Docks and keyboards

I had an interesting couple of thought so I thought I’d lay it out if only to get them out of my head.

I know a lot of people have had some degree of luck with external docks but I’m a little nervous to spend ~$300 or more given it wasn’t guaranteed to work. I wondered about the possibility of a dock built by Framework. I have one at work and digging around the office for compatible video cables made me think about how easy it would have been if I could just drop expansion cards for what cables I have and move on with my day. Let along a dock that I can slide a storage card into.

Then I thought about how nice the keyboard is. It would be interesting to see if you could release a stand alone keyboard that used the existing laptop keyboard components. Maybe with the ability to support a subset of expansion cards (maybe not video but storage).

Bringing the concept of expansion cards over to a docking station is actually a great idea! I’d definitely be in the market for that.

Maybe you should repost your idea over at this thread.

Looking to find an affordable dual display USB-C dock myself right now. Ended up with this one here for now. But just got it yesterday, so no real recommendation:
Anker PowerExpand 8-in-1 USB-C Adapter
(Be carefull, there are multiple Anker 8-in-1 hubs. Not all have dual display out.)

Due to the marketplace not being open in Europe I purchased a cheap 9 in 1 hub that fitted my needs and to tied me over till I can purchase more expansion cards, got it from Amazon Uk cost was £37 Link tested all the functions and it works great but it a pity about the company name “ABIWAZY” :joy::joy::joy: