. If I had the patience to scan in a normal keyboard and re-create the template, I might still give it a shot. When I part with my 13 to move to the 16, it’ll need legible keys one way or another so the next user can actually use it.

I’ll clarify (heh), its blank-clear not blank-black

1 Like

Ah, I should’ve thought of that. That makes sense. I suppose it’s the next closest thing to custom keycaps on a laptop then.

As others have mentioned, touch typists will have a lot less need for prints on the keys. Personally I use a non-standard layout so the glyphs would actually be a hindrance for the few occasions I do look at the board.

Luckily for us weird-layout folk, the keyboards all support QMK, from the product page;

So we can flash our weird layouts and macros straight onto our FW16 keebs.

As a weird layout person, this doesn’t really help me at all. My weird layout is actually in the layout (split backspace being the biggest change), not what’s sent by various keys… I can always use a custom xkb file, but I can’t just make a one key into two. :frowning: