DDR200 on the Framework MicroSD Expansion Card

Many A2 MicroSD UHS-I cards support the UHS DDR200. Example of such a card are the Samsung Pro Plus and Pro Ultimate cards. This allows for up to nearly 200MB/s throughput on DDR200 from nearly 100MB/s throughput on SDR104.

On the original implementation of DDR200 from Sandisk, a DLL mechanism, like the one in eMMC HS400 is mandatory. So the card can start data signals whenever it wants, and the host should synchronize to the first DAT signal edge change. Every single other vendor that implemented DDR200, always starts data transfers aligned to clock. That basically makes DDR200 in such SD cards a SDR104 but sampled on both edges. So effectively, it’s an in-spec signal with DDR50, only that is clocked at 200MHz, instead of 50MHz. So the extra needed thing is using a tuning window, which is absent from the original implementation, since DDL syncing does not use that.

Given that SDR100 already functions and DDR200 uses the same clockspeed (200-208 Mhz) this should be possible on most readers.

I would like for this feature (DDR200) to be added to the framework MicroSD card reader as the switchroot group did for the tegra sdhci

The samsung microSD to USB readers commonly sold bundled with these cards also support samsung’s DDR200 implementation.

Hey @The_Official_GMan offtopic I guess, but do you know which SDXC chips (?) support DDR200? How can I find readers which support this?

@voltagex The samsung Pro Plus and Pro Ultimate SD cards are confirmed to support DDR200. The reader that samsung bundles with (some of) those officially also supported samsung’s implementation of DDR200.

The sandisk extreme A2 cards support DDR200 using sandisk’s original DDR200 implementation. A DLL mechanism is required for these cards otherwise they quickly drift and require frequent re-tuning. I can confirm that they work at DDR200 speed (using a driver without that DLL mechanism) which just results in frequent re-tuning and some stability issues. I do not know of any reader that is able to read these cards reliably, they do not work at DDR200 on the samsung reader. The sandisk SDDR-B531-GN6NN reader adversities read rates of up to 170MB/s over UHS-I so it must support DDR200 but I do not have any experience using it.

There are a LOT of other cards that advertise DDR200 support but I do not have experience with them. Any card that advertises either read or write performance exceeding 100MB/s and is a UHS-I card is a card that supports DDR200 via some reader.

1 Like