Feature Request Megathread - Input Module

Sorry, do you have the post or whatever they shared about it with the details of the problem? I wanted to delve deeper

https://youtu.be/UeCdBVHYa_8?si=x6_T-zPypnM3pwLW @ 8:52

1 Like

The touchpad is actually an I2C interface, and the keyboard-side modules are USB 2.0 so there’s not a lot of bandwidth to play with. But if someone could find a reasonable thin touchscreen module to play with it would be interesting to try to get it mounted and hooked up.

I tend to find uses for my laptop where I want to show my screen to someone but not have the input available to them (mainly special needs students).

I have a small wireless keyboard/trackpad that I use if I need to change something, but some of the youth I deal with have a lot of trouble with restraint when theres so many buttons in front of them.

Hi

You can disconnect the keyboard via the internal cable or use the software to disable the keyboard.

Is this for the 13" or 16" ?

Disconnecting the keyboard and or trackpad would be the easiest option. Are you on Windows 11, or a Linux distro? You may be able to just disable them in software.

If a non-working keyboard and trackpad would be upsetting for some of the students, perhaps add an adhesive vinyl sheet over them to put them out of sight & remove the expectation that there are controls. Adhesive vinyl sheets are available in a multitude of colors.

Disconnecting them might help. I’m on windows 11.

The students have less of a care what the buttons do and more of a desire to just push them which can mess with whatever we’re trying to show them.

Touchpad

Keyboard

Press Win+X and select Device Manager from the list.
Find Keyboards and expand it.
Right-click on the internal keyboard and click Disable.
If there is no Disable option listed, click Uninstall.
Your laptop’s internal keyboard should now be disabled.

I like this idea from a hardware hacking perspective: a spacer is an excellent starting point to making your own “whatever”. Easy to cut out openings for whatever it is you want to make if you can start with a cheapish spacer.

Just a quick idea… i think theyd be easy to do and be another cheaper add on to a keyboard deck. Having a medium sized dry erase module in place of the numpad would be fun.

8 Likes

We prototyped a sticky note medium sized input module with a slim pen holder.

14 Likes

That is horrible, I love it so much.

on this, it wouldn’t be hard to diy. They sell dry erase and chalkboard paint that works reasonably well a person could likely just use that on their included spacers. Might need, at worst, to sand it down a bit. With a 3d print module that juts out to hold a pen you’re set. or, just cut it off a dollar store dry erase board and hot glue it to the back.

I cannot wait to see the insanely niche or mostly useless junk people are going to make for this system. Why not have an integrated fidget spinner, scratchpad like discussed here, magnetic screw bed (careful with that one), or if someone can shove it in even a tomagochi style pet with that prototype screen.

I’ll participate but mostly in spirit. Imma make a self destruct module. Every time you open it, a small spike comes up to break your screen when you close it.

5 Likes

Have you guys thought about an e-ink module? you could take notes directly on it and save the notes in an app.

5 Likes

Awesome.

I suspect the projected price got that idea filed away… neat though.

1 Like

That might even be doable with the current LED matrix.

2 Likes

The original tamagotchi was 32x16; the current matrix is 9x34. It might make more sense to use a small e-ink or LCD display at any rate in order to minimize power draw.

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: 7-segment display input module

Why were all these unrelated ideas and discussions merged into this one thread? This doesn’t seem very useful or readable to me.

I have actual hardware being fabbed for at least three of the ideas mega-merged here (touchpad with buttons, seven segment display input module, “integrated drawing tablet”) and I guess I’m going to have to open new threads for them now? I’m not going to keep posting progress updates to get buried in a mega thread.

1 Like

This is a megathread for ‘ideas’ or ‘feature requests’ only with no progress. if you plan to make any of these things, please feel free to create new posts for each so we can follow your progress.

Look two and three posts above yours for evidence the most recent merge was a bit overaggressive.