Ethernet Expansion Card

By the way, do you have any 3D renders available?
I couldn’t find any, sorry if I missed them.

1 Like

@Joey_Galloway I have posted them somewhere above.

I saw these two guys.
Can you post of other views of the card?
3D view is convenient.

1 Like

So how would you like it to work? I supply everything and you assemble, I supply main components like the controller and ports and you get everything else?

The passives and ICs look a little too fine pitch for me to hand solder unfortunately. If you went the kit route, maybe sell the reflowed PCB with SMDs attached and end user can solder on the RJ-45 jack?

Would the case be a model the user can print?

Because there’s components on both sides of the board, I’m not sure if low-volume assembly will be cheap.

Yep, it’s 0402 mostly I will be using solder paste but I can supply all SMD assembled and the Ethernet can be soldered by the end user. I will be personally 3d printing the enclosures.

1 Like

May very well be easier for me. Probably will be easier for shipping aswell,

Have you looked into services like pcbway.com?
Looks like PCB+SMD assembly would be about $5/unit + component cost at 50 unit batch. You’d still need to repack and ship, but maybe having a company with pick and place machines and a reflow oven would reduce risk of rework.

I would be getting a reflow oven for assembly.

Alright. Just make sure you factor in the cost of your time and rework of assembly when you compare prices of different options. This will probably be a small-volume product so investment in equipment may not be the best option from a financial standpoint.
That said, as a hobby, having more tools at your fingertips is great :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Alright, as I’m getting quite close to being done with everything so I am able to prototype. I need to know what kind of demand I am looking at, for the 40 - 50 US dollar range how many people would be willing to get one? Also any recommendations for selling them, as I will have it on the Marketplace but would like my own store so does anyone know of a platform that can do it reasonably easily?

Shopify? Etsy? eBay? Amazon?

The only place I have ever sold anything is on eBay, the fees aren’t great-about 10% in the categories I sell in(computer parts) and usually eBay will side with buyers in disputes but there is some seller protection

Honestly I wouldn’t recommend it for you, you are selling a niche product, if the fees are reasonable I would sell exclusively thru the framework marketplace-that’s the first place users will look and generally people shop where it’s easiest-nobody wants to make yet another account on some random website to just buy 1 thing

Being as you are Australian complicated things tho-no idea how that would work-would framework purchase modules from you and store them in a US warehouse and pay you out as they sell? I have no idea

1 Like

That is going to depend on the design, price, shipping (I’m in US) and if on the Framework Marketplace.

I will personally wait for the Marketplace being the place to have one on it. If that’s yours, cool.

My USB-C hub is fine for now at the desk.

1 Like

With a small margin, selling on either eBay/Amazon/etc will eat up your profits with their handling and processing fees.

The way I got around this with my <shameless plug*>roPlug card</shameless plug> is by setting up a Google form and sending the invoice directly with PayPal. With PayPal Invoicing, there’s a charge of 3.49% + fee, but there is business protection that go with it.

*pun unintended, tho ironic

The downside is that there’s no public facing website where you can publicize and such. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

I am willing to keep this community alive and the dyi front. Put me in the list of buyers. Plus it’s a cool story, some 13 year old man solved a problem for a lot of people, I threw money his way!

your schematic looks wrong to me. there’s a bunch of 1.2v pins connected to 3.3v. not sure that would work

There is a voltage regulator in there.

If it blows up it blows up, better to learn than succeed.

2 Likes

yeah, but you didn’t connect the regulator output. i suppose that’s one way of looking at it, but this is an easy fix if you didnt order it already

1 Like

It is in fact connected, show me a image of this,