Feature Request Megathread - Expansion Card

Interesting idea. I think that the physical size of the card might be a limiting factor but you could probably get a left and right button on them at least.

The idea reminds me of those PCMCIA slot mice that were a thing way back.

4 Likes

or instead of a wheel have buttons that are configured as up and down.

that idea is so brilliant, it just made me register in the this forum and tell you: That idea is brilliant.

2 Likes

Wow, PCMCIA and Bluetooth seems like a combination of technologies that probably didnā€™t overlap for long.

Anyway, Iā€™m not sure how good an actual mouse that size could be, but something like a Bluetooth presentation remote expansion card with next slide, prev slide, maybe another button or two (screen blank?), and a laser pointer would be very cool.

6 Likes

Using a gyroscope for the mouse would be useful, but probably will be a tough fit, if it is possible at all.
Would be a great POS to a lot of business people and companies.

how about using 2 cards and connecting them with each other ? One could hold the battery so it works for more then 20 minutes and it would make it more comfortable to hold and use

2 Likes

The idea is that you could make a ā€œbest of both worldsā€ expansion card so you donā€™t need to have an SD to micro SD adapter. Currently for me the two largest constraints are the height of the expansion card and trying to make it USB 3.0.

For the height problem, the combined height of a typical SD reader,micro SD reader and PCB is typically exactly tge height of the toal expansion card or over. Lucky I have an idea that might work, most SD readers micro and not are boxes, the fromt profile where the card goes is a square and my idea is replacing the ā€œtopā€ of that reader that holds in the card with the top/bottom of the expansion card so you save height.
For the problem of USB 3.0, to be honest Iā€™m just kinda out of my depth, Iā€™m relatively confident that it is possible to make it happen within the footprin. But Iā€™m not an actual engineer (yet!) so I dont know how to design a pcb that can do that. Currently I plan on moddifying an existing 3.0 SD reader but it remains to be seen how that will go.

An additional goal that might be super impossible is that in a perfect world id like for at least the micro SD reader to be the kind that click in and out like a button.

2 Likes

I just had a look at the Minisforum V3 3in1 AMD tablet (which should be an inspiration for a future FW product) and saw that it has so called ā€œVLINK DP inā€ support. I could not find any general information about that interface/standard. But to be able to use a Laptop/Tablet screen as standalone Display should be the standard in my opinion. Is it somehow possible to provide such a functionality via the USB-c ports? Or does FrameWork need to provide a different screen controller/mainboard for this?

2 Likes

I love this idea as well. As 2230 ssdā€™s get higher capacities, it would be nice to be able to swap one into an expansion card. Maybe even with the option to buy the blank enclosure to supply our own drives.

I would love to see an expansion card that is a combination of a USB C port AND a flash drive. Itā€™s a somewhat covert way to have some extra storage or a convenient spot to back up your home directory without plugging in an external device.

Bonus points if you add a switch on the top side (out of sight when plugged in) that lets you disconnect the drive like a super spy or whatever.

You could use the DongleHiderPlus combined with a small USB drive like the SanDisk Ultra Fit.

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome and pretty close to what Iā€™m after. Will def take a closer look. Thanks!

1 Like

New request! Iā€™m not sure how simple this would be, but I want a KVM port card! It would have an HDMI IN and USB port that allow me to use the Frameworkā€™s screen, keyboard, and trackpad on a server, pi, etc. Pretty handy.

3 Likes

That would be super useful for me, I donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t be fairly simple. I think that would basically require some form of HDMI capture and some form of mcu (or maybe these sort of chips already exist) that would take take commands from a piece of software on the laptop and transmit them as usb HID.

1 Like

I wonder what the viability of an SDI/HDMI connector in an expansion card for live video production/streaming with software like ā€œLiveStream,ā€ or ā€œOBE?ā€

A modular SDI/HDMI connector for the framework would disrupt a whole cottage industry of incredibly overpriced and underfeatured dedicated video production boxes (and underserved customer base) in the pro-sumer market for boradcast equipmentā€¦

I am currently on a project right now where I am trying to research broadcast equipment to replace my current setup on a Framework and the marriage seems obviousā€¦

1 Like

I think this addon module can be a great usb thingy. Not only would support fingerprint security, else we can provide more secure laptop if the user would like to.

Opinions?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Battery Expansion Expected Specifications

Iā€™d love a version of the audio card with multiple headphone jacks. I carry around a splitter because I do sound design and often need multiple people plugged in. It seems like a pretty straightforward thing to designā€¦

It kinda sorta seems like there might be space for both of them on one expansion card. Is it even possible?

Welcome to the forum.

Possible, yes / maybe. Depending on the capabilities you want from the port and SD card.
But whether itā€™s worth the time & effort, is another question.

Want a MicroSD + full capability USB-C? Thunderbolt, DP alt mode, USB-PD 100W+ charging of the laptop. Even if you can cram all the necessary components in there, way too much work to be worth it, imo.

But a basic USB-A for a keyboard/mouse dongle, which only needs USB 2.0 speeds, + a basic microSD slot. That should be a different story.

A lot of people think it should be easy to have multiple things in one card. Often because they only think about it from the outside, mostly fitting the external holes for the ports or slots.