Dock Compatibility (AMD) - USB-C / Thunderbolt

Appreciate the discussion here. Currently eyeing the lenovo 40AS as my docking station of choice, though the HP gen5/gen2 dock is tempting as well. Has anyonw by chance heard something about the HP one? I read that at least displaylink is hit or miss on linux

I’m still having issues with a Caldigit TS3 working with 2 1440p monitors and the ethernet jack. A single monitor works fine though…

PopOS 22.04
6.5.6-76060506-generic

It worked well on my 1165g7 FW.

I have the HP thunderbolt G2 120W dock.
It works fine in windows at 60hz but it is hit or miss in Linux. Sometimes the monitor displays output sometimes it doesn’t but it is always detected in fedora as being present, fedora also shows me refresh rates that are not valid for the monitor.
Both windows and linux cannot display at 164hz. Windows give visual corruption, linux gives a blank screen.

i assume you are on bios 3.03? and you have everything connected before boot? for me hot-plugging the second display through displayport did not work.

i just looked up the caldigit ts3 (plus), and that only appears to have one displayport port. how are your monitors connected?

I have a CalDigit TS4 and everything works fine, including 4k@144hz (AMD Ryzen, 3.03 BIOS, Fedora 39). The only thing which does not work is booting and shutting down while connected, because the OS will hang forever. This means I have to unplug my Framework from the dock, boot to Desktop and only then connect.

Can you please test [Patch v2] thunderbolt: Add quirk to reset downstream port - Sanath S to see if it helps your issue?

1 Like

As I had a similar issue on a 6800u based Laptop, how would I go about testing this? Compile a custom kernel? If there is some documentation somewhere around this, a simple pointer would also be very much appreciated :slight_smile:

Yeah assuming it’s the same issue it should help any Rembrandt or Phoenix laptops. This isn’t the final version of the patch, it will respin one more time but it is good enough to confirm it’s the same root cause.

Yeah custom kernel.

Here’s a good starter on it.

A Guide to Compiling the Linux Kernel All By Yourself (itsfoss.com)

So my company gave me a HP thunderbolt dock G4 for homeoffice use and it works just fine so far including hotplugging on arch linux. Running one 2K@144Hz Monitor / ethernet / keyboard connected. Did not have to install anything specific.

1 Like

Is this (or any other patch floating about LKML) also likely to help with the flakiness of monitors connected through Thunderbolt docks?

In my case, a HP 27" 4K monitor connected through HDMI to this dock:

[  +0.336022] thunderbolt 1-2: new device found, vendor=0x1b device=0xa
[  +0.000005] thunderbolt 1-2: Kensington Thunderbolt 4 Docking Station

does not work on the AMD Framework. Same dock/monitor/cable combo works with an Intel Framework and a M1 Mac.

(Edit: On the AMD machine, the monitor is “detected” but only as a 640x480, without an EDID it seems)

It does work with the AMD (using it right now) connected via a HDMI extension card.

I’d be happy to test drive patches that could help with this.

The patch will only help coldboot issues with something plugged in. If you have problems with a hot plug it wouldn’t do anything.

Suggest you to open a bug in AMD gitlab for your issue.

Does your dock support firmware updates? The HP dock I have had to be updated (on a windows PC, sadly) to stop the flakiness.

The (lack of) functionality/EDID is universal, cold boot, reboot, cold or hotplug, so I think I’ll open a new issue to track.

Without Windows to run Kensington’s accompanying software and with no access to the Mac any more, I don’t really have a way to find out. It also doesn’t show up on fwupdmgr get-deivices and there’s no firmware version shown in its boltctl output either.

$ boltctl info acd38780-0078-0160-ffff-ffffffffffff
 ● Kensington Thunderbolt 4 Docking Station
   ├─ type:          peripheral
   ├─ name:          Thunderbolt 4 Docking Station
   ├─ vendor:        Kensington
   ├─ uuid:          acd38780-0078-0160-ffff-ffffffffffff
   ├─ dbus path:     /org/freedesktop/bolt/devices/acd38780_0078_0160_ffff_ffffffffffff
   ├─ generation:    USB4
   ├─ status:        authorized
   │  ├─ domain:     a3f73804-d1db-6f64-ffff-ffffffffffff
   │  ├─ parent:     a3f73804-d1db-6f64-ffff-ffffffffffff
   │  ├─ syspath:    /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.3/0000:c3:00.6/domain1/1-0/1-2
   │  ├─ rx speed:   40 Gb/s = 2 lanes * 20 Gb/s
   │  ├─ tx speed:   40 Gb/s = 2 lanes * 20 Gb/s
   │  └─ authflags:  boot
   ├─ authorized:    Tue 12 Dec 2023 09:36:12 PM UTC
   ├─ connected:     Tue 12 Dec 2023 09:36:12 PM UTC
   └─ stored:        Wed 15 Nov 2023 02:47:22 AM UTC
      ├─ policy:     iommu
      └─ key:        no

Miffed that I picked this ~ 1 year ago over other, LVFS-supported, options, because at the time they were reported to have issues with M1 Macs, but oh well that’s the hardware I have.

Looks like there may be some HP docks that support firmware updates via the LVFS as well: LVFS: USB-C/A Universal G2
Now that I’ve replaced the broken screen on my 7840U FW13, I’ll get to testing various hubs and docks I have laying around from past employers later today.

Thanks for the link!

I’m moving towards the Linux world and being able to check the database of supported hardware of LVFS I think will inform my future purchasing decisions.

It’s unrelated to framework but is there anything we can do to encourage more suppliers to make their firmware available through LVFS? I was looking at Kensington docks but given the lack of LVFS is giving me pause for concern.

1 Like

Interesting, my G4 is listed as well. I think I’m on 1.4.18 and there is an update to x.20 available so will give it a try…

Mainly contacting and letting them know through their main contact channels, or perhaps starting polls on social media to show them the interest is there?

1 Like

Did it run smoothly? Did you have to restart after using fwupdmgr to see the new firmware or did it just upgrade fine?

I’ve massive problems playing videos in Firefox and Chrome on Windows 11 while the Framework 13 AMD is docked. Both browsers are crashing while playing videos on Youtube, Instagram and several other websites. Without the docks, I don’t experience this problems.

I’m using a Lenovo USB-C Dock Gen2 (40AS) and also a Lenovo Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock (40B0).
Always using the newest AMD drivers.

Does anyone else experience this problems?

Hello @Mathias

I have a similar dock USB-C Thinkpad Gen 2 I will test soon and let you know.

But the best to pinpoint issues is to have :

• Distro :
  • Kernel version :
  • Mesa drivers :
  • DE or WM (desktop Env/Windows Manager) Gnome or others
  • BIOS version
  • Where is the USB-C expansion card ? On the FW 13 laptop ? (Front or back ?)

Finally, the reproducer is just watching youtube on Firefox ? Are they any logs inside the dmesg ? Any errors about the freeze ?

Edit : Sorry you’re on Windows 11 :sweat_smile:, still will try to reproduce the issue on Linux.