Disappointing response from Support

My DIY 11th laptop has developed a fault on the left hand loudspeaker after a lot of test and questions (which I am happy to do) support is going to send a new set of loudspeaker’s. So I asked if I can have the 80db ones as they are the same price, to which I was told no.

“Unfortunately, we do not ship the new 80db speakers with the DIY Laptops. The new 80db speakers are only available in the Marketplace as a separate item”

I find this inflexible response very disappointing, its not as if I am trying to take advantage of them.

Not disappointing, you get what you originally had.

5 Likes

Well you answered it yourself, you want them to be flexible to your desire, that is taking advantage that you are an existing customer, that’s emotional exploitation.

Financially the setup of sending new items comes from logistics and other economic factors. Although the end user price may be the same that does not mean the cost of production and delivery are.

But I do understand the disappointment.

You may think it’s only a matter of reaching into a small box to place in an envelope, but no doubt it is more than that.

And I’m sure that applies to the pre-built options as well as the DIY…

Similarly someone could ask for an upgraded duff 1185 main board. The 1185 is the same price as the 1260 and I doubt they would swap that either etc.

I think Josh_Cook put it more bluntly. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I read your response with interest and would like to make a number of points.

emotional exploitation is a term I would not use with a profit making company maybe to my Mum but not to a business as my Mum would go out of her way to make me happy but a business is about making money.

From my experience of working in manufacturing I would say that if the selling price is £19 the cost to Framwork from the manufacture is less than 30% of the selling price, R&D would be a cost of running the business and staying competitive. As to delivery costs I think this is one of Framwork’s biggest problems; see all the comments on this site about delivery cost to the UK!

No I would say its a case of ticking a box on a electronic form (a modern dispatch system is highly automated). But I feel that I am being sent the low powered speakers to clear old stock.

True not if they have old stock left, if the 1260 board is backwardly compatible to the 1185 its cheaper not to re-manufacture obsolete part but to move forward and supply the new version.

Amoud I write this light-heartedly with no offence intended :slight_smile:

1 Like

No offence intended or taken, and I understand your responses, but I see things differently and will leave us at this point.

All the best and yes Framework’s response is not very endearing, a business ethics of some questionable takes.

Thats strange because when i tried to buy one i the marketplace i got that message:
“Sorry, we don’t have enough of the item: Speaker Kit - 80dB at our US warehouse. Try combining the item with a laptop order or removing it from your cart to proceed to checkout.”
Its the almost the opposite of the support answer.

1 Like

@Rwurdig You are US based and OP is UK based. Different warehouses.

1 Like

Warranty replacements are always like for like. We do not allow product changes, even for additional payment. In rare circumstances, we may swap for a different SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) but only if there is no LoS (Line of Sight) to incoming inventory that matches the part under warranty.

11 Likes

@GhostLegion i was just pointing out the fact that the OP received the answer "“Unfortunately, we do not ship the new 80db speakers with the DIY Laptops. The new 80db speakers are only available in the Marketplace as a separate item”

And i receive an oposite response, “Sorry, we don’t have enough of the item: Speaker Kit - 80dB at our US warehouse. Try combining the item with a laptop order or removing it from your cart to proceed to checkout.”
It just seemed strange for me since i would assume they use the same rule in all warehouses, but it was just a comment, nothing more.

1 Like

If you combine items with a laptop order, you would still get the standard speakers installed by default. You would have to install the 80db speakers yourself, and retain the originals as backup or spare parts.

Still not the same as a custom build process where the computer was sent out with 80db speakers installed by the factory.

1 Like

I absolutely agree this messaging is wonky. Our current system is complicated as we use multiple warehouses depending on what item is ordered. For example:

• All 12th Gen Intel Core Laptops are shipped from Taiwan, regardless of customer geographic location

• Remaining 11th Gen Intel Core Laptops are shipped from their respective geographically assigned warehouse (EU/AU = Taiwan, US/CA = United States)

• Marketplace items are shipped from their respective geographically assigned warehouse (EU/AU = Taiwan, US/CA = United States), however, if you order a Marketplace Item AND a 12th Gen Intel Core Laptop, both types of items will ship from Taiwan

There’s really no easy way to communicate this in short form automated error messaging, and we apologize for any confusion caused.

8 Likes

It doesn’t take much to work that out if people can be bothered to read more of the forum. I’m not sure which is the more powerful emotion, sadness for the OP or annoyance that so many times people complain before they think a bit about what they are asking.

But youth has it’s momentum . . . that got me to where I am.

That’s an increasing problem with business. Each automation could have a

" This is a robot that doesn’t really understand your situation so if you are not happy with the response please try, try and try again . . . you are unlikely to tire the dumb AI. Have a pleasant day"