ECC support?

@TheTwistgibber
Any news on the ECC matter? I might have missed a post.
ECC would also be nice to make a compact, self contained (battery) 1U mini server.

10 Likes

Any news on official ECC support TheTwistgibber?

I see that there are more specs online now for the Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series), so I searched the specs page for “ECC” and didn’t find anything, which is a bit concerning to say the least.

2 Likes

I can’t find anything talking about ECC memory support in relation to framework. Just people asking about it or trying to make sure that Ryzen is enabled. I am mainly planning to go Ryzen for the 16 inch but I would like to know if ECC has been supported in the past to get an indicator of whether or not Framework cares about it. My current laptop has been on for 3 years with ~99% availability. Because it has been on for that long regularly my OS is slightly corrupted. Luckily it only has to do with sleep/wake which can be very annoying at times but not terrible. I don’t want to be dealing with that on a new laptop. If anyone knows or has tested it please let me know. And for the love of God stop talking about ECC memory being supported because it is DDR5. It is not the same as actual ECC that anyone is ever referring to.

4 Likes

Intel only supports ECC on a subset of their consumer processors, and I don’t believe any of their mobile processors support it. (I was wrong - some of the H-class chips apparently do)
I also believe in Intel’s case that ECC support requires both chipset and processor support (subset of both) so I don’t believe any existing Framework has had support for it. Maybe the Ryzen laptops will do so, but we’ll probably have to see if the support is enabled in the firmware.

If the 16 supports ECC, I’m in!

Otherwise…. I’ll wait for a model that does.

3 Likes

I also would very much like to know the level of ECC support for Amd CPUs fron frame.work. As the CPUs are launched for a while, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON not to state the details on ECC support NOW

THANKS

5 Likes

I definitely support the idea of using ECC.
Hosting my own internet services @ home for almost 30 years now, I never had such stable system (especially when having more than 8GByte of Ram) then since I have an AMD Ryzen Embedded V2748 server using ECC ram. The more ram, the more the probability of a bit flip.

I had identified issues with the first batch of RAM that I sent back in a week. It didn’t correct it, but at least I got the message that something was wrong!
On old installations without ECC, I sometimes spent month replacing each part until the system was stable - after changing the memory. So yes - please! Add the ECC option!

4 Likes

@Framework Team: Can you please state whether or not ECC is supported on the framework 13 AMD Notebook already? I mean that is in production, so it should really be possible to at least answer that.

Thanks, Martin

3 Likes

Even though it’s off topic for the thread, I’ll answer for the Framework 13:

As stated by AMD here, the Ryzen 7640U/7840U only supports ECC with FP7r2 type memory, not LPDDR5/x which is FP7/FP8.

1 Like

Am I reading something wrong here but how does that answer anything?

We are not getting LPDDR so we still know as much as we did when this question was first asked, the platform theoretically can support it (if wired up and configured right), is that the case in the 13?

1 Like

I have never seen any SO-DIMM in LPDDR format - so it does not really matter TBH.
If the motherboard chipset supports it, they can add ECC support for the AMD CPU’s ;} Which I hope they will do.
Also check: LPDDR5 or DDR5, which RAM is better for your laptop? - GEARRICE

I consider the question still open for bothe the AMD 13 AND 16.

We all know, the CPU does support some ECC features but it all depends on what the chipset, motherboard and Uefi-Firmware actually implement.

While the 16 variant is still sketchy, ALL THIS MUST BE KNOWN FOR THE AMD 13 and actually should be described in detail in the official documentation.

Thanks, Martin

It doesn’t directly. But as far as I’m aware, that’ll be the answer until we get closer to Batch 1 shipping. The mainboard is still in development and things are subject to change, even at short notice. But you’ve said it right there, it’s possible but it’s dependent on a lot of factors. I’m sure they’re doing what they can to best suit our needs within reason.

Exactly, so there’s hope but I wouldn’t hold my breath. I would love to see it happen but if it’s impractical for whatever reason/s, so be it :man_shrugging:

Take a breath. Yes, I too would love full info release for the AMD 13 (as I’ve already pre-ordered one), I understand that above all else Framework wants to dot their Is and cross their Ts before committing to such a thing. But just because they know something internally, that doesn’t mean they’re ready to release such information to the public (for potentially many reasons). I implore patience while they finish polishing what I presume will be a cracker of a laptop, as we are getting very close to Batch 1 shipping.

2 Likes

basically ack, but then I would have expected somebody from frame.work to enter a link here where eventually the information will be visible.

Reminder to you and everyone else in this thread, that this is a user forum. While members of the team have responded to threads here in the past, they are not obligated to. If you would like an official response from the company please send a message to support to ensure that they see your question, it may not be seen here (even if you try mentioning the team).

4 Likes

asked support now, let us wait for the answer.

2 Likes

I’ll just… Put this here. MTC20C2085S1TC48BA1R

1 Like

Considering how much time most memory contents would spend in memory as opposed to in transit, I’d think that this is a relatively small subsection though. Just food for thought.

Considering how insane the ddr5 signaling rates are transit is a very turbulent time for the data (especially on the at this pretty long traces using sodimms requires) so the simple it spends most time doing it isn’t that good an argument. ddr5 is also very sensitive to the connection quality so if you seated your ram sticks imperfectly or got soo much skin oil on the contacts there will be a lot of transmission errors and troubleshooting that is just not fun for anyone involved. If you had ecc at least your os would know something is up.

People spend a very small fraction of their total time skiing but still get injured skiing a lot.

But all of that is besides the point, the chip supports it so please make it available.

1 Like

2 sticks of ECC would be Glorious!