eGPU performance issues

Hi,
I have just purchased a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 and the Sonnet 550 eGFX breakaway box.
I am experience really bad performance form this eGPU when connected to my frameworks laptop. In fact the performance of this eGPU is worse than the internal graphics card, which whould not be the case. All my NVIDIA drivers are up to date and their customer support said to get in touch with my laptop manufacturer.
Here are the details about my machine:
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)

I am just wondering if anyone out there has any advide about what the root of this issue might be and how to resolve it?

Thanks!

What are you running that is preforming worse than the onboard?

Doing some 3d animation with Max Msp. My eGPU performs worse than the internal graphics when comparing the respective 3D sections in Task Manager, when it should be performing far far better.

Can you explain that further? Task manager doesn’t typically measure performance, so I’m not sure what this means.

What problems are you seeing in Max MSP?

My appologies let me try to be clearer. When I select the eGPU in the task manager performance tab, one of the monitors is labelled “3D”. When this gets to 100% I start to drop frames in my GL animation in Max MSP. Currently, it gets to 100% while calculating a relatively modest amount of vertices (512x512). In fact, on this metric, it is currently performing worse than when I switch to use the Internal GPU in Max Msp instead. Even with expected performance loss due to using an eGPU rather than connecting direct to the motherboard, this should not be the case.

Does anyone more experienced than me have any advice?

Thanks!

Is there anyway you can verify that the application is not just running “single core” on the iGPU and when a CUDA device is connected it’s just able to use all of the “3D” cores? I only ask because I suspect the GL animations makes more efficient use of parallel CUDA calculations in the NVIDIA card rather than ZLUDA or whatever translation layer the iGPU is using that might be a hard bottleneck for performance.

I also wonder if you have a monitor hooked to the eGPU? Forcing your signal to come back through to the laptop screen is going to cut your bandwidth in half from my understanding. Still I’d think it’d be better than the iGPU

1 Like

While there are many people on the forum that will be happy to help you, please also remember that this is a user forum, and that if you want to talk to the company, it’s best to send a message to support.

1 Like