Disabling Flight Mode / Airplane Mode Function Key F10 - is it possible?

Hi all,

Proud new owner of a Framework 12th Gen here, with Windows 11. Very happy with the device, there’s nothing to say about my experience, because it’s been entirely trouble free and everything works as expected!

Except one thing - is there a way to disable the Flight Mode toggle that is bound to F10? I’ve tried PowerToys, and it seems to be one of few keys that can’t be detected (the others that can’t be detected being the brightness toggles).

Has anybody found a way to disable this Flight Mode / Airplane Mode button please? Is there some sort of hidden BIOS option somewhere please? :slight_smile:

JJ_JJ

Hi and welcome to the forum
There’s no BIOS option as far as I know.

So do you want to use the key for F10 and Flight mode slows you down?

I’m sure it is possible and pretty sure someone will be able to help :slight_smile:

Hi amoun!

Thank for the warm welcome!

No, I don’t need to use the key only for F10 by itself, and when I need to I’m fine with pressing [fn].

I’d ideally like to remap it to some other shortcut (yet to determine what I want that key to do), or disable the ‘Flight Mode/Airplane Mode’ toggle entirely if possible - I’ve found my muscle memory keeps hitting that key wrongly as my old laptop had a different function bound there! :smile:

JJ_JJ

1 Like

Do a bit of searching, I’m sure there’s something but others have sought the same :frowning:

Maybe not as easy as I though

1 Like

Yes, I stumbled on the same few pages, and one or two pages with similar challenges with the Flight Mode button specifically. :frowning: I was hoping it might have been me missing something with my weak Google-fu!

Thank you for your help though!

1 Like

I have found “a solution” to the Problem.
For me, I want to have Pos1, End, Page Up and Page Down on the top right.

so I created a AutoHotKey script that re-maps the keys.
no the problem is that the F10 alternate Fn function is directly forwarded to the Bios making it impossible to easily remap. BUT its possible to remap F10

So here my dumd/genius Idea: completely inverse all F and Fn keys.
For example F1 maps to Volume Down and Volume Down Maps to F1.
Then use fn lock to inverse Fn key behaviour.

its not completely perfect as you need to use Fn to change screen brightness but it works

if you are like me and almost never use F-Keys, this might be a solution.

here my AutoHotKey Script:

#Persistent
#InstallKeybdHook

; KeyHistory

+F12::KeyHistory ; Press Shift + F12 to display the key history window

; Invert Fn Keys to F-keys
Volume_Mute::F1 ; F1
Volume_Down::F2 ; F2
Volume_Up::F3 ; F3
Media_Prev::F4 ; F4
Media_Play_Pause::F5 ; F5
Media_Next::F6 ; F6
; F7 
; F8
LWin::Return ; F9
; F10 (Flight Mode button has no key code)
PrintScreen::Home ; F11
Launch_Media::End ; F12

; Map Fn Key onto F-keys
F1::Volume_Mute
F2::Volume_Down
F3::Volume_Up
F4::Media_Prev
F5::Media_Play_Pause
F6::Media_Next
F7::F7
F8::F8
F9::Home