Ethernet Expansion Card

@mrwm

It would be cool if Framework had a “community marketplace” for people advertise and sell any custom expansions/modifications.

It will be opened for the community next year.

I can’t say much with my lack of knowledge and experience, but @ExplodingWaffle is being the mvp in checking scematics!

There is no issue, everything is wired up correctly.

regout should be connected to the 1.2v pins, i guess through an inductor as it’s a switching supply. bummer realtek doesn’t provide a good reference circuit, but i found this schematic online which appears nice

Yep, it was quite hard sourcing a reference schematic.

U4 is the regulator, the RT 8153 has a built in regulator that isn’t needed, LX is the 1.2V pin. ENSWREG is connected to GND which disables the internal regulator and enables external 1.2V input. If ENSWREG was connected to 3v3 it will enable the internal regulator. Good spotting.

3 Likes

It’s coming together! The first part of the Ethernet expansion card. The other parts should be here by the end of next week.

9 Likes

Just as food for thought (and because I selfishly have a use case), how about an ethernet expansion card that can also power/charge the laptop with PoE+? I’ve never seen that in a laptop and think it would be cool.

I know that would make for a pretty bulky card and heat management would be problem, but also a nice challenge to solve. Having seen other really small power over ethernet solutions, it should definitely be possible.

2 Likes

I don’t have an overwhelming business need, but I’d happily put down $40 for the sheer artistry of this. I love seeing the work you’ve put into literally building your own computer. This is why I bought a framework in the first place. So sign me up.

(To be clear, I would use it — mostly when I’m troubleshooting Linux on the WiFi :stuck_out_tongue: but I know it’s a ‘once a month’ use case at best.)

2 Likes

@confus

Just the transformer for PoE is “chunky”… Getting that alone in a Framework module along with all the parts for PoE and then the actual Ethernet parts… 100 lbs in a 10 lb sack.

Example: Adafruit PoE adapter

6 Likes

Yeah, I know it’s ambitious and I have neither the time nor the experience to pull that off, not even close. However, but I’ve seen smaller PoE blocks than the one you linked at higher wattage that used some GaN-high-frequency magic. But sure, the ethernet jack itself would have to protruding from the module and it would be very uneconomic to produce. Once can dream and it would be the first and only PoE laptop :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

It is one thing I would like to do but would be quite chunky with all the thermal management.

3 Likes

THis is great, a lack of a USB port was the only downside for me in purchasing the Framework Laptop. Now that Gap has been filled :slight_smile:

Due to my footprint I received for the PCB being wrong I will have to reorder my PCB, hopefully will come before the 1st of December.

2 Likes

A quick thing to everyone here is that it will cost me around 30 US dollars to make, I’m currently making a form to check how much interest we have.

1 Like

Everyone please fill this form in, https://forms.gle/6jEjt7Ee7MyQ4b589
I will hopefully opening orders mid December. I probably will do it in a batch system so anyone ordering in December will probably receive it in January to prevent me stressing myself out.

3 Likes

Hi, @Josh_Cook . While I’ve selected 40-50 on the form, I believe it might be a good idea to come up with something like “founder’s edition”, where I would be willing to chip in a bit more to support the build pipeline for the HW.

3 Likes

@Josh_Cook I’ve replued on the form. Note I couldn’t make there: Has to be a chipset that’s well supported in Linux.

1 Like

Yep, it is supported by Linux and has the UNDI driver pre installed into the framework laptop bios. I currently use the RTL8153 that had drivers installed into the Linux 5.13 kernel. Also changed the form to have a text box for any notes.

2 Likes