Feature Request Megathread - Expansion Card

thanks for replying

Is there any chance framework will work on a smart card reader expansion bay? The ONLY reason i don’t have a framework laptop right now is that i need a smart card reader for work. I’m extremely mobile, so a usb expansion bay + a usb smart card reader is a massive pain, enough so that i spent a lot of money having a Lenovo T16 made to order and one of the things i had done was adding a smart card reader.

I’m not the only one out there using smart cards, and it would really open framework up to an entire market of workers out there who require smart cards for their work.

Welcome to the forum

Do you mean an expansion card or expansion bay? The expansion bay is only found on the Framework 16, and it’s located at the back, optionally housing the dGPU.

If you mean an expansion card, trouble is, a standard smart card is larger than the size of an expansion card. Though some community members have proposed an expansion card that extends slightly under the laptop in order to have a smart card side in just under the laptop.

2 Likes