Feature Request Megathread

Reiterating again that I would instantly buy a framework should a touchscreen option be available. If this doesn’t happen over the next year or so when I’ll definitely be looking to replace my current machine, I will have to go with an alternative device even though I love pretty much everything else about the framework.

2 Likes

I would like to see a power button with an RGB light that uses this to inform the user of various things that the user can control. It can fade to indicate battery level, or have different colours for different performance profiles, or to indicate CPU temperature or usage levels. Maybe flash or brighten when you run as superuser or administrator. Whatever is possible.

1 Like

15" or 16", 1080p, Touchscreen with decent brightness (>=300 Nit)

Distant #2:
-AMD Zen 3 APUs or newer.

OLED display
AMD cpu
Thinkpad style keyboard switches
CNC aluminum chassis
More refine, silent and solid hinge, not wobbly
Touch pad leveled to the surface of pom rest
All black color

2 Likes

Laptop:

• 4K screen that can be used at 200% scaling in Linux, the current display is an awkward middle ground where 100% is too small and 200% is too large, and 150% doesn’t work well in Linux yet and probably won’t for a decade
  • OLED screen
  • eInk screen (I’d totally buy a 2nd laptop with an eInk screen)
  • touch screen
  • 6 expansion slots instead of 4
  • ability to plug 2 m.2 SSDs
  • Dvorak keyboard
  • less fingerprint-prone keys
  • more premium-looking material on display support bar where it says “[logo] framework” – that bar looks cheap
  • better quality feel on the camera/mic switches, I switch them multiple times a day and they feel like they’re going to fall off
  • for the camera switch, don’t have it pull power on the camera, instead just actually cover the camera with a physical barrier. with the current setup it crashes videoconferencing software if you switch off the camera mid-call
  • glossy, smooth bezel
  • power button LED turn red when battery is low

Expansion cards:

• normal (not micro) SD card reader
  • GPS + IMU + Barometer in one (same sensor suite as phones)
  • At least GPS with an FTDI chip!
  • USB hub with 2 USB-C ports in one card
5 Likes

Changing battery charge level from userland is now available on BIOS 3.07, thanks to @DHowett !

Details available here: Exploring the Embedded Controller

1 Like

Personally, I wouldn’t advocate for an amd-based system without thunderbolt 3 support or at least compatibility even tho I’d love to get one of these with an amd-based cpu.

One thing I would love to see is an aluminum case just for the motherboard (no keyboard, battery, etc…) so we could re-use older version motherboards as a small form factor pc.

1 Like

6-8 core CPU
a low-mid tier discrete GPU
15"(or 16"-17") display with touch screen (matte PLEASE) (and brighter? 700 nits maybe?)
Windows Hello (IR face rec thingie)
Sweet sweet low profile cherry PLEASE
another NVMe slot can’t hurt right?:sweat_smile:
larger trackpad

screen with 16:9 ratio

Option to purchase a keyboard with scalloped keys similar to a lenovo ThinkPad.

1 Like

My request revolves around my use of Thinkpads in the past. One thing I greatly loved about the Thinkpads is when they were sleeping (suspend or hibernation) there was half moon led on the back of the display that lit. In this way you had a confirmation that sleep or hibernation worked. It also allowed you to come back to the device and see that it was sleeping.

Hibernation was a little different. When hibernating the LED on the back would flash, same as if you were suspending, but once the system power down as a consequence of hibernation the led went out. In this way you weren’t wasting power.

My idea is that we could use the LEDs on the sides of the Framework Laptop to approximate a similar feature for standby or hibernation. When the BIOS detects a power state change that could trigger it. This sort of visual confirmation was an important part of having confidence to stuff your thinkpad in a bag, etc.

Maybe the left LED could be reserved for sleep status confirmations.

Just an idea I had.

4 Likes

I have not seen this requested anywhere before. But, I would like a bezel with an integrated privacy filter. Whether or not it can be “turned on or off” is a nice-to-have, but I would rather just have a permanent privacy filter I can remove by changing the bezel instead of having to implement it in other archaic ways.

I’m bet HP and/or 3M still have that under patent with their “SureView” technology, although I must say I was very underwhelmed by it when I saw it in person.

One thing I did notice is that no matter what port configuration you take, you will always need a USB-C expansion card on the computer to charge it.
So how about one USB-C port on the case of the laptop about here? That could free up one of the slots and line up with the rest of the ports.

11 Likes

I would like to request 2 fewer expansion slots!

So why? Expansion slots aren’t space efficient and use extra power. I still want some expansion slots, but I don’t need all the ports to be changeable. In place of the two expansion ports I would like to request an “expansion garage” on each side.

An expansion garage would be a standard size empty space to pass through ports on the motherboard just like the rear I/O panel on an ATX style desktop case. Ex.
atx-case

Reasons for replacing two expansion slots with expansion garages:

1. More ports can be packed more into the same amount of space.
  2. Built in ports use less power.
  3. Most users would be happy with a similar port layout: 2 usb-c ports, 1-2 usb-a ports, 1 HDMI port, 0-1 sd card slots. Most of these(maybe all?) could fit in the space reclaimed from two expansion slots.
  4. New Motherboards could update the port selection in the future.

But this is the whole point of the framework, the interchangeable ports, I would have bought another laptop with upgradable storage and whatnot but the expansion cards stood out. It is intended to prevent hard port replacements.

1 Like

I really like the interchangeable ports, too. :slight_smile: Since getting my laptop I’ve found that I always have usb-c expansion cards in the top left/right slots. At least one is always needed for charging, and I only change out the bottom two slots.

I would trade some flexibility on the top two ports if I could get more ports. I’m imagining having a usb-c plus a usb-a port on one side and a usb-c plus an HDMI port on the other plus still keeping the bottom two expansion slots.

I’m waiting for a WUXGA+ matte screen.
Don’t want to bother with fractionnal scaling !
And matte, because well it’s a (work) tool, not a toy. I need it readable, not shiny :slight_smile:

AMD version without pluton
deeper chassis
matte screen
trackball
built in intel ethernet
more expansion bays
2nd nvme slot
wwan slot

2 Likes

Posting as someone who has been using the Framework for slightly more than a month: I did not expect this coming in, but I find the lack of physical trackpad buttons extremely jarring. That’s pretty much my only gripe with this laptop.

An alternate input cover with trackpad buttons would be a day 1 purchase.