Dual USB-C Expansion Card

I second that. If you want PD, you’re better off using a powerbank or a USB power supply nowadays.

1 Like

I’d say screw pd in this case. Having pd would require power muxing and a buck converter for the second port which is going to be tricky to fit and probably relatively power-hungry for very little gain.

1 Like

As of right now, how much do you expect it to cost for the parts, assembly, and shipping?

Do you have any plans for a 3d-printed metal case?

Excuse me, where can I get affordable metal 3D prints? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m ready to buy… anytime. :slight_smile:

For real, I have a use case for this already and would like to compensate you for all your engineering and development.

1 Like

Similarly, without wanting to make this a thread of people repeating the same things, I’d be interested in purchasing one of these with its current features.

When I find myself short of type C ports, it is usually because I’m plugging in more low-speed, often short-term uses, things like hardware keys, transmitters for presenters, wired keyboards/mice, simple audio interfaces, etc. These don’t need more than standard 5V/1.5A, and don’t need more than 3.1gen1. Having one of these expansions would mean that those devices wouldn’t need to take up the fully-featured ports.

2 Likes

Maybe here, depending on what affordable means for you?
JLCPCB

1 Like

I’d love to buy some of these! Don’t need PD, or anything else, just USB 3.1 gen1, that’s it, that would be fantastic!

1 Like

I did just order a few very simple USB-PD chips to experiment with. It could be implemented with very few components (like the IC and two resistors for minimum configuration), also it’s quite small and fits into the unpopulated area on the daugther-board, so the FW handles the 3A over to the hub, instead of the default 1.5A (thanks @Josh_Cook for pointing that out :blush:), which could be a bit low for connecting two devices).
The chip will only negotiate the 5V/3A from the laptop to the hub, so still no charging option.
I also did fix an error in the schematics of the main board (the supply for active cables was incorrectly wired).
I’m getting a few bucks tax-money back this or next month, I’ll probably invest that in a few assembled boards once I did iron out things and got the PD-thing running.

19 Likes

The dev-boards for the PD-controller I designed and ordered are here :blush:. It works fine convincing the framework to handle over 3A with the PD controller. For the next revision I’ll add the PD chip on the daughter board :blush:.

That’s how these simple boards look like:

The chip in the center is the one handling the PD (it’s a HUSB238, in case someone is interested in details).
I assembled three different configurations, the framework only can handle 5V but I wanted to try some other voltages for using them with USB-PD supplies. The other two are 9V/2A (that’s what for example iPad chargers use) and 15V/3A.
It’s quite simple to use the chip, it is programmed by two resistors that set the voltage and current it should request. There can also be programmed some more advanced things like fallback voltages and stuff by an external interface to a microcontroller, haven’t tried that yet tho (the white connector is for an I2C bus).

12 Likes

Might be a stupid question but how are you fitting everything with the PD board into an expansion card shell?

He only needs to fit one black chip and two resistors.

1 Like

Awesome what max wattage would it support?

And a P-channel MOSFET… I checked the datasheet … a pretty cool chip … The MOSFET also needs an additional 2 resistors … lol But an impressive feat non the less…

I would think you only need a MOSFET if you have need for overload protection. But the laptop should already have that upstream.

2 Likes

I am just going with what is layed out on the typical application from the datasheet and Adafruit’s board

1 Like

But it depends on what you need. Here, you only need the HUSB238 to request USB-PD 5v 3A. So that the upstream chip doesn’t trip any overload protection before 3A.

After I would get a Framework laptop (I would like to order a 16 after it comes out), I would order a double USB-C expansion card. Keep up the good work, @tbe !

5 Likes

Just here to show my support :slight_smile:

6 Likes