Enabling software longevity

@James_Rome and @Aaron_Baff , thanks for the suggestion! We have shared the release dates for BIOS and Driver Packages here and we will be updating the Knowledge Base Articles soon.

1 Like

You are able to download the whole bundle, then unzip the exe to access the separate driver updates. It’s still downloading all of them, but that does keep it simple for Framework to just upload one packaged file.

2 Likes

Has the download link for the 3.08 bios not been updated on the page yet?

the download page still links to what seems to the the beta version:
https://downloads.frame.work/bios/Framework_Laptop_12th_Gen_Intel_Core_BIOS__3.08b.msi

the bios posts elsewhere link to:
https://downloads.frame.work/bios/Framework_Laptop_12th_Gen_Intel_Core_BIOS__3.08.msi

The intel platform never had that specific set of problems.

Having an actual team for it is definitely a pretty good start, now we’ll have to wait and see what they actually do.

1 Like

Not a beta version (depending how you look at it). B is newer and includes a fix more in the installer. The update itself is identical.

One of the errors Framework made in rushing the 3.08 “release”. Because they first linked the older, buggier version, because it seems they did not actually look at the feedback since January. That is why I asked for an explanation of that above.

Googled “Frame Work Drivers”

Got to this site first clicked this link which led me to the download site.

EDIT: The problem is the setting to German. On the German site there is very old data :cowboy_hat_face:

Ah, supporting delivery to Poland is a dream come true, even though I have already ordered my Framework laptop 16 to the friend from Germany. I wonder if I could use Polish address in case of any problems/warranty issues later on?

1 Like

Yes, you can use your Polish address as warranty is transferrable between individuals and supported regions.

2 Likes

It should be updated, can you please check it again? (might not be up to date if you are not checking the English version, I believe we have not updated the translated versions yet)

1 Like

I read that post as the official release (knowledge-base) page saying “3.08”, but linking to an executable called 3.08b, while the forum thread for the release still links to the “3.08” (non-b) executable.
And that caused confusion. And leads to some people assuming the “b” is there for beta or sth.

So I think they already saw the current state that Framework intended. It is just somewhat chaotic for people that look a little bit deeper into it.

1 Like

Thanks for flagging, this is related to the speed at which the translations are propagating through, and we should see all the non-US variant pages populate with the proper versions within 24hrs. If not, please let me know!

4 Likes

Could we get a little clarification on what we’re talking about here? Is this improvements to the EFI updater, or do we still have some hope of a working LVFS update for the 12th gen?

This matters. There’s a standard way to deploy firmware updates on Linux computers now, and it’s LVFS. Everything else basically means you’re going to miss a lot of users who will not come here or in some dark corner of the knowledge base frantically reloading pages to see if, by chance, one year in the future, some BIOS upgrade will pop out.

If you’re lucky, they have automated upgrades configured in their distribution. If you’re luckier, they also have automated firmware upgrades. So there’s just no way this “new updater” will scale to an actual significant userbase, so this will hurt our users (and I say this as a Debian developer with years of experience, we sadly know a thing or two about hurting users).

Defaults matter.

2 Likes

I see that you have already found Pixelforest’s comment : 12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.08 Release - #338 by pixelforest

linking it here one more time for folks who might have missed it.

Have You ordered yours yet? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, I did it as fast as I could, batch 19 :smile:

1 Like