Feature Request Megathread

No, LPDDR4 is a different thing. LPDDR3 coexisted with DDR3L (and apparently LPDDR1 existed and was used in the iPhone 3GS), where the latter was just DDR3 that was undervolted a little. DDR4L is technically unofficial but theoretically DDR4 at 1.05v, but otherwise the same chips as DDR4 in the same modules.
I found a Super User post where someone says they bought DDR4L 2133, so clearly it exists in some capacity. The two four answers on this Quora post also seem to agree DDR4L exists, though one is just talking about SODIMM and not specifically DDR4L.

1 Like

It kinda scales with size. And I take this as a possible blocker on FW’s upgrading path as a larger-sized battery may not fit in the current model and may need a redesign on the chassis/boards. But thats the best way I can think of to deal with the current high battery-drain issue.

imo best way to deal with it is software! Designing a whole new chassis and mainboard would be counter-goals I think!

Would be great if we can configure the fan curve profiles in the BIOS too.

2 Likes

Barring that, I know of this great little program called fancontrol that I found on the LTT forums. Give it a shot, it can even be configured to start on boot or multiple profiles I think.

In Linux, thanks to ectool, you can actually do better and control the fan curves without going into the BIOS:

There’s also a neat little daemon which lets you do more advanced fan control strategies:

2 Likes

Yea, I just was thinking of a hardware level one so it doesn’t matter what OS do I switch to.

But you are right, being able to control at this level would be similar to Mac OSX where they are even able to achieve Power States as well as even downclocking even below Intel’s spec sheet. Maybe I will play around with it tonight.

1 Like

I’ve seen SIM card Expansion Cards requested multiple times.

However, how about an integrated SIM card on the mainboard?

This way, an expansion slot is saved for something else. Also, if the SIM expansion cards are eventually released, it would be a good way to enable dual-SIM configurations.

2 Likes

It’s not just a SIM card it’s all the network (frequency) transmitters and receivers and antenna that have to be worked into the main board

1 Like

It would be best to save the functionality as an expansion card for multiple reasons. One is that each region of the world uses different frequencies and tuning antennae for multiple regions would add complexity. More basically, there will many users that do not want additional capabilities attached to the machine that could be used for tracking (myself included).

2 Likes

This makes me feel like even an expansion card would be unlikely.

I am aware of the different world frequency standards, but more so for signal creating devices (WiFi APs).
From my experience, phones seem to work without problem in multiple countries. So, do devices that use WiFi.
What would be the differences in this case between a laptop using a SIM card versus a laptop using a WiFi card?

That is a good point about privacy concerns.

1 Like

because they have modems that supports many different bands/frequencies for each standard, so its likely that at least one of them is in use in the country you’re in. It’s not always optimal or sometimes there isnt one, but it generally works out

EDIT: It just occurred to me that I should probably add that this situation was NOT always the case. Years ago you needed specific phones to travel to specific countries. This is what ‘dual/triple/quad band’ was about. The more bands it had the more likely it was to work in different countries. It’s rarely an issue with phones now, but modem modules can still be specific to certain regions.

Wifi is generally much the same wherever you are, the different local regs only allow or disallow certain channels or restrict transmit power.

3 Likes

Allow the laptop to be used as a thunderbolt dock, with the onboard devices connected through it (display, keyboard/trackpad, webcam, storage etc all acting as though it’s connected through a dock)

Here’s one so easy that Framework literally has to do less than they’re currently doing to satisfy it: prebuilts that don’t come with a Windows license. Not even by default, just as a BTO option. Unless Microsoft is still threatening to pull Windows licensing entirely if they sell too many laptops without it preinstalled like they used to in the 1990s. Which I doubt would be a big deal to Framework’s audience, to be honest; if you’re so stubbornly against being forced to learn things that you resent being tasked to install your own OS I doubt you’re buying a laptop whose main selling point is opening it up and working with the internals.

1 Like

Bios Feature request: Lowest Battery Percentage at which charging begins

I have maximum Battery charge capacity settings in BIOS set to 80%. I am always plugged in, which causes the laptop to keep charging on and off as it is near 80%. I would like a bios settings where I can set the lowest battery charge percentage at which the charging can begin say 50%.

This will ensure that my battery is always between 50 to 80%. Also, I hope that with the ectool on linux I can change these settings from operating system so that I can be flexible if I need to charge despite being more than 50%

And why is that a problem? I have mine set to 78% and I don’t see an issue.

@amoun If you don’t see any issue you don’t have to use this feature.

I don’t understnd your statment

• You want and extra feature
  • I asked what problem you are having that you want this extra feature
  • You say I don’t have to use it, what it ??

I use the feature that exists and why would I want to stop using it ??
Regarding any future feature as you mention why would I not want to use it ??

That I don’t have a problem in the present is not related to ant future so I don’t really care if other features are added.

But clearly you do care hence the ‘request’ so I was only asking why the current feature of only a max is an issue.

You say

Not really a cause but a function and what I don’t see why this is an issue as I have never noticed it.

It may be that I am missing something that you are aware of that makes the charging such as issue that you would like a ‘low’ level to be set to.

I think it a reasonable idea if there is a problem with a battery going from 79 to 80 every few minutes, but I can’t see the problem.

If a battery is repaetedly charging 1% and mine does a lot less than that as the 78% I use doesn’t change ~ so the very small amount of charge doesn’t realy heat the battery ‘causing’ any damage. However charging for 50% to 80% twice a day in my case would equate the best part of a whole cycle per day and would subject the battery to a max charge rate and a fair amount of heat.

So I see no reason to have a lower cut off as it would theoretically damage the battery more.

So sorry what is the issue you have? Have I missed or misunderstood something about battery charging ??

It’s been on my wish list as well:

And it’s definitely an issue seen by / experienced by / known to some users:

Don’t take me at my word, but my current understanding about battery degradation:

During the initial charge (AKA. formation that happens in the factory) an SEI layer is formed, that lets ions flow between the anode and the cathode material (but is not electrically conductive). During a charge/discharge cycle, and the expansion / contraction of some crystal lattices this SEI layer can & do break. The more change between the charge level, the more contraction / expansion, the more breaking.

Where the SEI breaks, it re-forms, and becomes thicker, blocking the flow of ions more and more (and more active material being tied up in the SEI as it gets thicker) ==> causing battery degradation

Based on this, charging / discharging a very small amount more often is much preferable to a deeper charge/discharge cycle from a battery health perspective => hysteresis should be as small as possible

There are some very smart people on this forum so if I’m wrong, please do correct me!

Also, my 11th gen motherboard never seems to switch between charge/discharge if it’s plugged in, I’d think the root cause (charge/discharge loop) should be investigated, instead of trying to handle the effect (battery charge method) in alternative ways

1 Like