Dual USB-C Expansion Card

@Josh_Cook

Die you manage to do something with this project?. I’m kind of invested because I want a vertical dock like the brydge macos/surface docks for a clean desk environment.

Basically I’d want this module and a compatible dock so I have a 0 visible cable desk.

1 Like

Hi, not sure if this has brought up before, but I don’t see why we can’t have at least one of our modules splitting the original usb-c into two usb-c ports. There’s enough space to do so! Not sure technically speaking how that might affect charging, but even then, it could be an option for other connections and gaining an extra port in the process.

1 Like

From what I understand it is difficult to fit a breakout board in the module. It might also be difficult to fit two cables side by side, although I might misremember that from the suggestion to fit a USB A and C on a single card.

1 Like

@kippie_koppie No problem fitting two C-s side-by-side, the remark you read was about fitting two A-s.

1 Like

The issue with dual C is the electronics required to enable charging on either port without backfeeding power out the other and the size of the resultant pcb.

The issue with dual A is the physical size of two A ports side by side.

3 Likes

@Peter_Schofield I don’t think that it should be a hard requirement to be able to charge through either of these twin ports (we can use an original single-USB-C extension card for that, on a different slot). So this removes a constraint, and there shouldn’t be the problem you mention if they are used for less power-hungry applications than charging the laptop.

1 Like

The people at frame work did try doing a Dual C card and there wasn’t enough space for the controller etc that was required.
I believe they wanted too if they could.

@agentcrm Ok I understand the challenge, and that they couldn’t do it within the constraints they had, but I also firmly believe that a big part of these constraints is driven by costs, and that it is still “physically possible” although maybe for a price they don’t want their customers to bear… (e.g. they would have to make their own ASICs etc)

I must say that after using the Framework for several months I would rather replace two card slots with 4 fixed USB-C ports in a future revision of the Framework chassis. See Idea: Add 4 fixed USB-C connectors in place of 2 Expansion Card bays - Creators & Developers - Framework Community

5 Likes

I would definitely buy a few of these modules.

I just found this USB C splitter on amazon. It seems to be able to fit the dimensions of the expansion cards. The amazon page claims 24.3 x 26.7 x 6.3 mm. It has female ports on all sides so it will need a change on the one going it to the motherboard at least.
There is also one with the same dimensions using dual USB A. Im only allowed one link due to being a fresh account, but if you type “usb c splitter YACSEJAO” into amazon you will find it.

I will be buying a framework laptop soon, and am very interested in seeing a future dual USB C and/or USB A expansion card.

Disclaimer: I have not bought it, it seems a bit sketchy tbh, has some bad reviews too, and I honestly don’t know enough about the tech to tell you if its any good. Just hoping to add to the discussion for modders and those who are more experienced.

Definitely violates the USB spec, but if it works its a decent solution to have an extra port for charging

3 Likes

The link you posted @MII looks cool, but do make sure to read the last point on the listing:

Only one of the adapter’s two ports can be used for data transfer and charging, and the other is only used for charging.

I founnd a similar item on AliExpress that also has the same drawback of only 1 port for data, and the other supply’s 5v out.
Allthough it has a male usb C on the one side:
https://aliexpress.com/item/1005003548000023.html

Not sure that i would dare use it though.

3 Likes

This aliexpress USB C splter is awsome.Thks for sharing.
Just ordered one for 2€ !
It looks like it will fite. But will be 10mm inside the case. Wich is not bad… and muuuch better than outside !

WHat would be nice is to make a case for this 2€ aliexpress module to hold it on the sides to the FW laptop tray.

EDIT: if the norm is not thunderbolt its fine for lots of usages. I have a usb C microphone and a webcam in USB C I expect them to work on one of the 2 USB C connectors. I can charge my laptop and have the mic on the same port I guess.
Better than spending 50€ with shipment for a second usb c connector

I guarantee that will only have either usb2 or usb3 connected. Would not trust it.

@Iann_C Notice that the 2€ splitter from AliExpress only has data on 1 of the 2 ports.
The other is power.
You will not be able to use 2 things on the same port. and probably not even charge the laptop with it.
It will however possibly let you connect a microphone, or camera, or other data device to one port, and charge your phone or something from the other.

People buy a 2000€ laptop but the usb c adapter has to cost 2€?

I wouldnt trust that thing, or most other products from aliexpress for whats worth, to not totally kill my laptop within days.

Do you trust these devices to have endured stress testing and have a good quality control in production?

3 Likes

Just be careful with these splitters, if they manage to work and the laptop can get its 20V from the power supply, the other port is also at 20V on VBUS (which will kill most things instantly).

3 Likes

Even if it’s just USB2, it’s quite helpful to connect the mouse and some low speed extra thing (E.g. a HDD) onto the same port of the laptop.

3 Likes

I would be interested in double USB c and USB a if possible knowing the limitations. People can better determine and spec it out without needing to carry USB hubs.

3 Likes