Debian: Graphics glitches when PSR disabled? Paradoxical?

Just got myself a 12th Gen Framework 13 and installed Debian unstable.

I started noticing graphics glitches in X11, specifically display freezing, the image on the screen jumping up and down and, when using redshift, random garbage briefly flashing on the screen, or briefly appearing in a narrow band at the top of the screen, when redshift was started or stopped.

I managed to replicate screen freezing by doing the following:

• Opening a terminal (I’m using XFCE, so XFCE terminal).
  • Moving the cursor around in circles using the trackpad.
  • A few seconds later, the cursor freezes, despite that I’m still moving my finger on the trackpad.
  • Pressing a key on the keyboard makes the screen come back to life. There is a slight vertical jump in the image before it stabilises again.

There seems to be a lot of discussion around disabling panel self-refresh (PSR), however doing sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_edp_psr_status revealed that PSR was disabled. When I turned it on, by passing i915.enable_psr=1 in the kernel command line (via GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub) and rebooted, the problem seemed to go away!

Admittedly I don’t know exactly how PSR is supposed to work under Linux/X11, but I would have imagined that freezing is something you’d see if things weren’t going right while PSR was turned on (e.g. if the display weren’t being refreshed properly), not something you’d see with it turned off!

Anyway, I’m happy that it appears to be working, but curious to hear if anyone has experienced the same issue (e.g. switching PSR on makes glitches go away, rather than switching PSR off to try to fix graphics issues).

I’m using kernel 6.1.0-7.

For anyone who’s interested, I first installed Debian stable, then upgraded to unstable. Debian stable seems to lack the proper WiFi drivers for the AX210 in the 1280P machine, so I used a USB Ethernet dongle. I had great difficulty getting the dongle to enumerate - it wouldn’t work with any of the Framework USB-A modules, but I managed to get it working via an external USB C docking station. I chalked this up to poor USB support in stable. Everything seems to work great in Debian unstable.

1 Like

I only have an 11th Gen. So I can’t help you with graphics.
But I have an idea what could have caused the AX210 problem. The AX210 needs firmware which is in the firmware-iwlwifi package. This package used to belong to the non-free section but was recently moved to the non-free-firmware section. So non-free-firmware must be added to /etc/apt/sources.list. Locate the line for the sid suit and append non-free-firmware separated with a space. You should then have a line like this (propably pointing to a different mirror):

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ sid main non-free contrib non-free-firmware

Then you can do

sudo apt update
sudo apt install firmware-iwlwifi

Hopefully wifi will work after a reboot.

1 Like