ECC support?

Me after reading the thread:

As for the topic, the only related information I could find was this:

Thanks everyone for the information; I guess for the Framework Laptop 16 we still have to wait, but like @Mark_K and @lhl wrote I think having ECC support turns the Framework Laptops into must-buys as well… especially for the potential of being upcycled into something useful long after the motherboard+cpu underperform compared to their contemporaries in 3 - 7 years.

That said, I also didn’t see any mention of ECC support for the Framework Laptop 13?

There was this thread regarding that: Will the new AMD boards support ECC RAM? - Framework Laptop 13 - Framework Community – I would assume that the Framework Laptop 13 is not under information embargo?

1 Like

It is, actually. The AMD 7040 CPUs have not been officially released, so Framework can’t release specifics right now.

8 Likes

I have an AM5 socket with ECC and nvidia gpu with ECC.

Really happy with my framework laptop.

I want ECC on a Framework 16. !!!

3 Likes

Plus one for ecc, please at lest run the extra traces so you can enable it later if you don’t want to make it available right away.

5 Likes

Plus one from me too. I’d be happy even if it was only available on a single higher tier main board.

1 Like

Nooo please no unnecessary segmentation, plus pretty sure all the amd boards are going to be the same with just a different soc, otherwise they are making themselves more work than necessary.

3 Likes

Typically, you would want to minimize the parts’ variance…in this case, the PCB, for a particular generation of CPU. The pins on the CPU (of a given generation) don’t change between CPU SKUs…it’s up to the processor to report what it’s capable of. e.g. Whether the processor support ECC or not…instead of being determined by the traces on the PCB. (memory controller these days are on the CPU die…integrated memory controller)

I could see the 16 having different features from the 13. It has to be a different board design regardless.

Looking forward to the embargo lifting!

According to this AMD spec sheet for The Ryzen 7040 series ECC is supported:

ECC Support: Yes (FP7r2 only; Requires platform support)

Please Frame.work make the platform support happen! :smiley:

8 Likes

Definitely a nice feature to offer.

wow that would be awesome

+1 for ECC suppory, big one.

Specially because old motherboards can be reused as servers. Honestly, it is insane that there is still non ECC RAM being sold.

9 Likes

Yes! Please, make ECC possible! Having a long uptime system is such a big thing! And being able to turn the old framework into a server is also such a great reuse of resources! I was considering to make my old mainboard into a server in the future, but soon enough, I realised that it doesn’t have ECC support, so in a way this is a dealbreaker too

1 Like

I do agree with @Name2

I would want to turn old frame work motherboards in Bitcoin fullnodes. Add a M2 datacenter M2 and ECC RAM in order to run a Lightning Node too.

Correct me if Im wrong, but doesn’t DDR5 have a decent amount of crossover natively, with the featureset of ECC? Something about moving the controller onto the dimm making it capable of error correcting.

DDR5 has on chip ecc (apparently required to make it work at all), that isn’t the same as regular ecc because errors in transmission between the memory and the cpu are not noticed. Also the on chip ecc isn’t going to tell you if it had a recoverable or unrecoverable error.

4 Likes

+1 for ECC.
Bit flips do happen, and they are silent errors without ECC.
I have seen bit flips happen silently, and only Linux “btrfs scrub” spotted them.

3 Likes

I’d like ECC options also

2 Likes

So now we do know the AMD 7840 does support ECC (depending on the platform). I’m curious is this something Framework has implemented?

If not supported, can I still use ECC ram on a non-ECC board? I’m fine without the feature, I just found a 32GB set with good speed and latency for a great price, but it unfortunately has ECC on it…

5 Likes